Gmail and IMAP Support

Hello

I have been having issues with the IMAP accesss of gmail. Specially with the smtp server config.

For Gmail Imap support these are the settings,

Imap.gmail.com

ssl

incoming

outgoing

465 or 587

tls

The incoming works fine for incoming but the Outlook 2010 and Outlook cannot send emails and the error I get is "Outlook cannot connect to the outgoing server"

When I changed the outgoing mail setting of the smtp of my personal domain than it works fine.

Has the smtp config changed for gmail??

Please help

you don't list your outgoing servers fqdn?

Have you tried just telnet to the fqdn and port - do you get a connection?

• smtp.gmail.com
  • Port: 465 or 587
  • Requires SSL: Yes
  • Requires authentication: Yes

budman@ubuntu:~$ telnet smtp.gmail.com 465

Trying 74.125.142.109...

Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.

Escape character is '^]'.

telnet smtp.gmail.com 587

Trying 74.125.142.108...

Connected to gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 mx.google.com ESMTP hg2sm9822975igc.3

Looks to be working to me - from a connection standpoint on those ports.

Might be related or not, but what ISP connection are you on? My work internet connection doesn't allow SMTP connections, so I can receive but can't send for example. Some ISPs don't allow outbound SMTP connections to any server other than their own (probably as a spam measure) too.

Agreed, some don't allow outbound on 25 - but gmail uses different ports that can not be used for standard sending of email. 465 and 587 it would be odd for isp to block those ports. But telnet test would verify this.

Hi it was working fine for me few days back, but since my format on the pc and with outlook 2013 it stopped working. I am on virgin media 100mb.

So its possible your local firewall? Is blocking the connection? Or you don't have it setup correctly with 2013 outlook compared to your previous 2010 outlook you mention.

from a quick look do not seem to find anything different for setup - but seems back in july there was some issues with the new 2013 version and gmail.

Hi Budman

I sorted it out. There is a option in outlook to repair the account. I did that and boom it started to work Upon checking the SSL and TLS port. To my suprise the smtp port worked at 25 TLS not the usual ones for gmail.

thanks for your help.:)