Homeowner evicted due to past due homeowners association fees

Wells Fargo has always been bad about those kind of scams, I remember (not sure if it's still like this) if you got a loan from them, the interest rate would be high enough that if you only payed the minimum each month, the the amount you owed would actually increase

that's the way it is with every bank, in many loans in fact you only pay interest the first few years, and depending on other factors that can increase the loan. at the very leas the decrease is minimal. most banks won't allow you to pay so little it actually increases though. But then, over here we actually have laws that says banks and such have a responsibility and can't ass rap their customers, then THEY may n fact end up having to pay fines to the customer or at the very least cover any loss.

we call it civilized :p

HOAs a bunch of annoying liberal busybodies striving for fake equality and fake perfection, and you better not dare challenge them or you might lose you home for daring to be unique

That's something that should be controlled by the government or local councils, and is in any other part of the world pretty much. historical buildings gets special protection.

It's not real "historical" area, just faked to look it and now they are doing all they can to keep the facade from falling

Yay for a system that started out as institutionalized racism/bigotry. Biggest crock of **** I've ever heard. The guy knew what he was getting himself into but why he ever would is beyond me.

HOAs a bunch of annoying liberal busybodies striving for fake equality and fake perfection, and you better not dare challenge them or you might lose you home for daring to be unique

It's not real "historical" area, just faked to look it and now they are doing all they can to keep the facade from falling

seriously? give it a rest.

Yes that is one of the bad things about HOA. If they increase the price, and majority people agree to it, you have to pay it too. Also, HOA does not add value to your house. In fact, HOA has turned away many potential buyers.

HOAs suck. Mine just increased to $175/mo. The neighborhood has already gone downhill. No one is going to buy anything in here now.

HOAs sound like they are basically a private local council than a government controlled one.

Even if you accept that he agreed to these terms of having a HOA who can do what they want, anywhere else in the world if a debt has been incurred, and a judgement has been made for non-payment authorising the creditor to recover the debt, this would only entitle the sheriff/private repo to repossess items owned by the debtor. This means being allowed to go into the house to take assets to sell, or taking the car. If they took the house itself, it would be because they Debtor has no other assets they can sell.

The only thing I can think of is that the ex-homeowner made some declaration that he doesn't own any assets, the car is in the wife's name and they could only find the house in his own name, so the only thng they could repo was the home, and he ignored court orders that his home was about to be repoed. But ignoring a COURT ORDER, one that is about to repo your home if you don't pay, nobody can be that dumb. Does anyone know if he was actually served with a COURT ORDER?

My parent's HOA isn't that bad. No contract to sign, $10 per lot each year, that cost is to maintain the community boat launch, and do upkeep on the paved roads. Only restriction is no livestock.

Weirdest HOA I have heard of was where a friend of mine's HOA president "required" that your lawn had to be exactly 3 inches in height. There contract also stipulated that the HOA committee voted on the set rules and that rules stated therein could be modified whenever and however they wanted.

This guy that lost his house should have known the consequences of not paying those dues prior to signing the paper work for that home.

Homeowners' associations are the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of, and should probably be illegal.

• Like 1

i think a lot of you are too young to understand the terms and agreements that are signed as a contract before you buy a home in an area like this. You are not forced to buy a property there. If you do not like the terms, buy else where.

Homeowners' associations are the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of, and should probably be illegal.

see my comment above

i think a lot of you are too young to understand the terms and agreements that are signed as a contract before you buy a home in an area like this. You are not forced to buy a property there. If you do not like the terms, buy else where.

see my comment above

I understand the theory behind them, I just can't see how you can lose property you "own" for not paying a third party entity. I mean at that point you might as well just admit that you're really just renting your house and you don't really have any rights. If somebody finances the purchase of a home through a bank and makes an agreement to pay the agreed upon price for the home, then what say does an HoA have in the matter? Do the homeowners get any goods or services out of the HoA after they have bought or financed the house that would justify paying the HoA dues? I've never had to deal with one so maybe I'm a bit naive on the matter and only really hear bad news about them, but they don't really seem logical. Where I'm from, I can put up a huge American flag on a 40 foot pole, pee in my own flowerbed openly, and shoot pop cans off a fence-post in the back yard, and if anybody has a problem with it they can get bent. Seems like every time I hear about these HoAs all they're doing is removing all of the "freedom" from owning property for yourself.

