Question

Posted

I am trying to connect a wired Xbox 360 controller to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet (running Samsung's stock Android 4.1.1 ROM) via. an OTG adapter.

When I connect it, the following two messages appear:

[i]"High-power USB device connected."[/i]

[i]"Can not access to this device. "Connected device needs power supply."[/i]

Due to this, [url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poke64738.usbjoy"]USB/BT Joystick Centre[/url] can't detect the controller.

Due to the poor English in the second message, I am presuming it's a Samsung ROM issue, rather than an Android/a tablet hardware issue.

Any ideas?

15 answers to this question

Posted

Seems like the error message gives the problem quite clearly to me...
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1357736302' post='595442280']
Seems like the error message gives the problem quite clearly to me...
[/quote]
Hardly. Loads of other Android phone/tablets users have no issues with the controller and their OTG adapter.

And are you saying you think the controller needs to be plugged into the mains? ;) Think.

Posted

This have any answers?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2TuFLQxFgQ[/media]

Posted

Not sure if it's the same for your tablet but it don't think my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the first one) supported the XBox controller until i installed a custom rom that included the necessary kernel modules.
Having said that... both my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus support it without doing anything special. I also haven't needed to use "USB/BT Joystick Center" at all, it just works when detected by Android.

Posted

[quote name='bmdixon' timestamp='1357737542' post='595442304']
Not sure if it's the same for your tablet but it don't think my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the first one) supported the XBox controller until i installed a custom rom that included the necessary kernel modules.
Having said that... both my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus support it without doing anything special. I also haven't needed to use "USB/BT Joystick Center" at all, it just works when detected by Android.
[/quote]

Yeah, I had a feeling it was related to the stock Samsung ROM :/

Posted

your USB port by default does not support high power output. so it cannot support a high power USB device, aka in this case the xbox controller. just like it wouldn't support most printers who require high power, many external HDD's. and so on.

a custom ROM "MIGHT" be able to change this by sending over spec power to the USB port, at the risk of burning it out.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1357740659' post='595442354']
your USB port by default does not support high power output. so it cannot support a high power USB device, aka in this case the xbox controller. just like it wouldn't support most printers who require high power, many external HDD's. and so on.

a custom ROM "MIGHT" be able to change this by sending over spec power to the USB port, at the risk of burning it out.
[/quote]
I'm surprised the controller is classed as a "high power" device. Sure, the vibration function is what it could be regarding, but I wouldn't if that's disabled.

I'm also annoyed that this tablet apparently can't do it, but many Samsung Galaxy phones support the Xbox 360 controller. Confusing!

Posted

a device is either designed as high power or it's not, it can't change between them.

Posted

Apparently it is a common issue with people attempting to do this however, the USB port is not providing enough power to support using the Xbox 360 controller, I would suggest using Bluetooth and a PS3 controller. (that is what I use on my Tablet and phone.)
)

Posted

[quote name='littleneutrino' timestamp='1357741771' post='595442380']
Apparently it is a common issue with people attempting to do this however, the USB port is not providing enough power to support using the Xbox 360 controller, I would suggest using Bluetooth and a PS3 controller. (that is what I use on my Tablet and phone.)
)
[/quote]

I can't really afford a PlayStation 3 controller.

Thank you for your help, guys :)

Posted

[quote name='King Mustard' timestamp='1357736460' post='595442286']
Hardly. Loads of other Android phone/tablets users have no issues with the controller and their OTG adapter.

And are you saying you think the controller needs to be plugged into the mains? ;) Think.
[/quote]

It should work if you use a powered USB hub. 360 controllers (even the wireless dongle for Windows) use a ridiculous amount of USB power.

Posted

[quote name='GreyWolf' timestamp='1357742068' post='595442394']
It should work if you use a powered USB hub. 360 controllers (even the wireless dongle for Windows) use a ridiculous amount of USB power.
[/quote]

The wireless dongle use it so it can charge up the blow the fuse capacitor :p

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1357742424' post='595442410']
The wireless dongle use it so it can charge up the blow the fuse capacitor :p
[/quote]

It doesn't even charge the controller. That's why I don't understand the power consumption. It's just a lozenge-looking lump. :p

Posted

part of it is probably the really tiny antenna inside combined with the relatively good range. and as I said, they have to get the power to constantly blow that fuse after a couple of months from somewhere.

Posted

Got it half working thanks to [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=36617849&postcount=3"]this[/url] guy.

All we need to do is plug the controller into the OTG cable [i]before[/i] you plug it into the tablet. Simple as that!

Now USB/BT Joystick Center detects the hardware, and all keypresses. However, no other apps seem to detect any keypresses (e.g. Mupen64Plus, XBMC 12.0 BETA 2 etc.)
1 person likes this