• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#76 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,073 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:22

I took a paycut for a job I love and have risen steadily in the organization where I work. I think if you do something you love you in an environment you love of course you will get promoted because you will demonstrate genuine passion. Short term loss definitely worth it!

I did exactly this. I left my first job in 2011 to join the company I'm at now. I left a full developer position at my former employer to join a graduate program at a slightly smaller wage (cost of living taken into account) half way across the country. Everyone (parents included) thought I was insane. A year later I'm getting £10,000 more in salary than I was after 2 years at my old place.

Jobs, like everything are a long term game. Play the right career move, and a bit of short-term pain pays off in spades.

#77 .bin

.bin

I'm here for the free cookies!

• 552 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:21

I work in Finance.

I like computers, too. I'm a codejunkie by night. :rofl:

#78 YanksOnTop

YanksOnTop

Neowinian Senior

• 1,765 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:28

Sometimes (When the regular Job is slow)
and
Yes. I love tech.

#79 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• 5,286 posts
  • Phone: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV through a Fender Rumble 150. Can ya hear me now?

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:42

I used to... well still kinda do. Corp office is in another state (where the actual IT dept is located), but I've had to get involved with a few network/server/printer/idiot users issues in our office.

Yes I still love tech/computers.

#80 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,704 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:26

I took a paycut for a job I love and have risen steadily in the organization where I work. I think if you do something you love you in an environment you love of course you will get promoted because you will demonstrate genuine passion. Short term loss definitely worth it!

Agreed 100%. I started out as a tech making dirt, which is what they actually pay you at a state-run community college. I struggled and lived on a very modest salary and incredibly tight budget for a couple of years. But it was worth it as the work environment is great - loads of good people around who like what they do. That positive environment helped me get 2 major promotions in just 5 years. Now I'm making 3x what i started at and still (mostly) love my job, and consider myself quite fortunate.

We spend so much of our lives at work that it's critical to find something we can at least feel somewhat good about. (Y)

#81 Michael Lacey

Michael Lacey

Neowinian

• 795 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:40

Yes to both

#82 bitbucket

bitbucket

Neowinian Senior

• 3,947 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:49

Yes and yes,

like a few other fellow posters, I also left a lucrative contracting role working in the infrastructure space at a global finance firm. I hated working there, my managers couldn't manage themselves out of a debt of a dollar. Even though I was being paid a bucket load of monies.

I took a rather LARGE paycut to go where I am now. Better environment, more challenging and support from my manager mades up for the pay difference for now :)

#83 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• 1,365 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:20

I do not work in IT. I am intrigued by technology and gadgets, but I went to school and am looking for work in the geography field. Ideally, I'd love to get a job which combines geography and IT, but at the moment, I'm stuck working in the electronics department at a major national retailer.

#84 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• 2,960 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33

web developer
and yes ... love it

#85 EyEvil

EyEvil

I let the dogs out!

• 286 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43

Both yes, recently changed career

#86 ThisIsStockerHD

ThisIsStockerHD

Neowinian

• 1,218 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52

Yes to both for me, I work in IT and I love IT techy wechy stuff :)

#87 ahinson

ahinson

Neowinian

• 453 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:01

Yes - Software Engineer
Yes.

#88 OP tim_s

tim_s

• 340 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:21

How many people are using Windows / Mac / Linux for day to day work?

#89 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,315 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:29

Agreed 100%. I started out as a tech making dirt, which is what they actually pay you at a state-run community college. I struggled and lived on a very modest salary and incredibly tight budget for a couple of years. But it was worth it as the work environment is great - loads of good people around who like what they do. That positive environment helped me get 2 major promotions in just 5 years. Now I'm making 3x what i started at and still (mostly) love my job, and consider myself quite fortunate.

We spend so much of our lives at work that it's critical to find something we can at least feel somewhat good about. (Y)

CCivil service IT rocks specially at schools and libraries. I am an IT admin at a library. While MY salary isn't as good as private sector I get a pention AND 5 weeks paid vacation. Also none of that Must be fixed now, pressure of a private company.

#90 Routerbad

Routerbad

Neowinian Libertarian

• 852 posts
  • Phone: WP7.5

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:30

I used to work in an IT field, but dealing with the stupidity of end users really drained me mentally so I left that job. I will always love technology and electronics though, they cannot kill that for me

Once you work yourself into an engineering role, the only end user interaction you'll likely see is when creating use cases to design solutions around. Even as an SA you shouldn't deal with users on a regular basis, that's tier 1 tier 2 stuff.