crash pc computer render rendering

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:36

Hello everyone,

Don't really want to flood the forum or anything, but I seem to have a problem with my PC. Just as the title says, my computer crashes while rendering.

I've done some 3D renders of low- to medium-poly models without really complicated geometry in the past and everything has been working properly. However I've recently finished modelling a high-poly object which I really want to render. But the PC starts working on it, then crashes into a blue screen with a crash dump.

I've tried several different rendering programs and it happens with all of them. Sometimes it even crashes in pre-render phase, while I am setting the lighting options and such.

I'm guessing the problem lies in the hardware, maybe in RAM or CPU. But I don't have enough knowledge to confirm/deny that, which is why I came here. I don't think the problem could be heat-related since the chrashes happen 1-5mins from the start of rendering.

The PC specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5GHz (poorly ventilated, not overclocked)
Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM
PSU: Aero Cool E80-700 700W
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7850 (overclocked, dual fans)
RAM: 4GB (can my motherboard support more?)

I think that pretty much covers my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:39

Hello everyone,

Don't really want to flood the forum or anything, but I seem to have a problem with my PC. Just as the title says, my computer crashes while rendering.

I've done some 3D renders of low- to medium-poly models without really complicated geometry in the past and everything has been working properly. However I've recently finished modelling a high-poly object which I really want to render. But the PC starts working on it, then crashes into a blue screen with a crash dump.

I've tried several different rendering programs and it happens with all of them. Sometimes it even crashes in pre-render phase, while I am setting the lighting options and such.

I'm guessing the problem lies in the hardware, maybe in RAM or CPU. But I don't have enough knowledge to confirm/deny that, which is why I came here. I don't think the problem could be heat-related since the chrashes happen 1-5mins from the start of rendering.

The PC specs are as follows:
Motherboard: ASUS M2N68-AM
PSU: Aero Cool E80-700 700W
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7850 (overclocked, dual fans)
RAM: 4GB (can my motherboard support more?)

I think that pretty much covers my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to remove your GPU OC before you can continue troubleshooting, anything OC'd can cause bluescreens

Also install something like coretemp to monitor your temps while you render

#3 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:42

I don't really know how to remove over-clocking. I bought my GPU overclocked and it came with a bunch of software for monitoring and regulating purposes. I don't know the stock clocks on this card.

#4 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:45

If it came that way...remove the GPU and attempt to render the 3D again....if it dosen't blue screen RMA the GPU it could be a case of over heating.

#5 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:47

NEXT!

#6 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:49

NEXT!

People need to understand, if you don't get good air flow around the CPU your going to kill the machine.....try wrapping your head in 3 or 4 scalfs then go to the gym...you're gonna collapse.

#7 YanksOnTop

YanksOnTop

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:50

I would look at the CPU and GPU temps. Also try running memtest to make sure the ram isnt taking a dump on you. Try running a benchmark also like 3d mark just to rule out the OC on the GPU as well.

Try and post a screen shot of the BSOD if you can. That will also help.

#8 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:51

remove the GPU and attempt to render the 3D again

What do you mean? Just to remove the GPU entirely from the case and try to run the render that way? Will it even work?

NEXT!

Even though it's poorly ventilated as I mentioned, it has never suffered from excess heat and the temperature readings have always been low enough. The CPU has a little fan on it, not sure about the effectiveness of it.

#9 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:53

What do you mean? Just to remove the GPU entirely from the case and try to run the render that way? Will it even work?

Even though it's poorly ventilated as I mentioned, it has never suffered from excess heat and the temperature readings have always been low enough. The CPU has a little fan on it, not sure about the effectiveness of it.

Problem is now you are stressing the CPU more than likely almost to it's limit....you are rendering 3D we are not talking about burning a few dvd's 3D rendering is crazy on the CPU

#10 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 January 2013 - 22:54

How do you know your GPU is overclocked if you don't know how to remove the OC ?

You should also stick a fan at the front of your case sucking in, and a fan at the back blowing out, that way you always have a 1 directional airflow moving hot air out and cool air in

#11 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:01

The GPU is over-clocked by ASUS and I can manually tweak the clock speeds with the software provided, so I assume it's a legit OC (it even says it on the packaging). I can max out the GPU Clock at 1050MHz, GPU Voltage at 1165mV and Memory Clock at 5800MHz.

Ever since the last Windows reinstall in autumn I haven't been monitoring the temperatures. Can you recommend the best tool for the job?

I would look at the CPU and GPU temps. Also try running memtest to make sure the ram isnt taking a dump on you. Try running a benchmark also like 3d mark just to rule out the OC on the GPU as well. Try and post a screen shot of the BSOD if you can. That will also help.

Please tell me how to do the memtest and benchmark, I've never done it before. Also, what's a BSOD?

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:04

Firstly the GPU is unlikely to be the culprit if he's rendering, he hasn't specifically mentioned what render suite(s) he's using, but they all crash, and most render suites won't use the GPU for rendering, unless specifically set to it and most can't even then.

HE probably hit on the problem in his first post. bad memory. Rendering especially high poly rendering uses a LOT of memory, in fact it's probably the first time he's ever been close to using all of his computers memory.

DO you have 1 4GB stick or 2 2GB sticks ? if it's 2 sticks, remove one at a time and check.

also what resolution are you rendering the output at ?

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:06

The GPU is over-clocked by ASUS and I can manually tweak the clock speeds with the software provided, so I assume it's a legit OC (it even says it on the packaging). I can max out the GPU Clock at 1050MHz, GPU Voltage at 1165mV and Memory Clock at 5800MHz.

If you have not moved the sliders for the OC, then it is a factory OCd card from ASUS, if you have moved the sliders, then it is a Custom OC by you

Put the sliders to where ever they were when you got the card, or disable the overdrive check box and hit apply

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

For monitoring

GPUz - GPU temps
CPU-z or coretemp - CPU temps

#14 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:12

Firstly the GPU is unlikely to be the culprit if he's rendering, he hasn't specifically mentioned what render suite(s) he's using, but they all crash, and most render suites won't use the GPU for rendering, unless specifically set to it and most can't even then.

HE probably hit on the problem in his first post. bad memory. Rendering especially high poly rendering uses a LOT of memory, in fact it's probably the first time he's ever been close to using all of his computers memory.

DO you have 1 4GB stick or 2 2GB sticks ? if it's 2 sticks, remove one at a time and check.

also what resolution are you rendering the output at ?

My main renderer with which I work with is Keyshot 2, but Vray, Indigo and others failed too. I have 2 sticks of 2GB of RAM. But how does removing one stick at a time help me? Do you think one of them could be corrupt or something?

If you have not moved the sliders for the OC, then it is a factory OCd card from ASUS, if you have moved the sliders, then it is a Custom OC by you

Put the sliders to where ever they were when you got the card, or disable the overdrive check box and hit apply

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death

For monitoring

GPUz - GPU temps
CPU-z or coretemp - CPU temps

I have tried rendering with various clock settings and it's still the same, although maybe I didn't try rendering with stock clock speeds.

#15 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:14

I have tried rendering with various clock settings and it's still the same, although maybe I didn't try rendering with stock clock speeds.

Well my last 6850 would crash either the display driver or the machine if I even OCd 1MHz

Again, you can not troubleshoot an OCd machine, I`m not saying it is 100% the GPU, but you need to have everything @ stock