Inmates Sue Beer, Wine Companies for $1Billion

Five Idaho inmates are blaming alcohol for the crimes that put them in prison and are suing some of the nation?s top liquor and wine companies for $1 billion.

Keith Allen Brown, Steven Thompson, Woodrow Grant, Cory Baugh and Jeremy Brown all claim that alcohol led them to their crimes and they should have been warned of the beverages? addictive nature.

?If I was not an alcoholic, the shooting would never have happened,? Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. Brown, 34, is serving a 20- to 30-year sentence for a 2001 shooting that seriously injured a man.

The plaintiffs? crimes range from manslaughter to grand theft. They are currently serving time at Idaho?s Kuna facility.

Their lawsuit, filed in Boise?s U.S. District Court last month, targets eight defendants, including Anheuser-Busch, Coors, Miller Brewing and the owner of Jim Beam whiskey, American Brands. The inmates claim the companies are responsible for their crimes and should have put warning labels on their products.

?I have spent a great deal of that time in prison because of situations that have arose because of people being drunk, or because of situations in which alcohol played a major role,? Jeremy Brown said in his affidavit. ?At no time in my life, prior to me becoming an alcoholic, was I ever informed that alcohol was habit forming and addictive.? :rolleyes:

more

My father always taught me: "Son, don't blame the substance, no matter what it is. Blame the user, as he is responsible for his actions to take the substance, and the actions taken on the substance."

These guys made bad decisions and should live with that.

• Like 2

My father always taught me: "Son, don't blame the substance, no matter what it is. Blame the user, as he is responsible for his actions to take the substance, and the actions taken on the substance."

These guys made bad decisions and should live with that.

All good parents teach this ^

• Like 1

"I didn't know the bottle was loaded." :laugh:

I wonder who the idiot lawyer was that talked them into this.

....99% percent of the time there is no lawyer involved..these criminals have some of the best law library's and plenty of time.

how about we just say, America needs to come up with some reasonable and truthful drug information. We need to recategorize what substances are dangerious, addictive, and so on.

While I do not agree with the views of the criminals and also blame the user, America has it totally ****ed up to make alcohol, pills, and cigs legal, while keeping marijuana illegal. There needs to be reform.

There are plenty of us who are able to moderate our alcohol intake enough so that we don't get into trouble. It's not the manufacturers fault that these people are idiots.

• Like 2

The thing that sickens me about America is that when these ridiculous cases are kicked out of court, the stupid inmates won't have to cough up the beer/wine companies' legal fees.

I find it laughable that these cons actually think they have a case. But seeing how our injustice system is structured it would not entirely shock me if they succeeded. Just imagine the fall out from this if they did win. LOL

I drink too much, and have been in a lot of trouble over the years for stupid things I did drunk,

Not once did I blame the alcohol companies for it, I got drunk, I did the crime, I pay the time.

I do however in some sense blame the shops that see someone come in day after day obviously a complete mess / alcoholic and continue to serve them

Yes I know its the person who buys its own choice, but if shops took a bit more responsibility (ie. the local shops, not huge stores who can't keep track) and actually said no to really bad cases, then not having an easy ride to get alcohol would have a positive effect on the alcoholic