I understand the theory behind them, I just can't see how you can lose property you "own" for not paying a third party entity. I mean at that point you might as well just admit that you're really just renting your house and you don't really have any rights. If somebody finances the purchase of a home through a bank and makes an agreement to pay the agreed upon price for the home, then what say does an HoA have in the matter? Do the homeowners get any goods or services out of the HoA after they have bought or financed the house that would justify paying the HoA dues? I've never had to deal with one so maybe I'm a bit naive on the matter and only really hear bad news about them, but they don't really seem logical. Where I'm from, I can put up a huge American flag on a 40 foot pole, pee in my own flowerbed openly, and shoot pop cans off a fence-post in the back yard, and if anybody has a problem with it they can get bent. Seems like every time I hear about these HoAs all they're doing is removing all of the "freedom" from owning property for yourself.

what you are "buying" into is the freedom from what your neighbors can do. Being in one means your neighbors can't erect an outhouse in their front or back yards, they can't have 50' flags with a Nazi symbol, or paint there house bright bold florescent pink. Its protection against stupid neighbors. Typically if you are complaining about HOA's, then you are that person you are protected from :)

You more than likely live in an area where land is owned in acres. Most of these types of neighbor hoods are where land is .25 acre lots and houses are within 50-75 feet of each other. This makes a huge difference when trying to sell a house and one can see almost a dozen houses around them. With an Association, you have the comfort of knowing what you see when buying is more than likely what you'll see out your window every day. Any changes need to either be voted on (by all of you) or a board (which consists of people who live in the neighborhood). Without one, someone could buy the house across the street, paint it neon green and hang nazi flags in every window. Then, you have no option but to take them to civil court. Else, good luck selling your house with potential buyers seeing the atrocity across the street.

My friend lives in a neighborhood without an HOA. He was sued for expanding his outdoor deck, even though he had all the permits. The neighbor felt that if the deck were expanded, when it came for him to sell his house, the potential buyers would see the expanded deck next door and then his current deck would lose its sell appeal. Crazy as it is - this is the type of world we live in as people try to protect the selling value of their property compared to others.

My friend lives in a neighborhood without an HOA. He was sued for expanding his outdoor deck, even though he had all the permits. The neighbor felt that if the deck were expanded, when it came for him to sell his house, the potential buyers would see the expanded deck next door and then his current deck would lose its sell appeal. Crazy as it is - this is the type of world we live in as people try to protect the selling value of their property compared to others.

Please tell me your friend won.

you gotta remember HOA's are not mandatory in the USA... some people outside this country seem to think we have to pay this crap... these are "preplaned communities" that people who are dumb enough buy into... almost all of them your HOA fee covers yard work, gym memberships, pool access, golf club access, etc etc... you are paying for services, not just paying to have a house...

you gotta remember HOA's are not mandatory in the USA... some people outside this country seem to think we have to pay this crap... these are "preplaned communities" that people who are dumb enough buy into... almost all of them your HOA fee covers yard work, gym memberships, pool access, golf club access, etc etc... you are paying for services, not just paying to have a house...

Yes. I hate HOAs but people need to know that NO ONE is forced into one against their will.

Yes. I hate HOAs but people need to know that NO ONE is forced into one against their will.

yeah, some places people might like HOA's like a retirement community... say you are paying $200 a month to have your grass mowed, fertalized, and hedges trimmed in a normal home... you voluntarily bought that service... maybe you move to a HOA area that includes all yard work for $200 a month... you are paying for the same services... only difference is you have to pay them in a HOA as part of your agreement... a normal house you can cancel at any time generally depending on your service provider's contract with you

First, lets clear up some fud in this thread: the HOA does not now magically own the house, they just got him booted out.

Actually they do-- they filed for a Deed .

"The court records said my house is no longer in our name but it is in the name of some Duval trust group," said Baxley.

Which is the trust that runs the HOA for that neighborhood.

Elefant said it is not over for Baxley. If the buyer fails to pay the mortgage, Elefant said the bank will file a mortgage foreclosure lawsuit against Baxley even though he no longer owns the house.

Lets see here,

keep front yard green, weed free, don't construct crazy ****

You forgot the main part-

Pay what we say when we say...or we take legal action(kind of sounds like something a strong arm would say)...even though some people like to keep up their own lawns as well as paint their homes the colors they wish.

Except it's getting harder and harder to find good houses that don't have HOAs.

Sure in theory they're a good idea, in practice they're often just worthless pieces of ****. They take care of your lawn, pest control, cleaning the outside of your house etc etc but often it's the cheapest (and worst) company they can find to do the job. I had one back where I used to live that made my roommate and me drive 3 times to the humane society (about an hour drive each way) before we found a pet that met their "restrictions." Note that I used quote marks because those restrictions (certain breeds only, weight limit, size limit) didn't apply to some people, but they applied to others.

Their lawn work? It was the ********* job known to mankind. Now I didn't particularly care about our lawn but a blind man with a scissor could have done a better job.

Pest control? Same story, I swear to god they just spray water. On top of paying the HOA for it, I had to pay Terminix a monthly fee to come out and take care of it.

HOAs are useless and are something that need to die off. Or at the very least the services they offer should be optional; You agree to a certain number of rules (like your house needs to be white or w/e) but if you don't want to use their pest control/landscapers etc you don't have to.