Photo

MSFT: 60 million Win8 licenses sold to date.

microsoft windows 8 sales

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

• 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:08

I'm not talking about these threads. I'm talking about consumers. If they're hoping around the store like this, seems they're exploring what the OS has to offer.

That seems to run contrary to this article by the New York Times...

It used to be that a new version of the Windows operating system was enough to get people excited about buying a new computer, giving sales a nice pop.
Not this time. Windows 8, the latest edition of Microsoft’s software, failed to pack shoppers into a Microsoft store in a mall here last week, at a time when parking lots in the area were overflowing. The trickle of shopping bags leaving the store with merchandise was nothing like the steady stream at a bustling Apple store upstairs.

The clearest evidence of Windows 8’s disappointing introduction comes from the research firm NPD, which estimates that sales of Windows machines have actually dropped from a year ago.

According to NPD, stores in the United States sold 13 percent fewer Windows devices from late October, when Windows 8 made its debut, through the first week in December, than in the same period last year.

Those figures do not include sales in Microsoft’s own stores, which were the only place to buy a Surface tablet during that period, but because the stores are scarce, analysts believe it is unlikely they made a big difference.

http://www.nytimes.c...0&smid=re-share

#17 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:20

You're trying to discredit 60 million licenses sold, but posting about declining PC sales overall? Two totally different sets of numbers. Huh?

#18 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:24

the first part is hilarious. 2 old guys sat at the mall looking to see what people bought at an apple store,and what people bought at a Microsoft store,and they came to the conclusion that windows 8 isn't selling. If you don't see how ridiculous this is, then I don't know what to say.

and about the NPD report, its been asked to Microsoft,and like I posted previously.There were reasons for a dip.It was because of supply problems and shortages because of high demand.

For example, NPD Group said in late November that the new OS had gotten off to a "slow start" among consumers.
Asked about this, Reller said that Windows 8 has been meeting Microsoft's sales expectations all along, and that the high level of demand specifically for touch devices with the new OS has "surprised a lot of people."
Unfortunately, that caused an initial shortage of such devices. "Frankly, the supply was too short," she said at the event which was held at the CES show in Las Vegas and where she answered questions from a JP Morgan analyst.
There were other distribution issues. "There was some misalignment between where products were distributed and where the demand was," she said.
Microsoft made adjustments, and is still making them, she said. Many Windows 8 tablets running x86 chips are just starting to hit the market, while some tablets running Windows RT -- the Windows 8 version fo ARM chips -- didn't get the type of distribution "that would have been ideal," she said.

Dell meanwhile reported that Windows 8 demand is very high,and told people not to believe stuff you may read on the internet.

That NYT articles,smells like a sponsored report. There are many analysts managing AAPL for their companies,and they're looking out for their interests.

#19 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,424 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28

MS has been known to inflate their selling records before, I remember they got caught red handed shifting money from departments to look like sales were high but they weren't.
I don't know why there's a huge bickering between people on this.

"Dell meanwhile reported that Windows 8 demand is very high,and told people not to believe stuff you may read on the internet."
Dell and microsoft and bods phiaphrophists can report what the hell they want, doesn't mean any of it's true. The only people that know if W8 is selling are the high-up staff in companies that make the computers (this does not mean they are not lying to you) and high-up staff within microsoft...

Unless you're either of them, it's probably best you don't comment on the sales of W8 because in reality - like the rest of us - you haven't got a bloody clue.

#20 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:40

Because no one at all, asked these questions after Windows 7 went on sale. Somehow Windows 7 made it all ok, but now it's not again, because Windows 8 sucks, right?

#21 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:45

MS has been known to inflate their selling records before, I remember they got caught red handed shifting money from departments to look like sales were high but they weren't.

"Dell meanwhile reported that Windows 8 demand is very high,and told people not to believe stuff you may read on the internet."
Dell and microsoft and bods phiaphrophists can report what the hell they want, doesn't mean any of it's true. The only people that know if W8 is selling are the high-up staff in companies that make the computers (this does not mean they are not lying to you) and high-up staff within microsoft...

Unless you're either of them, it's probably best you don't comment on the sales of W8 because in reality - like the rest of us - you haven't got a bloody clue.

This is hilarious. SO publically traded companies with shareholders to answer to are lying about their sales to the world,meanwhile some old guys sitting at the mall have all the information about how good or bad something is selling?

#22 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

• 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:50

and about the NPD report, its been asked to Microsoft,and like I posted previously.There were reasons for a dip.It was because of supply problems and shortages because of high demand.

Then where are the reports of windows 8 devices selling out?

