Video Playback

I am having issues playing some videos on Ubuntu 12.04.

The ones that have problem (small percentage) are laggy, sorta skips, sorta slows down.

I am using VLC as my main player, but tried the video on SMplayer as well and it's the same thing.

Anyway to know if it's the video file itself, or just the players/codecs are having problems?

I've had no problems with vlc on Ubuntu with either of my laptops. Are the files being played locally or over the network? What's your CPU usage look like when the video is lagging?

I assume you're using the proprietary video drivers for your video card. If not, install them.

I am assuming you're using an Nvidia video card to watch movies with. Try installing the 'libvdpau1' package to enable hardware decoding.

Check to if Frame Skipping is enabled in your movie player. If it is, turn it off and try again.

If none of the above applies or doesn't work, then I'm sorry. I haven't used Linux in a while!

Yea none of that applies, I am using proprietary drivers, but for AMD.

I will keep checking this thread but for now I switched the file for another. Doesn't explain if it was the file or not, but gets over the problem.

There was a bug in 12.04's GStreamer libs that affected playing mp4 files (not sure if that would also affect VLC or SMPlayer, but it did break playback of mp4 files on Totem, and Youtube videos on Minitube and Musictube).

The workaround (just in case that happened to be your problem) was renaming a library so it doesn't get used:

On Ubuntu 32bit:

sudo mv /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so.bak

On Ubuntu 64bit:

sudo mv /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so.bak

Yea none of that applies, I am using proprietary drivers, but for AMD.

I will keep checking this thread but for now I switched the file for another. Doesn't explain if it was the file or not, but gets over the problem.

Using AMD Property Drivers, No prp[lem with any video format, even with my Canon Digital cam