Dual monitors, Why do you use them?

monitor display dual

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:08

As said above, productivity. I have 3 monitors at work for Email, RDP, Excel, Web, Word, Visio, LogMeIn etc. Couldn't be without them.

At home, just a single 22".

#17 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:26

I use three simply because I like it. I can have a movie/video/TV playing on one, browsing the web on another, and working in Excel/Word on the other. I want to get a fourth touchscreen monitor since I use Windows 8 so I can put the start screen on there or read PDFs in portrait mode.

#18 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:13

I have three monitors.

Left) Dell 23" 2048 x 1152. This monitor is connected via USB 3 Plugable device. Is always in portrait mode. At present Firefox is up and running. I like the browser this way because it gives me more screen for websites like Neowin. Also iTunes 11 looks really great and allows me a full view of all my music.

Center) Hanspree 25" 1920 x 1080. Main monitor for working and game playing.

Right) Hanspree 24" 1920 x 1080. This monitor is used with VMs. At present it is running win 7 (main OS is win 8)

#19 anthdci

anthdci

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:22

I also have 3 monitors and I couldn't live without them at work.

Left - Service Desk Software - so I can see all of the tickets assigned to me
Right - Emails / Document / Sheet I'm working from / Remote Desktop Connection
Center - I class this as my "working" screen and do numerous tasks here while keeping an eye on everything else.

this for me to at work, however i use synergy have have a mac mini on my right screen and windows 7 on my left and centre.

#20 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:27

@work going from one screen two screen made work much easier.
I have have to have minimum of two to three windows and flipping screens is a pain / slows me down.

@home - I can have game running on primary screen and tv turner (cable) or web site on 2nd screen for reference.

#21 goatsniffer

goatsniffer

Supercalifragilisticexpialidosh

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:30

I use a 3 display setup on a single AMD EyeFinity card. 1 26-inch LG LEDLCD as my main monitor, and 2 x 17-inch NEC LCDs on either side.

I use the secondary displays mainly for information display purposes, mostly remote systems i may be monitoring. Or I might use them to display a webpage or document while I am working on a report on the main screen. I find I am always able to utilize the screen realestate and envision myself getting a fourth screen, like a LCD-TV and setting it up above my other three for even more. With the EyeFinity card I can attach up 4 monitors to 1 card.

I use a program called DisplayFusion to get the most out of my multi-monitor setup.

#22 James Rose

James Rose

Software Developer

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:34

I have dual monitors at work, and three at home. I write software for a living so having multiple monitors allows me to view the application on one monitor and the code on another. It is a huge savings in time and frustration.

The third monitor at home is just nice to have, not a requirement, but it allows me to have music or other extra apps.

#23 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:34

I have a dual screen setup at home (2 22's). At work I only have one monitor, but it's nice and big. However at home I will often have msn, chats, and virtual machines running on the second monitor. On the first I will have web browsers, games, videos, etc.

#24 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:37

I have 3 purely because I wanted 3 screens

#25 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

• Phone: WP8.1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:40

Two 24" HP monitors, running a variety of applications, e.g.:

For 3d work I can have a workspace spanning 2 monitors, having my tools on the second one. Or Photoshop while tweaking images,
For webdevelopment, I have two browsers spanned across the second monitor, and Dreamweaver on the main monitor,
For basic work, I have my email app ( and maybe a second app) running on monitor two, while browsing, typing etc. on monitor one,
etc.

So yes, if you really start using the second monitor, productivity goes up.

#26 Grayski

Grayski

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 17:47

this for me to at work, however i use synergy have have a mac mini on my right screen and windows 7 on my left and centre.

My left is ubuntu using synergy :)

#27 IceBreakerG

IceBreakerG

Local Ninja! Code Ninja That Is.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:27

I have 3x24" wide screen monitors on my desk at work (connected to 2 GeForce GTX560 GPUs). I'm a software developer, so on my left screen I usually keep software requirements and documentation on, center screen is my main screen, has most apps on it including Visual Studio 2012 and my browser(s), outlook, etc, and my right monitor usually has another browser window (usually the one I'm testing with) and SQL Server. This set up is massive in scale, but I couldn't imagine going back to anything less than this again. It's awesome being able to see so much information at the same time.

#28 OP medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:29

Thank you so much for these creative ideas

But in fact, I can say you use the setup for Coding ,Office documents editing, graphic production,Gaming, Web browsing/General stuff.

I am not a coder, Heavy office editor, or a graphic guy.

That leaves general stuff:Email, Browsing, Gaming, Media.But I can't see myself Gaming and paying attention to a website or a movie.

So, I am sure you get a huge benefit, but it is almost work related (Coding, Graphics, Office).But what is out there for a person who is not into these stuff.

I have a second monitor and I am going to use it eventually, but I want to know how to make full use of a 2nd monitor.

For example, you say you use Ubuntu and Windows 7. If for example, you ran Ubuntu in a virtual machine, full screen on your 2nd monitor, you could have an additional keyboard and mouse attached and hooked to that virtual machine giving you a 2nd machine fully working machine without the need to ctrl+alt, alt+tab out.. or indeed dual boot.

I have just read an article saying same thing about this setup is over-rated,but I lost the source.This may be the incentive to start this thread

I Dual Boot Ubuntu and Win7. Most of the time on Ubuntu.But a good point, though, that I can use it with my wife.Synergy is the software for that, right?

#29 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:30

have dual monitor at work, its great to have them. cant have enough desktop space!

#30 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:35

I have a 2 monitor setup at work and I don't think I could be as productive without it.

I can have a PDF open on one monitor that I'm referring to while writing a report in Word on another monitor.

The question just strikes me as an odd one... Its like, why is 2 better than 1? Because 2 > 1, that's why.