PC crashes while rendering in 3D

SK[' timestamp=1357575605' post='595438280]

Errr waa?

Oh yea, that sentence seems overly complicated :) What I meant is, I wanted to test the RAM, but couldn't do it. I would have done it if I had CDs.

I'm not able to write in English anymore, it seems :)

Using your PC with the side panel off will only disrupt the normal airflow of the PC and make it not as cool as it could be; it's a very poor way of measuring temperature.

And I don't know what you mean by regular RAM and motherboard RAM...there's only one type of RAM inside your PC, and those are the two 2GB sticks in their slots...

By motherboard RAM I meant motehrboard cache and all the other things that YanksOnTop (above) mentioned. I guess cache and RAM are not synonims. And I don't think there is a lot of airflow to be disrupted. My case is not as big as it maybe should be, so there's not much room for the air to flow straight.

The fans on the GPU are faced downwards (I don't think it's good for airflow), the CPU fan is blowing to the side and the PSU fan is blowing out. I also have a spot on the back of the case where I can put another fan, but I don't have any spare fans.

On the front of the case, down bottom is a small hole for the cool air to go through, but then the air has to navigate between my hard drives and the far end of the GPU to reach anything useful, so I don't think that's good airflow. But it has worked for many years now.

Your ram is most likely starting to die. If you have no CD, test it from inside windows. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

However, this tool is not very accurate. In order to fully test your ram, use a bootable CD. If you run this tool and you get errors, skip getting CDs and use that money to replace your ram. Hope this helps

Brando also has a good point. Try to boot it off a usb drive.

^do you have a usb drive you could use to put it on and boot from?

I have a usb drive. I didn't know that that works. So I just put the .iso file on a usb drive and try to boot from it? Do I do it with both of my RAM sticks in, or do I test one by one?

I have a usb drive. I didn't know that that works. So I just put the .iso file on a usb drive and try to boot from it? Do I do it with both of my RAM sticks in, or do I test one by one?

you'll need to use a tool like this so the usb drive gets set as bootable http://www.isotousb.com/ or http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ (memtest is near the bottom of the list in this program)

and you 'can' do the test with both in, either way, just be sure to reseat both of them before you boot to do the test (aka take the RAM sticks out and place them back in)

Or you coul do what I suggested earlier. simply try the rendering with one memory stick at a time, it'll BSOD on one of them.

wouldn't just doing memtest be faster than that though?

Stop 0?00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ? This Windows stop error indicates that information that the operating system was looking for was not found in memory (ram). This occurs when the system looks for information in the ram that doesnt exist. This is usually caused by defective RAM (once again, including Ram on your motherboard, L2 cache and video card ram).

Get your ram testing on ;)

It also can be a kernel level driver that causes it. Antivirus, display adapter drivers, chipset etc. Updated the drivers and check again.

wouldn't just doing memtest be faster than that though?

Maybe, maybe not, if it finds it on the first pass yes, which it should since it seems it's a major fault. but he seems to have issues running memtest-. also windows 7 at least have a memtest fucntion built into the boot menu.

I tried it and after an hour it found nothing.

I'll try rendering with one memory stick. I think this could be faster than setting up that usb drive for booting.

Alright. Let me know what the results are. :)

So let me tell you how my adventure with the RAM went. After taking both cards out of their slots, it took me maybe 10mins to figure out how to properly put one back. The whole thing with those pins confused me, but I got it eventually.

FYI I have an older 2gb RAM card and a newer one. I'm gonna call them Old One and New One for clarity's sake :)

At first I put in the Old One. Tried rendering on normal quality - success. Tried rendering on good quality - the program itself "is not responding" and I had to close it. No BSOD. Then I put in the New One. Tried rendering on good quality (because normal is quite fast and maybe not as intensive) - the speed of the rendering was significantly slower, so after it reached 10% I stopped rendering because I got anxious. No BSOD. Then I put both cards in and tried rendering again on good quality. After the initial pixelated render-draft or whatever you call that, the whole computer froze (/freezed?) and I had to press the reset button. Still no BSOD.

I'm not quite sure what these results mean. Maybe my RAM is fine? Maybe I need to run the memtest?

^that could mean a few things

I'd definitely get memtest on your usb and run that though to get some clear results on your ram sticks