Because no one at all, asked these questions after Windows 7 went on sale. Somehow Windows 7 made it all ok, but now it's not again, because Windows 8 sucks, right?

No one asked these question with windows 7, because no one had to use its sells numbers to validate their view point.

#23 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55

No one asked these question with windows 7, because no one had to use its sells numbers to validate their view point.

The Surface sold out after it went on sale (http://www.neowin.ne...for-three-weeks). It was on back order for weeks.

As for Windows 7, Microsoft released sales figures left and right for it, but again, no one complained that they were false. Why are we now doing that to Windows 8? A bit hypocritical, no?

#24 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,074 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:59

The Surface sold out after it went on sale. It was on back order for weeks.

As for Windows 7, Microsoft released sales figures left and right for it, but again, no one complained that they were false. Why are we now doing that to Windows 8? A bit hypocritical, no?

No, because Windows 7 was just an advancement on Windows from 95+ basically. Functioned the same, same UI, just cleaner. 8 however is a whole new approach to the OS, it's cross platform, new design language, new everything.

It's like a console.. PS2 sales get compared to PS3. Xbox to XBox360 and so on. Same companies.. completely different products. I consider 8 a much bigger difference than 7 was.

#25 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,424 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:01

This is hilarious. SO publically traded companies with shareholders to answer to are lying about their sales to the world,meanwhile some old guys sitting at the mall have all the information about how good or bad something is selling?

When did I say the guy was right? Oh wait - I DIDN'T.
First result on google for 'microsoft lying about sales of' http://www.maxconsol...p/t-145756.html
Oh look, lying about sales of 360... Of course they don't mislead their shareholders, just like facebook's initial stock price was completely accurate and not at all overinflated by 20 times what it should have been... completely agree with you man...

#26 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:04

this was from November
http://www.forbes.co...indows-8-sales/

In conducting a retail survey, Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry found that Acer and Sony produced the “hottest-selling Windows 8 notebooks.” According to Chowdhry, Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) Stores had a “very strong promotion” on the Acer Aspire V5 notebook, which is powered by an Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) Core i5 processor. He estimates that each Microsoft Store had about 500 units. “[They] were completely sold out within the first 30 minutes,” Chowdhry wrote in a note to investors and reporters. During the promotional period, Microsoft sold the Aspire V5 for $399.
Not to be outdone, some Microsoft Stores also sold out of a $1,500 touch-enabled Ultrabook from Sony. “Sony Vaio Touch Intel i7 was the fastest selling Windows 8 notebook in the high-end category,” Chowdhry added.
While this may be the year that the desktop PC died, Dell has not given up on the market. And it’s a good thing, too — if it had, it could not have built the fastest-selling all-in-one Windows 8 desktop. On Black Friday, Dell’s XPS One 27 earned that crown.
Chowdhry said that while he could not get any color on the number of units available, the converged view was that the “demand was too high” for Dell’s $2,000 machine.

http://www.bestbuy.c...2edf62daaccen02

ativ smart pc (tablet ) currently sold out

if I had the time I would go and find out a lot of places where these things are sold out.

#27 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,071 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:07

I purchased mine simply because it was cheap and I was running out of time but it's probably going to be a while yet before I actually make the switch as I had some bluescreen issues last time I tried it. I still won't be operating without a start screen bypass however.

#28 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,379 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:10

When did I say the guy was right? Oh wait - I DIDN'T.
First result on google for 'microsoft lying about sales of' http://www.maxconsol...p/t-145756.html
Oh look, lying about sales of 360... Of course they don't mislead their shareholders, just like facebook's initial stock price was completely accurate and not at all overinflated by 20 times what it should have been... completely agree with you man...

I didn't see any proof that they were lying. their numbers were different than NPD. Back then NPD didn't count walmart,costco, sales,online sales and a bunch of other areas of sales. NPD could have been wrong. They've been wrong so many times. Nice try but theres zero proof of what you said being true.

#29 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 586 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:10

I gave Windows 8 a go on my laptop to trial it used as a workstation OS. The new task manager, the fact that the OS felt a lot smoother and the fact that I can use the Start Screen as a way to pin apps I use semi-frequently, but not frequently enough that I want them on my task bar lead to me upgrading my desktop as well :)

#30 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

• 197 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:11

To a lot of people sell = popularity.

With windows 7, it was no question to its popularity, so no one questioned it sells numbers.

But windows 8 isn't as popular as windows 7.
So Microsoft's sells numbers showing it sold 60 million are under question.
For example;
How many were sold directly to customers
How many were sold to oems
How many did Ballmer himself buy? (Joking of course)

These are questions people want to know, because they paint a more actuate picture of windows 8 popularity from Microsoft own mouth.