Photo

Windows Phone 7.8-Time for Microsoft to kill it off.

windows phone

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:21

I for one surely want 7.8 on my Lumia 800. Will breathe few more months of life in it till the next upgrade. They did however played cruelty card on the WP7.x users and consumers.

I have WP7.8 on my Lumia 800. The start screen is a huge improvement. I don't have 7.8 on my HTC HD7 yet, but I can't live without the small tiles now. They're great.

#17 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:10

It has it's place in the low end market.

#18 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:11

Whether MS wants to roll out 7.8 or not, it still ultimately has to go through the carriers. Since carriers like for people to get new phones with service contracts attached, keeping WP7 alive is not in their best interest. So they may have collectively decided to either put insufficient resources toward 7.8 or to kill it altogether.

I believe 7.8 is destined to be OTA when it is ultimately released. Whenever that will be.

It has it's place in the low end market.

I never did think about this. I thought for sure WP8 would be able to run on low end devices, and I thought there were a few Nokia?

#19 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13

I don't think 7.8 is all that great of an update. A lot of people were hoping that 7.8 would bring all the features and functionality that are severely lacking in Windows Phone 7, but the update is little more than an updated start screen UI and bluetooth file transfer support. I was really excited for 7.8 until it started being released and I realized it didn't address 95% of the issues I had with my Lumia 900. Microsoft once said that Windows Phone 7 was what Windows Mobile should have been, and then they said that Windows Phone 8 is what Windows Phone 7 should have been. It's just been a terrible journey and a constant letdown for many WP7.x users and I'll never buy another Windows Phone...I won't even consider it. I find it to be a sad little OS lacking a lot of basic functionality. I feel similarly about Windows Phone 8. I could list all my complaints, but thousands of others already have. http://windowsphone....ure-suggestions That's where everyone's WP7.x hopes and dreams went to die. Microsoft didn't listen to them.

I really wanted to love Windows Phone. I really did.

#20 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Lenovo A820

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:17

I want 7.8 too .... eagerly awaiting it here. I have no intention of upgrading again for another 18 months.

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:24

the reason WP 7.8 shouldn't be canceled is, from how i see it, there are gonna be new WP 7.8 devices being released as the low end WP devices

this has already been proven as mexico and a few other not so high up countries already plan to do this

#22 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:25

Yea kill 7.8 off before it's already released, and while we're at it, let stop updating Windows 7, and Office 2010

:/ Thread / Fail

#23 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:33

I don't think 7.8 is all that great of an update.

I think 7.8 is a great update, but could be much better. Really, all I'm missing is background VOIP. Other than that, I'm loving 7.8. There is absolutely no way I could go back to the old start screen.

#24 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2013 - 22:56

http://www.wpcentral...g-new-ad-report

67% of WP users are still on 7.5 phones. That 8% 900 users? They've got at least 1.5 years left on their contract. Most of the rest have been released in the last year and a half, which means they have at least a year left on their contract. I see no reason to abandon them.

#25 oliver182

oliver182

Neowinian

• Phone: Alcatel OneTouch Idol Ultra

Posted 07 January 2013 - 23:11

There's simply no reason this couldn't have been delivered to customers shortly after WP8 devices went on sale.

-Dot.

WP8 devices are not world wide available yet. I'm still here with my WP7 handset, waiting for 7.8 or WP8 devices, witch ever comes first.

#26 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 07 January 2013 - 23:31

I dunno. You think? (Honest question) Personally, I think by this point it's a lost cause, with many already having got their upgrade, or will be getting it soon. Better for Microsoft just to focus on WP8, and getting updates for that out the door on time.

A lot of folks bought the Lumia 900 less than a year ago. They have over a year left on their contracts.

#27 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 00:02

Downloaded the unbranded 7.8 update from NaviFirm Plus, flashed it to my Lumia 710 using the downloader.exe tool from XDA

I am now the proud owner of a WP7.8 :D

Loving the new UI :D

#28 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

Posted 18 January 2013 - 00:28

Downloaded the unbranded 7.8 update from NaviFirm Plus, flashed it to my Lumia 710 using the downloader.exe tool from XDA

I am now the proud owner of a WP7.8 :D

Loving the new UI :D

That's what I did and it was definitely worth it.

#29 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 00:32

That's what I did and it was definitely worth it.

Yep definitely, phone feels weird to look at now, its like one of those house phones for partially blind people with the massive numbers compared to 7.5 UI

#30 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

Posted 18 January 2013 - 00:34

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wouldn't a company that is currently trying to get their newest phone OS off the ground at least "try" to support (to some extent) their previous OS by releasing their much hyped upgrade in a timely manner thereby keeping their current customers happy?
This entire 7.8 debacle reeks of fail by microsoft, if I owned a lumia 900 or titan or whatever and I am on the fence about continuing the microsoft relationship when it comes time to upgrade this whole WP7.8 fail would definitely push me in the direction of either android or ios without a doubt.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!