WHich SSD?

Ok guys gonna be getting an SSD for my birthday so need some advice on what to get

i have seen a few

Crucial M4 128gb - ?80.54

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-marvell-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-175mb-s-35000-io

Samsung 840 120gb - ?81.74

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120gb-samsung-840-basic-25-ssd-3-core-mdx-toggle-nand-read-530mb-s-write-130mb-s-256mb-cache-85k-iop

OCZ Vertex 4 - ?91.34

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-ocz-vertex-4-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-indilinx-everest-2-mlc-read-560mb-s-write-430mb-s-1gb-cache

My laptop is only sata 2 but thinking for future here aswell so when i get a new laptop i can just throw this in it

your guys opinions would be great

Have you looked into the highend corsairs?

you will immediately hear a lot of bashing on OCZ, personally I have had zero problems with them and they are working great on all my systems. heard lots of good things about the samsung as well.

This is a very good guide to go by as far as I can tell.

http://www.techspot.com/review/597-budget-ssd-review/

Unfortunately it puts the ones you picked as it's top picks.

Highly recommend the Vertex 4. Great SSD and blazing fast. You also get a 5 year warranty, which is huge since the others only offer 3.

The M4 is a good budget SSD, but it's tech is starting to age. Since you only have SATA 2, this one will work perfectly fine though.

And I would recommend against the 840 as it has inferior components. The 840 Pro is great, but the regular 840 is not.

yeah heard OCZ were something to steer clear of but others praise the hell out of them and with a 5 year warranty is it fails i can get it replaced yeah?

you should probably get 256GB instead of 128 if SSD is your only and primary harddrive. OS and programs take up a lot of space and when SSD reaches more than 80% of capacity it will slow down.

The 4 series OCZs are fine, I wouldn't worry about them. I would, as noted above, consider a 256 Gb drive though, especially if you want to use this in the future as a single drive. 128s fill up quickly these days.

OCZ has been fine since they straightened out the firmware in the Vertex 3. Those were SandForce controllers though, which were troublesome for every company. The Vertex 4 uses Indilinx, which is very very high quality. I still have a first gen Vertex which uses Indilinx and it's been to hell in back with reads/writes and it's still running strong with over 10 years left of (anticipated) life left. Even if the 4 had a 1 year warranty, I wouldn't worry about it dying. The 5 year warranty is a huge bonus though, just in case.

• Like 2

OCZ has been fine since they straightened out the firmware in the Vertex 3. Those were SandForce controllers though, which were troublesome for every company. The Vertex 4 uses Indilinx, which is very very high quality. I still have a first gen Vertex which uses Indilinx and it's been to hell in back with reads/writes and it's still running strong with over 10 years left of (anticipated) life left. Even if the 4 had a 1 year warranty, I wouldn't worry about it dying. The 5 year warranty is a huge bonus though, just in case.

i agree with this

yeah heard OCZ were something to steer clear of but others praise the hell out of them and with a 5 year warranty is it fails i can get it replaced yeah?

It's really more with their 1st and 2nd gen drives; vertex / vertex 2 drives. I've been hearing mostly good things about the Vertex 4 and Vector 4. Eitherway backup your data just in case.

People have been saying that OCZ is "fixed" and fine for years now, while the actual flaws have indeed been fixed, SandForce is still not as reliable as some of the other controllers even today. Too bad Intel isn't using their own controller anymore.

People have been saying that OCZ is "fixed" and fine for years now, while the actual flaws have indeed been fixed, SandForce is still not as reliable as some of the other controllers even today. Too bad Intel isn't using their own controller anymore.

Well... OCZ doesn't use SandForce in the Vertex/Agility 4s, so... :ermm:

The 4 series OCZs are fine, I wouldn't worry about them. I would, as noted above, consider a 256 Gb drive though, especially if you want to use this in the future as a single drive. 128s fill up quickly these days.

i am fine in that sense, i will have a 1tb second drive for storing data and downloads etc

and all my important stuff ia backed up to external drives on a regular basis

i have a 160gb drive in just now and 123gb is free space lol

The Vertex's, even the newest ones, have the highest return rates according to a friend that works at an online retailer. Ive seen online stats that arent very flattering as well. Corsairs are good, Intels for sure, And Sandisk's have been reliable for me also.

I think the OCZ Vector series are newer and a touch faster than the Vertex 4, might be worth a look

The new Crucial M500 1TB SSD. That will hopefully start driving prices down to below .50 per MB in the near future. If 1TB drives were around $350 - $450 it would definitely be a game changer to laptops. Apple at $1300 for a 768SSD. smoking crack again.