Windows Phone 7.8-Time for Microsoft to kill it off.

I dunno. You think? (Honest question) Personally, I think by this point it's a lost cause, with many already having got their upgrade, or will be getting it soon. Better for Microsoft just to focus on WP8, and getting updates for that out the door on time.

A lot of folks bought the Lumia 900 less than a year ago. They have over a year left on their contracts.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded the unbranded 7.8 update from NaviFirm Plus, flashed it to my Lumia 710 using the downloader.exe tool from XDA

I am now the proud owner of a WP7.8 :D

Loving the new UI :D

Downloaded the unbranded 7.8 update from NaviFirm Plus, flashed it to my Lumia 710 using the downloader.exe tool from XDA

I am now the proud owner of a WP7.8 :D

Loving the new UI :D

That's what I did and it was definitely worth it.

That's what I did and it was definitely worth it.

Yep definitely, phone feels weird to look at now, its like one of those house phones for partially blind people with the massive numbers compared to 7.5 UI

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wouldn't a company that is currently trying to get their newest phone OS off the ground at least "try" to support (to some extent) their previous OS by releasing their much hyped upgrade in a timely manner thereby keeping their current customers happy?

This entire 7.8 debacle reeks of fail by microsoft, if I owned a lumia 900 or titan or whatever and I am on the fence about continuing the microsoft relationship when it comes time to upgrade this whole WP7.8 fail would definitely push me in the direction of either android or ios without a doubt.

I just realised there is no Bluetooth file transfer, or I can't find it, maybe this is not the final 7.8?

No ringtone creator either

http://www.youtube.c...?&v=16Au7M-r4Mo

You can install BTFT by visiting this page on your phone and clicking the link above the QR Code, the ringtone maker app link is there too but says its not available for my phone

http://www.wpcentral.com/ringtone-maker-and-bluetooth-share-windows-phone-78-now-available

Looks like 7.8 will be coming towards the end of the month - let's hope so, if it doesn't, may have to do it via nokia care etc......

I say it's about time and also that I'm ready to hear about the next update to WP8. I hope they talk about it in February at MWC.

31st Jan appears to be the date that they will start and roll out 7.8. Four different couriers have now started that the update will be available in Jan. Telstra from Austrailia says that it will start on 31st Jan. The guys over at WPCentral are confident that MS will make an announcement in the coming days.

http://www.wpcentral.com/january-31-start-windows-phone-78-update-microsoft

Galaxy S. Released in 2010. Capable of running Android 4.2

So much for Windows Phone being the answer for the blues of Android fragmentation.

I've been running 7.8 on my HTC Trophy for about 10 days now thanks to a custom rom on XDA. A friend of mine had a Trophy also, since we're both Verizon subscribers, so I did his, too, but then the ****** went out and got himself an 8x. Comparing WP7.5 to WP7.8 and examining WP8 it seems that the only significant changes are having the 3 tile size options on the home screen, having more accent colors (which still doesn't help much because there are still only 2 that I like, which I suppose is better than the 1 from WP7.5, but still I would like custom colors built into the OS without having to edit the registry, which I can only do because the rom I have is unlocked) and (I don't even care about this, but I suppose it's worth mentioning) being able to set your lockscreen wallpaper to bing images. While WP8 isn't a huge leap from that, looking through the settings menus reveals that there are still quite a few options that are not in WP7.8. In fact, I don't know why WP7.8 exists and they couldn't just release WP8 for older phones, because frankly I didn't see anything in WP8 that didn't look like it could possibly work on my Trophy.

Galaxy S. Released in 2010. Capable of running Android 4.2

So much for Windows Phone being the answer for the blues of Android fragmentation.

And how many Galaxy S's received an official update to Android 4.2?

Samsung also released the Omnia 7 in 2010 and they are scheduled to receive WP7.8. They also don't suffer from the any lag.

I've been running 7.8 on my HTC Trophy for about 10 days now thanks to a custom rom on XDA. A friend of mine had a Trophy also, since we're both Verizon subscribers, so I did his, too, but then the ****** went out and got himself an 8x. Comparing WP7.5 to WP7.8 and examining WP8 it seems that the only significant changes are having the 3 tile size options on the home screen, having more accent colors (which still doesn't help much because there are still only 2 that I like, which I suppose is better than the 1 from WP7.5, but still I would like custom colors built into the OS without having to edit the registry, which I can only do because the rom I have is unlocked) and (I don't even care about this, but I suppose it's worth mentioning) being able to set your lockscreen wallpaper to bing images. While WP8 isn't a huge leap from that, looking through the settings menus reveals that there are still quite a few options that are not in WP7.8. In fact, I don't know why WP7.8 exists and they couldn't just release WP8 for older phones, because frankly I didn't see anything in WP8 that didn't look like it could possibly work on my Trophy.

I have a feeling that Verizon will have something for you in the 920s range by May. As far as 7.8 vs 8.0, while the upfront changes don't look like much it's more the underneath features in 8 that make the difference. Kernel, drivers, graphics system and all the other api changes that aren't in 7.8.

I also expect that going forward that the differences will become more once we get a few updates to 8.

Maybe. It's not like I don't want the CPU upgrade or more RAM or a better camera or a higher screen resolution, so of course I will upgrade. In the meantime, though, while I didn't expect to get things like kid's corner, at the very least they could have thrown in the new lock screen with notification options as well. There are a ton of other minor settings that could have easily been in WP7.8, too, though. I'm glad I have it, even if it's not through official channels. Hell, I'm probably happier than I would be through an official update, because now I have interop unlock and I can install Twin Blades, a game I bought and cannot install any longer because it was removed from the marketplace. However, it's obvious that 7.8 is a very minor update that has no real value at all except to give the illusion that 7.8 is almost as good as 8. I am glad to have the smaller tile sizes available, because that's pretty much all the update is, at least on the surface, but 7.8 could have gone a lot further to bridge the gap between 7 and 8. Especially considering all those poor ****s who recently bought Lumia 800s and 900s and now aren't going to get an update to 8 even though their hardware could probably handle it easily.

Lumina owners get other things the rest of us don't though so I don't feel that sorry for them.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been patiently waiting for my update to my HTC trophy (Verizon). I am as disappointed as the OP, MS really blew it here :/ Time to focus on making the next WP8 update as groundbreaking as the 7.5 update was