Forbes: Microsoft Is Fast Turning Into A Sideshow

Windows 8 is a giant pain in the ass. I don't care what the lovers of it say, it's crap, and deep down I think everyone knows that it's not moving like Microsoft actually believed it would. They went too deep, too fast, and it's backfired.

Windows Phone 8 is all on Nokia. They didn't produce enough phones to meet the demand, and by the time they were finally available, no one cared.

• Like 3

Or the fact that they're so used to Windows that they assume because Windows operates that way there for all computers must do. For me I didn't come from the Windows world when I migrated to Mac OS X (I was originally from the Atari/Amiga world) so the ideas of OS X were pretty much already inline with the way I was thinking. The larger point that should be made is the fact that Forbes made no caveats regarding their claim of it being more difficult - "for long term users of Windows the migration to Mac OS X might not be smooth sailing" would be a good caveat but the claim was that Mac OS X is lacking user friendliness full stop (across the board declaration) is silly. As for Windows usability stupidity - take the category view of the control panel and then come back and say it was a 'great idea' that 'should be replicated by others'.

What's wrong with the category view ?

as for usability, hitting enter doesn't open the selected file :facepalm:

Windows 8 is a giant pain in the ass. I don't care what the lovers of it say, it's crap, and deep down I think everyone knows that it's not moving like Microsoft actually believed it would. They went too deep, too fast, and it's backfired.

Windows Phone 8 is all on Nokia. They didn't produce enough phones to meet the demand, and by the time they were finally available, no one cared.

I've handily crossed out all the opinions, not facts, in your post for you.

• Like 2

I've handily crossed out all the opinions, not facts, in your post for you.

I wasn't aware I was only allowed to post fact. My apologies, I'll be sure to keep my opinion out of discussions in the future.

• Like 2

Nokia is up 15%. What are you talking about?

I wasn't aware I was only allowed to post fact. My apologies, I'll be sure to keep my opinion out of discussions in the future.

The difference is that what you posted wasn't posted as "opinion" but as factual data.

Data is something that has to be factual, you can't post data as opinion.

if the fact is that intel has increased sales by 15%, you can't say that "intel is crap and no one is buying intel anymore"

U.S. Dept. of Defense disagrees.

So does my workplace. I was upgraded to Windows 8 (with Office 2013!) yesterday at work as part of our IT's pilot. I admit it's only tens of systems worldwide and my employer is not the biggest (only 2.75B in market cap as of now) but we are a big name in enterprise software (most of our Software is non-MS technologies). So the next time anyone here claims Windows 8 doesn't belong in enterprise I am just going to reply STFU. I moved my entire environment to Windows 8 and been using it without any problems. The multi-monitor improvements in Win8 are already rocking my world. :D

Or the fact that they're so used to Windows that they assume because Windows operates that way there for all computers must do. For me I didn't come from the Windows world when I migrated to Mac OS X (I was originally from the Atari/Amiga world) so the ideas of OS X were pretty much already inline with the way I was thinking. The larger point that should be made is the fact that Forbes made no caveats regarding their claim of it being more difficult - "for long term users of Windows the migration to Mac OS X might not be smooth sailing" would be a good caveat but the claim was that Mac OS X is lacking user friendliness full stop (across the board declaration) is silly. As for Windows usability stupidity - take the category view of the control panel and then come back and say it was a 'great idea' that 'should be replicated by others'.

Category view is bad? I get annoyed everytime I see someone change it back to classic. That is just classic "who moved my cheese syndrome".

OS X differs from commonly accepted computing paradigms and its user friendlieness is a common myth.

- enter to rename: seriously? (as mentioned by HawkMan above)

- delete button to backspace! why?

- obscure symbols in keyboard shortcuts (for example look at the Force Quit combo in apple menu)

- Command + O to open a document/application: why?

etc. etc. It is no more user friendly than Windows or Linux or Windows 8 in particular. I think you are confusing polish with usability and even that is questionable in recent releases.

"I don't care what the lovers of it say, it's crap"

My personal opinion is it's crap, your personal opinion is it's crap - that doesn't mean it is crap or that anyone else thinks its crap and I wouldn't bash someone for liking it nor state outrightly 'its crap' like I was quoting something really important :s.

So does my workplace. I was upgraded to Windows 8 (with Office 2013!) yesterday at work as part of our IT's pilot. I admit it's only tens of systems worldwide and my employer is not the biggest (only 2.75B in market cap as of now) but we are a big name in enterprise software (most of our Software is non-MS technologies). So the next time anyone here claims Windows 8 doesn't belong in enterprise I am just going to reply STFU. I moved my entire environment to Windows 8 and been using it without any problems. The multi-monitor improvements in Win8 are already rocking my world. :D

Nice. :)

The difference is that what you posted wasn't posted as "opinion" but as factual data.

