64GB SSD

Hi, My mothers laptop hdd has died and needs a replacement, I am after a 64GB ssd for her, I have found the SanDisk Pulse for ?40 on amazon. Does anyone know the reliability of this drive as I cant seem to find much on it although it has good reviews on sites like amazon and reevoo..

Before people go all "omg you need a samsung/intel mang" or "zomg thats no where near enough space dude", stop, my mother is not some gamer looking for uber fast load times or loads of space. 64GB is plenty and is actually more than the HDD that it will replace.

This won't answer your question, but i installed a 128GB SSD yesterday and all i put on it was Windows 7 64bit and Office 2010 and it used 70GB, you maybe wise to go bigger on size.

I upgraded from a 60GB HDD which strangely had 2GB left after installing those.

This won't answer your question, but i installed a 128GB SSD yesterday and all i put on it was Windows 7 64bit and Office 2010 and it used 70GB, you maybe wise to go bigger on size.

That is really strange. I have used 73.4GB on my 250GB SSD with windows 8, office, and around 40GB worth of games, and a 13GB 1080p movie. Maybe you should switch to windows 8 :p

Just Windows 7 and Office use 70gb? That seems a lot!

windows 7 once the hibernation files removed uses way under 20Gb.

I have win7 ultimate, swapfile and any apps that run with windows installed and im just over 21Gb in use of my 60Gbr. Office 2010 shouldn't be used upwards of 40Gb mate ;) (I disable system restore)

biggest footprint for any office 2010 SKU (pro plus I think) is 3.5Gb.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/products/microsoft-office-2010-system-requirements-HA101810407.aspx

Something is wrong there, on my SSD I have Windows 7 64bit, Office 2010, Visual Studio 2012 + Documentation, Adobe CS5 Suite, UDK, Unity, 3ds Max, Maya, VMWare, 10+GB Data and various other smaller applications and it uses less than 75GB in total.

Also, the OP says 64GB is bigger than the drive it's replacing so this is a non-issue. (sorry, don't have an opinion on the SanDisk Pulse though, haven't heard of the drive until now).

They're a tiny bit more expensive, but I'd go with one of the M4's from Crucial: http://www.amazon.co...57507042&sr=1-1

Very reliable, very fast and you get great service from Crucial. Just don't forget to update the firmware before installing it.

I've googled a bit on that SanDisk model number, not much to be found about it but they benchmark rather low compared to other drives. The M4 will surely do much better.

That is really strange. I have used 73.4GB on my 250GB SSD with windows 8, office, and around 40GB worth of games, and a 13GB 1080p movie. Maybe you should switch to windows 8 :p

Sorry for taking it off topic but my pagefile is set to 16GB so i guess i should change that.

My Windows + Program Files folders (both x86 and regular) is about 28GB. Add some non-Program Files-software to that and you'll be around 30GB. And that is including some huge Adobe software, Office, 1GB of firmware softare from Sony, Rational Rose, and a whole heap of development software. 64GB is fine.

sorry for my ignorance on this technology.. How much faster are they? do they effectively remove the once bottleneck of old?

They're a tiny bit more expensive, but I'd go with one of the M4's from Crucial: http://www.amazon.co...57507042&sr=1-1

Very reliable, very fast and you get great service from Crucial. Just don't forget to update the firmware before installing it.

I've googled a bit on that SanDisk model number, not much to be found about it but they benchmark rather low compared to other drives. The M4 will surely do much better.

I was considering that but its not me who is paying for it. I will have a word with her tomorrow regardless, although speed isnt too important.

I was considering that but its not me who is paying for it. I will have a word with her tomorrow regardless, although speed isnt too important.

Just the reliability will pay off in the end. That SanDisk is quite new on the market and their SSD's aren't that good overall. That particular one might be okay but without reviews and at such a low price right after introduction I'd wait for the first reviews.

Here is the 60gb M4

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/crucial-cru10010-internal-2-5-sata-ssd-64-gb-16424052-pdt.html

and also OCZ drive

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/ocz-10274-vertex-plus-r2-internal-2-5-sata-ii-ssd-60-gb-17291998-pdt.html

Both get better reliability results than the Sandisk. If you look around you may get these for better prices than pcworld.

Before people go all "omg you need a samsung/intel mang" or "zomg thats no where near enough space dude", stop, my mother is not some gamer looking for uber fast load times or loads of space. 64GB is plenty and is actually more than the HDD that it will replace.

Well, in general the Crucial/Samsung/Intel drives are well regarded for reliability, the rest are all about the same.

Usually, by brand, the ones with the lame names are last gen technology, so these probably use older controllers / designs that have been renamed. Does it matter? In this case, probably not. Just make sure she actually has a SATA connection in there, a laptop with a < 64GB harddrive to begin with must be quite old.

Well, in general the Crucial/Samsung/Intel drives are well regarded for reliability, the rest are all about the same.

Usually, by brand, the ones with the lame names are last gen technology, so these probably use older controllers / designs that have been renamed. Does it matter? In this case, probably not. Just make sure she actually has a SATA connection in there, a laptop with a < 64GB harddrive to begin with must be quite old.

Of course it has a SATA connection..