Photo

Does Android still bog down over time?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:26

I've had no end of problems with my Nexus 7.. lots of random reboots, crashes, sometimes it'll just sit there rebooting for hrs.. and that's with it relatively clean, as I nuked it not that long ago.

Have you tried re-loading from the Google Factory Image?
https://developers.g...id/nexus/images

#32 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:28

<If problem happens to you, it must be default be happening to everyone else on planet>

I've never seen this issue and have used a multitude of devices from Android 1.6 up to current.

#33 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 08 January 2013 - 20:31

The software can depending on how much your carrier screwed with it. The beauty of Android is you can flash something like CM10 or MIUI or AOSP or AOKP roms and get more...

#34 OP Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 08 January 2013 - 21:20

<If problem happens to you, it must be default be happening to everyone else on planet>

I've never seen this issue and have used a multitude of devices from Android 1.6 up to current.

Not sure if that was directed at me - if so, I think you must have missed the promotional video for Project Butter where they showed how the UI used to lag. My issue was basically the same, only it got progressively worse as time went on until the phone became literally unusable as a phone.

If I had asked "does Project Butter work as advertised?" I bet I would have gotten a lot more "yes my phone is fine" posts and less posts like yowanvista's posts that helped me gain an understanding as to what exactly is going on and why it's much less likely to be an issue on today's kernel / hardware.

That's not to say I don't value people saying their phone is fine - I do, it's always good to hear that it's not an issue affecting 100% of users. But it's also nice to hear from people saying "my <phone comparatively aged to mine> used to do this but once I got one with decent amounts of RAM it's been fine" since that inspires confidence :)

The software can depending on how much your carrier screwed with it. The beauty of Android is you can flash something like CM10 or MIUI or AOSP or AOKP roms and get more...

I've always de-branded my phones - Manufacturer's flaky update schedules are bad enough, I don't need my carrier slowing it down further ;)

But then again, the beauty of iOS is that once I see on Engadget a new iOS version is out, I can get it too, and it's always OTA as well :)

#35 Ryoken

Ryoken

The Other Other White Meat

• Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7, iPad Mini

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:13

Have you tried re-loading from the Google Factory Image?
https://developers.g...id/nexus/images

Yes.
I also get random crashes, even with stock apps.. like Chrome..

Though since I got an iPad Mini, I haven't really messed with all that much.. I really should RMA it and see if maybe it's hardware..

#36 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:28

The problem usually is that you keep on stacking up new apps and more apps that keep doing more in the background. Doing a clean install every X months isn't such a bad idea.

In general Android is pretty robust though. I've had an Arc, Arc S, Neo, S and T for quite a while and with every generation the effect got much less bad. Before switching to the T I'd been using the S for about 6 months without a reinstall and it really did fine. No slowdowns at all.

I've now also placed my pre-order for the Xperia Z :) It looks like a kickass phone, and with 2GB RAM you just can't go wrong.

#37 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 22:41

I started off with in Android with a Nexus One, then a Samsung Galaxy S, then a Galaxy Note. All without much issue. Any issues I have had were attributed to bad ROM developers. Just had to find a suitable ROM and it's been smooth sailing. Even my Nexus One has ICS on it. Haven't tried to put JB on it yet.

#38 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:40

I had a Droid DNA for about a week, and Android bogged down so badly on the "Worlds most powerful superphone" that I got rid of it. It was bad enough everything felt disconnected from everything else, but it was laggy, unresponsive at times, and once you had 1-2 apps open, it ran horrible.

I generally have 4-5 apps open on my nexus 7 and it's always smooth.

I've had no end of problems with my Nexus 7.. lots of random reboots, crashes, sometimes it'll just sit there rebooting for hrs.. and that's with it relatively clean, as I nuked it not that long ago.

That is certainly not normal, i've never seen any crashes or random reboots on my nexus 7. Sounds like its defective of its 'rebooting for hours'...

#39 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:48

if you have an adroid device, you should be on XDA :)

XDA regulars would have a heart attack if they saw your suggestion. The last thing they want is for it to be filled to the brim with what they'd perceive to be needy people who post without searching first, don't follow forum rules, and generally act entitled to tech support from a bunch of hobbyists.

In other words, your typical open sourceinternet community.

#40 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:50

It's not as bad as what it might appear from the OP's text, but my Arc definitely performed poorly cause of outdated specs

#41 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:53

My Galaxy Nexus does this (running ICS 4.0.4), runs smooth and over time becomes incredibly laggy to the point it's nearly unusable. Even Jelly Bean (4.1, custom ROM) over time lags like crazy on my Acer A500 (not sure if the ROM is at fault or faulty hardware on the tablet). So Android is still an extremely laggy experience for me (what doesn't help is that fact iOS runs silky smooth on my gen5 iPod touch, never lags....so going back to my laggy Android is hard sometimes :laugh:). I really hope 4.1 fixes the lag issues on my Galaxy Nexus, that is if it ever gets released (my Galaxy Nexus is carrier locked and they are sitting on the update, claim they found a serious bug in it) and yes I know I could root it, but to make it work properly on my carrier would involve alot of fiddling which I can't be bothered doing :p

#42 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:52

My first android phone the galaxy note 2 coming from iphones. Never experienced the problem. The phone runs quickly and I haven't had to restart it yet. Everything is stock

#43 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:15

Absolutely it does. And before the pathetic fanboys come out and flame me, I've owned more Android devices than anything else.

Galaxy Nexus did.
HTC One X did.
Galaxy S3 did. S3 was the friggin worst.

#44 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:59

My Galaxy Nexus does this (running ICS 4.0.4), runs smooth and over time becomes incredibly laggy to the point it's nearly unusable. Even Jelly Bean (4.1, custom ROM) over time lags like crazy on my Acer A500 (not sure if the ROM is at fault or faulty hardware on the tablet). So Android is still an extremely laggy experience for me (what doesn't help is that fact iOS runs silky smooth on my gen5 iPod touch, never lags....so going back to my laggy Android is hard sometimes :laugh:). I really hope 4.1 fixes the lag issues on my Galaxy Nexus, that is if it ever gets released (my Galaxy Nexus is carrier locked and they are sitting on the update, claim they found a serious bug in it) and yes I know I could root it, but to make it work properly on my carrier would involve alot of fiddling which I can't be bothered doing :p

It's extremely easy to root an Android phone. I had my friend root her phone, and she drove through the whole process, while I watched. Hell there are even toolkits that pretty much do everything for you. There's a plethora of information/videos on the internet :p My Galaxy Nexus has been stable, and Jelly Bean made it so much smoother.

Absolutely it does. And before the pathetic fanboys come out and flame me, I've owned more Android devices than anything else.

Galaxy Nexus did.
HTC One X did.
Galaxy S3 did. S3 was the friggin worst.

Yeah, and my Windows Phone started to bog down after a while. The main UI was still smooth, but once you open up too much apps, it was game over. Not to mention the 'mulitasking' on WP just blows compared to Android/iOS

#45 OP Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 09 January 2013 - 19:11

So it seems today, the other shoe dropped, putting me firmly back into the realm of insecurity :p

It's not as bad as what it might appear from the OP's text, but my Arc definitely performed poorly cause of outdated specs

Yeah I accept that, since I don't remember what apps I was running, I may very well have installed something that had bugs in it causing this to occur. But the point remains, iOS has not degraded in a similar fashion despite similar usage patterns. Whatever the cause, I hope that if I do take the plunge and go with another Android device, it won't suffer similar issues.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!