Photo

Forbes: Microsoft Is Fast Turning Into A Sideshow

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#91 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,838 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:10

Maybe worried is a bad word then. I'd say vigilant, or market aware, but worried? By your definition every company should be worried all the time and that's no way to run a company. It's nonsensical to think that.

I think worried is appropriate. Running a company worried or even paranoid when you're the top dog is the only way to stay the top dog. Shareholders don't really care much about how you got there, only their return. Microsoft has made sizeable investments in emerging markets (tablets and phones) and are bottom feeding in both. And their cash cow, Office, is squarely in Google's sights who is continuously wining and dining decision makers. They're worried. Windows desktop OS is really a non-issue here to be quite honest.

#92 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:17

I think worried is appropriate. Running a company worried or even paranoid when you're the top dog is the only way to stay the top dog. Shareholders don't really care much about how you got there, only their return. Microsoft has made sizeable investments in emerging markets (tablets and phones) and are bottom feeding in both. And their cash cow, Office, is squarely in Google's sights who is continuously wining and dining decision makers. They're worried. Windows desktop OS is really a non-issue here to be quite honest.

That is absolutely true. Steve Ballmer gave an interview for a TV network here in Brazil, I think it was 2008. He said he was worried about Google and the reporter said "But you're the Goliath and Google is just beginning..." and he said "They're Goliath... we want to be David".

#93 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,769 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:22

The tiles are ugly, confusing and I had a hard time resizing them, if I recall, I couldn't actually do that.
Also, there's text everywhere and it is clickable. Well... sometimes. thus, TEXT UI IS RIDICULOUS. That's going against all the studies pointing to icons as the easiest ones to deal with an OS.

Huh? Confusing? They're straight forward dude. They display snippets of information, how is that confusing? And resizing tiles isn't that hard, just right click the tile, and the option is down at the bottom.

And there's NO CLICKABLE TEXT in Windows 8. None. That's all Windows Phone, and even there there's very little of it.

#94 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:25

Huh? Confusing? They're straight forward dude. They display snippets of information, how is that confusing? And resizing tiles isn't that hard, just right click the tile, and the option is down at the bottom.

And there's NO CLICKABLE TEXT in Windows 8. None. That's all Windows Phone, and even there there's very little of it.

The tiles keep showing whatever they want. What if I only want a damn icon?

There's clickable text, of course... The charm bar, the Personalization are pretty much text.

#95 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• 1,210 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:26

This explains it all.. when a company is ran by an idiot like this

http://www.youtube.com/v/KMU0tzLwhbE

There's nothing else to be said and certainly doesn't come as a surprise they are a joke

More of your bull****...somehow I knew I'd see your post among first 5.

#96 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,649 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:27

Yeah, maybe. Once you have time, patience and curiosity to click every single text and geometry you see on the screen, because there's no way to know WTF is clickable.
Brilliant.

Uh what... It's perfectly clear what is clickable, unless you're blind, but then any GUI is confusing.

#97 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,769 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:28

There's clickable text, of course... The charm bar, the Personalization are pretty much text.

Lol. It's clear you've never used Windows 8, have you? You can turn live tiles off.

And I forgot about the CP. Yes, there's clickable text, but it's still obvious you can click it, just like the clickable text in the Windows 7 CP. But no one will ever complain about that, because Windows 7 is the industry darling.

Screenshot (1846).png
There's your resizing and live tile options. Simply right click a tile, and you'll see this pop up. You've known how to right click objects for extra options forever now. Windows 8 doesn't change that.

#98 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,649 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:30

The tiles are ugly, confusing and I had a hard time resizing them, if I recall, I couldn't actually do that.
Also, there's text everywhere and it is clickable. Well... sometimes. thus, TEXT UI IS RIDICULOUS. That's going against all the studies pointing to icons as the easiest ones to deal with an OS.

How did you have a problem resizing tiles? Right click, enlarge. If you found that confusing, I hope you never used ANY other Graphical UI

Right click and turn off the live tile...

