Look at how great a Google smartwatch could be

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 grabageek

grabageek

Neowinian

• 124 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:48

Fit one with a masturbation counter.......

It could embarrass you when your out with your mates with a Stephen Hawkins voice over

"you..........have........... masturbated..............three...........times..............today"

Followed by the AOL "You Have Email"

#17 ramzorz

ramzorz

Neowinian

• 147 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:34

Thats never happened, Never will happen, there is no logical progression for ads to ever become that intrusive unless the user is paid to watch ads.

Although I wouldn't say that watching an ad before checking time is something that I can see happening, but having ads on the clock itself does seem like it could happen... it is Google after all.

#18 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• 1,226 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:43

Smart watches have been around since 80's, in one way shape or form.

The closest one alluded to here is Microsoft's Smart Personal Object Technology. Other than not having voice / touch / two-way and color, it did everything else suggested.
It received news blurbs, meeting and birthday notifications, travel itineraries, weather, traffic, instant messages and email notifications and most anything else Outlook and MSN could bundle.

Even TomTom and other GPS / Nav sets used SPOT tech for their purposes.... MSN Direct would've been the name back then.

Someone was ahead of the times, and someone gets to pick up the pieces.

Oh, and there might be some patents involved. Microsoft experimented quite a bit with "push" tech with SPOT.
There was even some work done with custom, "individual" channels that were programmed by the user and pushed to their SPOT devices.

#19 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:00

How about a hybrid smart watch, smart phone, that might be awesome!

#20 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• 1,783 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:46

This. I don't particularly care for digital watches either.

+ Infinity

#21 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:52

Although I wouldn't say that watching an ad before checking time is something that I can see happening, but having ads on the clock itself does seem like it could happen... it is Google after all.

No, you are just being a troll.

#22 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,952 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:53

Posted Image

#23 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,871 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:12

those watches are what seperate the boys from the men :D
for those going "watches are old school, digital and phones all the way......." let me know how you get on once you're married with kids and expected to dress in something that isnt jeans and unbuttoned shirts

#24 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:25

those watches are what seperate the boys from the men :D
for those going "watches are old school, digital and phones all the way......." let me know how you get on once you're married with kids and expected to dress in something that isnt jeans and unbuttoned shirts

I don't consider phones or watches as clothes, so I don't see what one has to do with the other, unless you see analog watches as some sort of status symbol or jewellery, then wear as many as you like. I, for one, prefer to carry the minimum amount of devices no matter if I'm wearing jeans/shirt or a suit.

#25 thommcg

thommcg

Neowinian

• 1,235 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:09

all fine and dandy until they force you to start watching ads before displaying the time/weather/search functions.

You mean like they do currently? Ohhh.... right... they don't.

#26 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:09

Can't i just get an arm mounted case for a Nexus 7 instead?

#27 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

• 1,958 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:23

Watches are good at telling the time and date. Anything else is just too inconvenient and difficult to do in such a small area. Just look at the progressive growth in size of mobile phones since they have evolved into smartphones. Squeeze the functionality of a 7" screen into something an inch square? Not going to happen.

It's always been a nice thought, having everything on your wrist, but in real practical terms, it's going to remain in your pocket for the foreseeable future, and your wrist will remain the domain of your timepiece.

#28 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,382 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:29

One of my colleagues at work has had one of the Sony Smart watches for a few years now, and it syncs with his android phone and lets him know if he has an email or a message, which is pretty cool.

But it's very small, and it doesn't really help you or make anything better.

I tend to have my phone in my poket at all times, if I were to get an email or message It's take less effort to look at my phone than it would be to look at my watch, and then my phone. :p

#29 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,007 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:39

Sony already has the Sony smartwatch which was released in April

Buggy as hell

#30 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,853 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 13:43

i have been looking into either the Pebble or the MotoActv for rather some time now however, if this could happen it would be a better watch.

Call me old school but i will never wear a watch like this.

Here's some real watches ...

http://www.mydesigne...ch-brands/seiko

I have well over 100 "real" watches in many different varieties however, i can honestly say I only own 2 that require batteries and neither of them have a digital face.