Question

Posted

Hello everyone,

Don't really want to flood the forum or anything, but I seem to have a problem with my PC. Just as the title says, my computer crashes while rendering.

I've done some 3D renders of low- to medium-poly models without really complicated geometry in the past and everything has been working properly. However I've recently finished modelling a high-poly object which I really want to render. But the PC starts working on it, then crashes into a blue screen with a crash dump.

I've tried several different rendering programs and it happens with all of them. Sometimes it even crashes in pre-render phase, while I am setting the lighting options and such.

I'm guessing the problem lies in the hardware, maybe in RAM or CPU. But I don't have enough knowledge to confirm/deny that, which is why I came here. I don't think the problem could be heat-related since the chrashes happen 1-5mins from the start of rendering.

The PC specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core 2.5GHz (poorly ventilated, not overclocked)
Motherboard: ASUS [color=#000000][font=arial, sans, sans-serif][size=3]M2N68-AM[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans, sans-serif][size=3]PSU: Aero Cool E80-700 700W[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans, sans-serif][size=3]GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7850 (overclocked, dual fans)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans, sans-serif][size=3]RAM: 4GB (can my motherboard support more?)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans, sans-serif][size=3]OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit[/size][/font][/color]

I think that pretty much covers my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

38 answers to this question

Posted

^do you have a usb drive you could use to put it on and boot from?

Posted

Your ram is most likely starting to die. If you have no CD, test it from inside windows. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

However, this tool is not very accurate. In order to fully test your ram, use a bootable CD. If you run this tool and you get errors, skip getting CDs and use that money to replace your ram. Hope this helps

Brando also has a good point. Try to boot it off a usb drive.

Posted

[quote name='Brando212' timestamp='1357578848' post='595438434']
^do you have a usb drive you could use to put it on and boot from?
[/quote]

I have a usb drive. I didn't know that that works. So I just put the .iso file on a usb drive and try to boot from it? Do I do it with both of my RAM sticks in, or do I test one by one?

Posted

[quote name='Redix' timestamp='1357579650' post='595438466']
I have a usb drive. I didn't know that that works. So I just put the .iso file on a usb drive and try to boot from it? Do I do it with both of my RAM sticks in, or do I test one by one?
[/quote]you'll need to use a tool like this so the usb drive gets set as bootable [url="http://www.isotousb.com/"]http://www.isotousb.com/[/url] or http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ (memtest is near the bottom of the list in this program)

and you 'can' do the test with both in, either way, just be sure to reseat both of them before you boot to do the test (aka take the RAM sticks out and place them back in)

Posted

Or you coul do what I suggested earlier. simply try the rendering with one memory stick at a time, it'll BSOD on one of them.

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1357580447' post='595438502']
Or you coul do what I suggested earlier. simply try the rendering with one memory stick at a time, it'll BSOD on one of them.
[/quote]wouldn't just doing memtest be faster than that though?

Posted

[quote name='YanksOnTop' timestamp='1357527984' post='595437470']
[b]Stop 0

Posted

[quote name='Brando212' timestamp='1357580735' post='595438508']
wouldn't just doing memtest be faster than that though?
[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not, if it finds it on the first pass yes, which it should since it seems it's a major fault. but he seems to have issues running memtest-. also windows 7 at least have a memtest fucntion built into the boot menu.

Posted

[quote name='Tyler R.' timestamp='1357579455' post='595438460']
Your ram is most likely starting to die. If you have no CD, test it from inside windows. [url="http://hcidesign.com/memtest/"]http://hcidesign.com/memtest/[/url]
[/quote]

I tried it and after an hour it found nothing.

I'll try rendering with one memory stick. I think this could be faster than setting up that usb drive for booting.

Posted

[quote name='Redix' timestamp='1357586429' post='595438718']
I tried it and after an hour it found nothing.

I'll try rendering with one memory stick. I think this could be faster than setting up that usb drive for booting.
[/quote]

Alright. Let me know what the results are. :)

Posted

So let me tell you how my adventure with the RAM went. After taking both cards out of their slots, it took me maybe 10mins to figure out how to properly put one back. The whole thing with those pins confused me, but I got it eventually.

FYI I have an older 2gb RAM card and a newer one. I'm gonna call them Old One and New One for clarity's sake :)

At first I put in the Old One. Tried rendering on normal quality - success. Tried rendering on good quality - the program itself "is not responding" and I had to close it. No BSOD. Then I put in the New One. Tried rendering on good quality (because normal is quite fast and maybe not as intensive) - the speed of the rendering was significantly slower, so after it reached 10% I stopped rendering because I got anxious. No BSOD. Then I put both cards in and tried rendering again on good quality. After the initial pixelated render-draft or whatever you call that, the whole computer froze (/freezed?) and I had to press the reset button. Still no BSOD.

I'm not quite sure what these results mean. Maybe my RAM is fine? Maybe I need to run the memtest?

Posted

^that could mean a few things

I'd definitely get memtest on your usb and run that though to get some clear results on your ram sticks

Posted

I tried booting memtest from usb today. Got this screen after a few button presses and don't know what to do. What am I doing wrong?