Photo

Windows Phone 7.8-Time for Microsoft to kill it off.

windows phone

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:32

That's what I did and it was definitely worth it.

Live tiles have a new elastic type bounce to them when they spin now

#32 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:55

That's what I did and it was definitely worth it.

I just realised there is no Bluetooth file transfer, or I can't find it, maybe this is not the final 7.8?

No ringtone creator either

#33 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:00

Crap thread is crap.

#34 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 13:50

I just realised there is no Bluetooth file transfer, or I can't find it, maybe this is not the final 7.8?

No ringtone creator either
http://www.youtube.c...?&v=16Au7M-r4Mo

You can install BTFT by visiting this page on your phone and clicking the link above the QR Code, the ringtone maker app link is there too but says its not available for my phone

http://www.wpcentral...8-now-available

#35 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Moto G 4G

Posted 19 January 2013 - 13:55

Looks like 7.8 will be coming towards the end of the month - let's hope so, if it doesn't, may have to do it via nokia care etc......

#36 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 19 January 2013 - 13:58

I say it's about time and also that I'm ready to hear about the next update to WP8. I hope they talk about it in February at MWC.

#37 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Moto G 4G

Posted 20 January 2013 - 18:52

31st Jan appears to be the date that they will start and roll out 7.8. Four different couriers have now started that the update will be available in Jan. Telstra from Austrailia says that it will start on 31st Jan. The guys over at WPCentral are confident that MS will make an announcement in the coming days.

http://www.wpcentral...pdate-microsoft

#38 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 January 2013 - 18:58

Galaxy S. Released in 2010. Capable of running Android 4.2

So much for Windows Phone being the answer for the blues of Android fragmentation.

#39 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:11

I've been running 7.8 on my HTC Trophy for about 10 days now thanks to a custom rom on XDA. A friend of mine had a Trophy also, since we're both Verizon subscribers, so I did his, too, but then the ****** went out and got himself an 8x. Comparing WP7.5 to WP7.8 and examining WP8 it seems that the only significant changes are having the 3 tile size options on the home screen, having more accent colors (which still doesn't help much because there are still only 2 that I like, which I suppose is better than the 1 from WP7.5, but still I would like custom colors built into the OS without having to edit the registry, which I can only do because the rom I have is unlocked) and (I don't even care about this, but I suppose it's worth mentioning) being able to set your lockscreen wallpaper to bing images. While WP8 isn't a huge leap from that, looking through the settings menus reveals that there are still quite a few options that are not in WP7.8. In fact, I don't know why WP7.8 exists and they couldn't just release WP8 for older phones, because frankly I didn't see anything in WP8 that didn't look like it could possibly work on my Trophy.

#40 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:13

Galaxy S. Released in 2010. Capable of running Android 4.2

So much for Windows Phone being the answer for the blues of Android fragmentation.

And how many Galaxy S's received an official update to Android 4.2?

Samsung also released the Omnia 7 in 2010 and they are scheduled to receive WP7.8. They also don't suffer from the any lag.

#41 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:20

I've been running 7.8 on my HTC Trophy for about 10 days now thanks to a custom rom on XDA. A friend of mine had a Trophy also, since we're both Verizon subscribers, so I did his, too, but then the ****** went out and got himself an 8x. Comparing WP7.5 to WP7.8 and examining WP8 it seems that the only significant changes are having the 3 tile size options on the home screen, having more accent colors (which still doesn't help much because there are still only 2 that I like, which I suppose is better than the 1 from WP7.5, but still I would like custom colors built into the OS without having to edit the registry, which I can only do because the rom I have is unlocked) and (I don't even care about this, but I suppose it's worth mentioning) being able to set your lockscreen wallpaper to bing images. While WP8 isn't a huge leap from that, looking through the settings menus reveals that there are still quite a few options that are not in WP7.8. In fact, I don't know why WP7.8 exists and they couldn't just release WP8 for older phones, because frankly I didn't see anything in WP8 that didn't look like it could possibly work on my Trophy.

I have a feeling that Verizon will have something for you in the 920s range by May. As far as 7.8 vs 8.0, while the upfront changes don't look like much it's more the underneath features in 8 that make the difference. Kernel, drivers, graphics system and all the other api changes that aren't in 7.8.

I also expect that going forward that the differences will become more once we get a few updates to 8.

#42 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 19:43

Maybe. It's not like I don't want the CPU upgrade or more RAM or a better camera or a higher screen resolution, so of course I will upgrade. In the meantime, though, while I didn't expect to get things like kid's corner, at the very least they could have thrown in the new lock screen with notification options as well. There are a ton of other minor settings that could have easily been in WP7.8, too, though. I'm glad I have it, even if it's not through official channels. Hell, I'm probably happier than I would be through an official update, because now I have interop unlock and I can install Twin Blades, a game I bought and cannot install any longer because it was removed from the marketplace. However, it's obvious that 7.8 is a very minor update that has no real value at all except to give the illusion that 7.8 is almost as good as 8. I am glad to have the smaller tile sizes available, because that's pretty much all the update is, at least on the surface, but 7.8 could have gone a lot further to bridge the gap between 7 and 8. Especially considering all those poor ****s who recently bought Lumia 800s and 900s and now aren't going to get an update to 8 even though their hardware could probably handle it easily.

#43 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 January 2013 - 22:33

Lumina owners get other things the rest of us don't though so I don't feel that sorry for them.

#44 jasonon

jasonon

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:46

I have been patiently waiting for my update to my HTC trophy (Verizon). I am as disappointed as the OP, MS really blew it here :/ Time to focus on making the next WP8 update as groundbreaking as the 7.5 update was