Data is something that has to be factual, you can't post data as opinion.

if the fact is that intel has increased sales by 15%, you can't say that "intel is crap and no one is buying intel anymore"

Oh, did I provide a source of my "fact"? No? Then it's not fact.

Nokia is up 15%. What are you talking about?

That doesn't mean a thing. They still didn't meet demand.

Oh, did I provide a source of my "fact"? No? Then it's not fact.

That doesn't mean a thing. They still didn't meet demand.

The point was that soem thigns can't be states as if they where facts, not even if you put IMHO in front of it.

you can't say "IMHO, Nokia sales are going down the drain" when the fact is Nokia sales are going up, and the rest of your fact is wrong as well. a lot of peopl buy HTC WP8 phones as well, for some reason, I'm guessing they're living under a rock and haven't heard of the Lumia 920.

The point was that soem thigns can't be states as if they where facts, not even if you put IMHO in front of it.

you can't say "IMHO, Nokia sales are going down the drain" when the fact is Nokia sales are going up, and the rest of your fact is wrong as well. a lot of peopl buy HTC WP8 phones as well, for some reason, I'm guessing they're living under a rock and haven't heard of the Lumia 920.

I didn't say Nokia sales were going down the drain, nor did I hint at that. I stated that they had supply issues, that's a fact. I noted that the hype died off by the time they finally got decent supply to market, that's an observation.

Just because the 920 is an amazing device, doesn't mean there was enough hype. I was lucky enough to get one, I would love nothing more than these things to be in the hands of everyone. WP8 is an amazing OS, and the 920 is an amazing device. That's my opinion if it wasn't clear. ;)

Nokia "exceeded expectations". (http://www.neowin.ne...ed-expectations)

Care to cite a source for your BS?

He can't, because it's BS.

I seriously wonder who these people talk to that hate 8. The only people I know that hate 8 are the people that are very tech savvy, because they hate the change in workflow. To them I say, learn to adapt.

Every person I've met so far that was not tech savvy (student, faculty, or otherwise) loves windows 8. They love the start screen, they love the touchpad gestures on their new laptops, they love their touchscreen laptops, and none of them have any problems with usability.

I've upgraded people, warned them it would be hard to use, and said I'd train them. Before I had a chance to they'd already figured out most of the OS and only had one or two questions (eg how do you change the time zone?)

8 is going to take off, especially as more and more people get touch screen laptops and computers. I can almost guarantee either this generation, or the next generation of Apple computers is going to come with touchscreens in response.

EDIT:

PM me if you need me to run you through using Google to find things out yourself.

You quoted articles about the phone selling out. That means the item was popular, not that Nokia didn't make enough phones.

If the iPhone sells out, it's not because of stock shortages, it's because it's popular.

I know it's too hard for you to wrap your brain around the idea of a Windows phone being popular, but you're really going to have to get used to it.

So, these sources all lean toward strong sales. Which is exactly what the Neowin article I linked confirmed.

He can't, because it's BS.

I seriously wonder who these people talk to that hate 8. The only people I know that hate 8 are the people that are very tech savvy, because they hate the change in workflow. To them I say, learn to adapt.

Every person I've met so far that was not tech savvy (student, faculty, or otherwise) loves windows 8. They love the start screen, they love the touchpad gestures on their new laptops, they love their touchscreen laptops, and none of them have any problems with usability.

I've upgraded people, warned them it would be hard to use, and said I'd train them. Before I had a chance to they'd already figured out most of the OS and only had one or two questions (eg how do you change the time zone?)

8 is going to take off, especially as more and more people get touch screen laptops and computers. I can almost guarantee either this generation, or the next generation of Apple computers is going to come with touchscreens in response.

EDIT:

You quoted articles about the phone selling out. That means the item was popular, not that Nokia didn't make enough phones.

If the iPhone sells out, it's not because of stock shortages, it's because it's popular.

I know it's too hard for you to wrap your brain around the idea of a Windows phone being popular, but you're really going to have to get used to it.

Would you like a photo of the red Nokia Lumia I use? Or would you like a photo of the white one I have at home? I can take a photo of both of them if you want.

There was a global supply shortage. The articles confirm that.

I'm not doubting they sold strong. I know they sold strong. There was still a shortage.

You are only allowed to post opinions so long as dot and hawk agree with them. Otherwise they and their cabal will attack until a mod locks the thread. Sad, predictable and unlikely to change....

How does him showing enthusiasm for developers make him an idiot?

I agree and with all that excitement and adrenaline that must go through the guys system he really needs to get that sweat issue under control. People call Ballmer an idiot and do you really think he cares what anybody thinks about him. Driving home from his office in Redmond everyday after a couple hours of work wondering how he can spend his money and laughing all the way.

Ballmer_zps6006b7a1.jpg