PC crashes while rendering in 3D

crash pc computer render rendering

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:16

Well my last 6850 would crash either the display driver or the machine if I even OCd 1MHz

Again, you can not troubleshoot an OCd machine, I`m not saying it is 100% the GPU, but you need to have everything @ stock

Would setting the clock speeds to stock card speeds (from google) do the job?

EDIT: Well, as it turns out, I cannot go below Memory Clock speed 3880 MHz and google says the stock speed is 1200MHz, so...yeah

Edited by Redix, 06 January 2013 - 23:22.

#17 YanksOnTop

YanksOnTop

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:22

Go download memtest86 and burn a cd from it. Pop the CD in and reboot the computer and boot to the CD. Run the test with 1 stick at a time them pop them all back in if they pass and run a test with them all in. That will rule out the Ram for sure.

A screenshot of the blue screen would be a big help also. But rule out he ram first. Trust me.

#18 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:26

Alright, I understand what I have to do, but I'm not doing all of that testing until tomorrow because it's really late now :) 1:30 is a bit too late for that kind of work, don't you think?

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:28

Would setting the clock speeds to stock card speeds (from google) do the job?

EDIT: Well, as it turns out, I cannot go below Memory Clock speed 3880 MHz and google says the stock speed is 1200MHz, so...yeah

Just uncheck the Overdrive option in CCC and hit apply, the card will drop to its factory clock speeds

Posted Image

#20 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2013 - 23:33

Just uncheck the Overdrive option in CCC and hit apply, the card will drop to its factory clock speeds

Posted Image

Oh, that thing. Right. Just a moment. A test result without OC and possibly a photo of BSOD (not sure how you screen it) coming in a few minutes.

#21 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2013 - 00:03

So, I was surprised when it reached 15% of the rendering process...but then it crashed again, so removing the OC doesn't seem to help. Also, the BSOD.

Attached Images

• IMAG0067.jpg

#22 YanksOnTop

YanksOnTop

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:06

So, I was surprised when it reached 15% of the rendering process...but then it crashed again, so removing the OC doesn't seem to help. Also, the BSOD.

Stop 0×00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA – This Windows stop error indicates that information that the operating system was looking for was not found in memory (ram). This occurs when the system looks for information in the ram that doesnt exist. This is usually caused by defective RAM (once again, including Ram on your motherboard, L2 cache and video card ram).

Get your ram testing on ;)

#23 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2013 - 15:49

Stop 0×00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA – This Windows stop error indicates that information that the operating system was looking for was not found in memory (ram). This occurs when the system looks for information in the ram that doesnt exist. This is usually caused by defective RAM (once again, including Ram on your motherboard, L2 cache and video card ram).

Get your ram testing on ;)

I'd have thoroughly tested RAM today, but it turns out I have no empty CDs left which I can use and the nearby stores have none. I hate putting off such tasks but I just have no options right now. So tomorrow I'll go to a bigger store further away, find & buy those CDs and start working.

Hopefully the problem is one of my regular RAM units and not motherboard RAM or anything like that. That would be an excuse to buy more RAM.

Though what I did today was I opened the case to provide better ventilation for any components that could be overheating. I started rendering once again, and checked if there was any excessive heat coming from somewhere. No, there wasn't. And the air coming from the fan on the CPU is just mildly warm under full rendering. So maybe we can abandon the overheating theory.

#24 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:03

Hopefully the problem is one of my regular RAM units and not motherboard RAM or anything like that. That would be an excuse to buy more RAM. Though what I did today was I opened the case to provide better ventilation for any components that could be overheating. I started rendering once again, and checked if there was any excessive heat coming from somewhere. No, there wasn't. And the air coming from the fan on the CPU is just mildly warm under full rendering. So maybe we can abandon the overheating theory.

Using your PC with the side panel off will only disrupt the normal airflow of the PC and make it not as cool as it could be; it's a very poor way of measuring temperature.

And I don't know what you mean by regular RAM and motherboard RAM...there's only one type of RAM inside your PC, and those are the two 2GB sticks in their slots...

#25 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 January 2013 - 16:20

I'd have thoroughly tested RAM today, but it turns out I have no empty CDs left which I can use

Errr waa?

#26 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:10

Errr waa?

Oh yea, that sentence seems overly complicated :) What I meant is, I wanted to test the RAM, but couldn't do it. I would have done it if I had CDs.

I'm not able to write in English anymore, it seems :)

Using your PC with the side panel off will only disrupt the normal airflow of the PC and make it not as cool as it could be; it's a very poor way of measuring temperature.

And I don't know what you mean by regular RAM and motherboard RAM...there's only one type of RAM inside your PC, and those are the two 2GB sticks in their slots...

By motherboard RAM I meant motehrboard cache and all the other things that YanksOnTop (above) mentioned. I guess cache and RAM are not synonims. And I don't think there is a lot of airflow to be disrupted. My case is not as big as it maybe should be, so there's not much room for the air to flow straight.

The fans on the GPU are faced downwards (I don't think it's good for airflow), the CPU fan is blowing to the side and the PSU fan is blowing out. I also have a spot on the back of the case where I can put another fan, but I don't have any spare fans.

On the front of the case, down bottom is a small hole for the cool air to go through, but then the air has to navigate between my hard drives and the far end of the GPU to reach anything useful, so I don't think that's good airflow. But it has worked for many years now.

#27 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:14

^do you have a usb drive you could use to put it on and boot from?

#28 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:24

Your ram is most likely starting to die. If you have no CD, test it from inside windows. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

However, this tool is not very accurate. In order to fully test your ram, use a bootable CD. If you run this tool and you get errors, skip getting CDs and use that money to replace your ram. Hope this helps

Brando also has a good point. Try to boot it off a usb drive.

#29 OP Redix

Redix

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:27

^do you have a usb drive you could use to put it on and boot from?

I have a usb drive. I didn't know that that works. So I just put the .iso file on a usb drive and try to boot from it? Do I do it with both of my RAM sticks in, or do I test one by one?

#30 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 07 January 2013 - 17:32

I have a usb drive. I didn't know that that works. So I just put the .iso file on a usb drive and try to boot from it? Do I do it with both of my RAM sticks in, or do I test one by one?

you'll need to use a tool like this so the usb drive gets set as bootable http://www.isotousb.com/ or http://www.pendrivel...ot-usb-creator/ (memtest is near the bottom of the list in this program)

and you 'can' do the test with both in, either way, just be sure to reseat both of them before you boot to do the test (aka take the RAM sticks out and place them back in)