Also the charm bar is icons, not text.

The more you pst the more I feel like you have NEVER even tried Windows 8

#99 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:43

Lol. It's clear you've never used Windows 8, have you? You can turn live tiles off.

And I forgot about the CP. Yes, there's clickable text, but it's still obvious you can click it, just like the clickable text in the Windows 7 CP. But no one will ever complain about that, because Windows 7 is the industry darling.

Screenshot (1846).png
There's your resizing and live tile options. Simply right click a tile, and you'll see this pop up. You've known how to right click objects for extra options forever now. Windows 8 doesn't change that.

'

How did you have a problem resizing tiles? Right click, enlarge. If you found that confusing, I hope you never used ANY other Graphical UI

Right click and turn off the live tile...

Also the charm bar is icons, not text.

The more you pst the more I feel like you have NEVER even tried Windows 8

Yes... I did use Windows 8, but honestly... I'm used to know exactly what I wanted to do and be able to do that. I won't learn the little secrets of Windows 8 because, well... Metro Apps are pretty useless to me. If I want that kind of behavior for a certain app, I'd rather have widgets or websites that do that pretty well. I'm not using a tablet. I'm on a Retina Macbook Pro, and if I want widgets, I can certainly swipe with three fingers to the right and access all the widgets I want. I don't have to deal with another UX made for tablets to do what I want ON A DESKTOP.

Good luck with your frankenstein OS. It is not for me.

#100 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 2,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:43

Large or small isn't much of a choice for someone with dozens of shortcuts. I wish tiles would be resizable to any size I desire.

#101 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,769 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:49

'

Yes... I did use Windows 8, but honestly... I'm used to know exactly what I wanted to do and be able to do that. I won't learn the little secrets of Windows 8 because, well... Metro Apps are pretty useless to me. If I want that kind of behavior for a certain app, I'd rather have widgets or websites that do that pretty well. I'm not using a tablet. I'm on a Retina Macbook Pro, and if I want widgets, I can certainly swipe with three fingers to the right and access all the widgets I want. I don't have to deal with another UX made for tablets to do what I want ON A DESKTOP.

Good luck with your frankenstein OS. It is not for me.

Metro isn't just for tablets, dude, but whatever.

Large or small isn't much of a choice for someone with dozens of shortcuts. I wish tiles would be resizable to any size I desire.

That's supposedly coming with "Blue", a la Windows Phone 8. But I still have dozens of tiles on my screen too, the fact that I can separate them into groups helps alleviate clutter.

#102 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:52

Metro isn't just for tablets, dude, but whatever.

Of course it isn't... Microsoft told you that it is for desktops too. Just like hovercrafts are made for land and water. They sell like hotcakes, don't they? At least in Florida. Or don't? /s

#103 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,649 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:54

I'm still waiting for you to make any actual arguments and not just troll with replies like "it's not, but I don't have any reasons wp for why it's not, but it really isn't and you're all fanboys"

#104 Luis Mazza

Luis Mazza

Neowinian

• 1,733 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:56

I'm still waiting for you to make any actual arguments and not just troll with replies like "it's not, but I don't have any reasons wp for why it's not, but it really isn't and you're all fanboys"

I'm still waiting for you to engane on serious thinking and start to make sense, as you're ALWAYS the only one who is lost with my arguments. Maybe you should calibrate your english comprehension? Or maybe you should stop calling other people trolls, when you have nothing else better to say than the usual defensive BS like "you're trolling". Give me a break.

#105 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,769 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 22:58

Of course it isn't... Microsoft told you that it is for desktops too. Just like hovercrafts are made for land and water. They sell like hotcakes, don't they? At least in Florida. Or don't? /s

Microsoft didn't tell me ****. I tried the OS, and I like it. I see the OS for what it is: The foundation for Windows releases to come. The start of dynamic computing. Windows 8 actually saves me time.