Google gives up their standards fight with Microsoft

Google today filed with the U.S. International Trade Commission to terminate its attempt to stop Microsoft from using video compression technology on the Xbox.

Microsoft wants to license two standards-essential patents for H.264 that Google controls now that it owns Motorola ? but not on Google?s proposed royalty terms.

http://allthingsd.co...inst-microsoft/

Hey Google, how is that $12.5 billion purchase working out for you?

http://allthingsd.co...inst-microsoft/

Hey Google, how is that $12.5 billion purchase working out for you?

I'd say pretty freakin' fantastic.. they are owning mobile and nobody can touch them now. It's worth FAR more than 12 billion dollars what they gained.

They might end up selling motorola mobility and get a few billion there and they got a hell of a deal with patents.

• Like 4

From what I've read, Motorola started this and Google isn't stopping them. Until now, that is.

I'd say pretty freakin' fantastic.. they are owning mobile and nobody can touch them now. It's worth FAR more than 12 billion dollars what they gained.

They might end up selling motorola mobility and get a few billion there and they got a hell of a deal with patents.

Their success in mobile has far less to do with Motorola, and far more to do with Samsung's Galaxy line kicking everyone's ass up and down the mobile market :)

• Like 4

Their success in mobile has far less to do with Motorola, and far more to do with Samsung's Galaxy line kicking everyone's ass up and down the mobile market :)

Whilst true, I think it's clear that Android has gained a lot of traction not only due to Samsung.

And Moto is a big benefit in terms of having a good chunk of patents to be on the safe side.

Moto didn't GET them there, but will certainly help them stay there. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Google has said numerous times that the reasons they purchased Motorola Mobility was A) for the Patants and B) so they would have a hardware manufacturing branch for future prospects.

• Like 1