13 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Neowin^^

As a new owner of a Galaxy Tab 2 which comes with a very short USB-cable I wondered if it's safe to use a regular USB 2.0 extension cable with the wall-charger? I'm not sure because a wall-outlet obviously provides more power than the usual USB 2.0 port so I figured I would ask first before I fry something :pinch:

Thanks for any answers in advance :)

Posted

Yes

Posted

Just don't use it after midnight.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Hum' timestamp='1357574786' post='595438254']
[/quote]

Or get it wet!

Posted

[quote name='nik louch' timestamp='1357574682' post='595438250']
Yes
[/quote]

Posted

I just recently tried to do this on my iPad but it didn't work. It said it wasn't charging, but it was doing a trickle charge as if it was plugged into the PC. I was just using a little 3 foot USB 2.0 extender, but again doesn't work with the iPad

Posted

Whoa that was quick, thanks for the fast replies everyone^^

[quote name='Hum' timestamp='1357574786' post='595438254']
[/quote]

And Hum but but... okay :( I guess wall-chargers need their sleep too :rofl:

[quote name='king_of_hearts' timestamp='1357574877' post='595438256']
Or get it wet!
[/quote]

Awww there goes my idea of watching anime underwater while exploring a coral-reef :(

[quote name='SMELTN' timestamp='1357576262' post='595438314']
I just recently tried to do this on my iPad but it didn't work. It said it wasn't charging, but it was doing a trickle charge as if it was plugged into the PC. I was just using a little 3 foot USB 2.0 extender, but again doesn't work with the iPad
[/quote]

Oh okay that is interesting, I guess I just have to try and see what happens :/

EDIT: And that reminds me, could I somehow trick my PC's USB 3.0 ports to provide the Galaxy Tab 2 with USB 3.0 power even though it's only a 2.0 device?

Posted

To the dude who commented on his iPad not charging - not all pins were connected. That would have been a sync cable not a sync'n'charge cable. On Android, it's usually a more common usb cable so no such worries.

Posted

[quote name='nik louch' timestamp='1357576926' post='595438364']
To the dude who commented on his iPad not charging - not all pins were connected. That would have been a sync cable not a sync'n'charge cable. On Android, it's usually a more common usb cable so no such worries.
[/quote]

Ah yeah that would also explain why my iPhone 4 would sometimes switch to "Charger not supported" when I used a old, beat-down iPod cable before, I guess due to the nature of the connection-port Apple devices are a bit more sensitive with that :/

Posted

My dog ate my charger cord, and I had some spare 3 or 4 feet (not sure which, it's been a while back) usb 2.0 extension cables laying around....so I ended up soldering together an extension into my factory USB cable, which made it around 6 feet long or so, and works like a charm! Then, I thought...well, this could work...so I plugged in another 3 foot extension into my wall wart, plugged my droid into the "franken-cable", if you will, and now I have about 9~ish feet of cord for when I can't be right beside a plug in, for example. It works without any problems. (Y)
2 people like this

Posted

If you have to buy one you might consider a USB 3.0 cable so that it will work with many different devices. As a example the ASUS TF requires a 3.0 cable due to a special charging design.

Posted

Don't charge it with a[color=#ff0000] RED SHIRT[/color]!!!! I WARN YOU!!!

Posted

[quote name='obiwankenobi' timestamp='1357578835' post='595438432']
My dog ate my charger cord, and I had some spare 3 or 4 feet (not sure which, it's been a while back) usb 2.0 extension cables laying around....so I ended up soldering together an extension into my factory USB cable, which made it around 6 feet long or so, and works like a charm! Then, I thought...well, this could work...so I plugged in another 3 foot extension into my wall wart, plugged my droid into the "franken-cable", if you will, and now I have about 9~ish feet of cord for when I can't be right beside a plug in, for example. It works without any problems. (Y)
[/quote]

Whoa okay if even such a franken-cable works I'm not scared of issues anymore^^ Nice job with this! :D

[quote name='helpifIcan' timestamp='1357595802' post='595439074']
If you have to buy one you might consider a USB 3.0 cable so that it will work with many different devices. As a example the ASUS TF requires a 3.0 cable due to a special charging design.
[/quote]

Well I still have a ton lying around but thanks for the suggestion as that might be a good future-proof advice :)

[quote name='remixedcat' timestamp='1357639230' post='595439776']
Don't charge it with a[color=#ff0000] RED SHIRT[/color]!!!! I WARN YOU!!!
[/quote]

But but does that even apply when I'm not in Starfleet Captain Remixedcat? D: