Town plans video game burning

connecticut activision square enix violence

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:13

I don't believe Charles Manson played any video games..

#17 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,750 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:16

Chritian Bale burning video games while doing some ninja tricks with guns. Sounds like a good plan to me.

#18 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,529 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:38

Yup, blame books, slasher flicks, more subtle horror movies, music and games......... (Burning plastic disks, yup that'll work. Not to mention the pollution of those gases escaping into the immediate surroundings)
So once, lets say, for arguement sake, you ban everything that could be banned because it might have a negative impact, and these fu**ers still go out on killing sprees, what next?

Edit, come to think of it, can someone reply to me after the event, on how many games were actually returned to be burned?

#19 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:11

Scapegoating 101

#20 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:17

In wake of the Newtown, Connecticut Sandy Hook elementary school shooting, a small Connecticut town about 30 miles away, Southington, has started organizing a violent video game buyback program with the intention of destroying them once they have been sold back. Yes, that’s a little reminiscent of a good old-fashioned book burning.

The event being held on January 12 is the product of SouthingtonSOS, a group of Southington organizations like the YMCA, Chamber of Commerce, fire department, and board of education.

Following the Sandy Hook shooting, Joe Erardi, the superintendent of Southington School, said the school received a flood of emails from concerned Southington parents asking how they could help the neighboring Newtown, as well as how they could better protect their children’s school from some kind of similar tragedy. Erardi’s response did lead off with the proper advice of recommending that parents talk to their children about violent video games, as it’s a parent’s responsibility for how their child is raised, rather than the responsibility of, for example, Activision or Square Enix. However, he then directed parents to the video game buyback drive, noting that they’ll receive a $25 gift card for dumping off some violent games.

What’ll happen to those games? Erardi said that the discs will be snapped, thrown in the dumpster, and most likely incinerated, making the event nearly indistinguishable from a book burning.

more

Oh why oh why do people always have to be so ignorant. Jesus!

#21 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,729 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:19

I bet I could cook up a nice batch of convincing fakes with my inkjet disc printer and some spare DVD cases and cash in on some $25 gift cards.

#22 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,657 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:23

i have been playing video games from the age 13 to now i am 37 yrs old and i do not want to go kill people .

i learned right from wrong from my parents its as simple as that.

ignorant people will always be ignorant.

Well said.
Same goes for me too.

#23 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,529 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:33

Well said.
Same goes for me too.

Likewise
Almost an identical age too, both time started and current

#24 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,952 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:35

Looks like a great way to make money and not lose anything. Simply hand over any steam games (of course without the keys) boxes. They can distroy or try to use them but will be useless without the keys while you can redownload the games through the steam client as much as you like. A steam retail game cd is just a way to transport files (for those with slow or no internet connections).

#25 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:54

"Murica!" ... No seriously, you're all ****ing stupid.

Video Games cause violence, BURN THEM!

Muslims Cause violence, Burn Qu'rans!

Witches cause violence, Burn Them!

Some books are unholy, Burn Them!

... You get my point, right leaning Americans are Neanderthals at best.

#26 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,366 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:25

Ah well, I've heard plastic fumes cause loads of health problems, and healthcare is expensive in america....
Anyway this assumes anyone in the area actually cares less.

#27 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,674 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 14:59

Let's burn a few bible's and quran's whilst we're at it. After all, they're FULL of violence and hate and have incited countless murders and wars!

#28 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,523 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 16:52

I don't believe Charles Manson played any video games..

I think Jack-the-Ripper did. :shifty:

#29 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 17:48

If you want to cast blame, one could start with Hollywood. How many people did John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino ...etc...etc kill in the movies? Thousands. I grew up watching westerns and War Movies. I never killed anyone. One also may cast blame on Roy Rogers, Cisco The Kid, The Lone Ranger. Look at the violence that exists on TV today? Back when I was growing up they showed people getting killed but not so graphically. So maybe these same nutters should start burning TV's.

#30 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,674 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 18:37

^ Don't forget all the institutional racism & sexism in such old shows & movies, too!