Wendy's franchisee slashes worker hours to sidestep ObamaCare

A Nebraska Wendy's franchise is slashing employee hours so the owners do not have to pay for health benefits for their workers under ObamaCare's requirements.

WOWT reports about 100 workers in non-management positions at 11 Omaha-area Wendy's will have their hours cut to 28 a week.

Gary Burdette, Vice President of Operations for the local franchise, tells the station that his restaurants cannot afford to pay for health coverage for all their employees under the new Affordable Health Care Act.

President Obama's health care overhaul requires employers to offer health insurance to employees working 32-38 hours a week.

Wendy's worker T.J. Growbeck says the reduction in hours will have a big effect on him and many of his coworkers.

?I'm hoping that I can get some sort of promotion because then I would get my hours, but everybody is shooting for that because of the hours being cut,? Growbeck told WOWT.

source

I hope this franchise location goes out of business because the employees don't perform as well as they were if they were being treated with respect. I certaintly wouldn't perform well at a job I knew didn't value me enough.

• Like 8

These type of jobs are not full time, so not sure what the problem is. Yes, you sometimes work 40+ hours in a week, but you aren't classified as a full-time employees. Unless you are a manager, there should be no expectation of medical insurance anyway. And you should be looking for a better job anyway. These type of jobs are for teenagers and retirees, not someone expecting to support themselves and possibly some dependents.

These type of jobs are not full time, so not sure what the problem is. Yes, you sometimes work 40+ hours in a week, but you aren't classified as a full-time employees. Unless you are a manager, there should be no expectation of medical insurance anyway. And you should be looking for a better job anyway. These type of jobs are for teenagers and retirees, not someone expecting to support themselves and possibly some dependents.

Welcome to the 21st century. Todays steel mills and other sorts are now our fast food chains and call centers. With the ever increasing population, there will not be a job for everyone. We must realize this, and work towards a way society can still prosper.

Unless you think that everyone should go to college to become some sort of scientist and whatnot. We need people in all fields of life, from picking up trash, serving food, all the way up to those crazy mad scientist cloning things :p To expect everyone to get a better job is very ignorant of life.

• Like 4

I've worked two or three jobs most of my life. They can too.

I'm sure they could afford to, but just would rather now. Not like they wouldn't just pass the cost to patrons. Just an excuse in my opinion.

I'm sure they could afford to, but just would rather now. Not like they wouldn't just pass the cost to patrons. Just an excuse in my opinion.

And we want to strive for a life where people must work 2 to 3 jobs at a time to just survive....... really?

Try living on 28 hours a week.

Wendy's hires all ages, with the possible exception of retirees.

They want people who are fast -- even on the cash registers.

Working more than one job creates annoying scheduling problems for those managers.

And you may get even less hours, because of the hours conflict.

When a business 'passes on' costs, they tend to get that much less business.

Only the more affluent can afford to eat there.

This isnt the first and I doubt it will be the last. You can't suddenly expect a company to add tens of thousands to their operating costs without cutting something (hours, employees, wages etc.). Welcome to the reality of Obamacare.

Decent business would already have been aiding their workers with health care. Who wants their workers to be sick? Certainly not a decent and respectful company.

None of these places are going broke, and none would. Just greedy operators.

Can I please live in your fantasyland?

• Like 3

None of these places are going broke, and none would. Just greedy operators.

That's pretty much all it is. Byproduct of our great capitalist nation. If a company is going to lose a dollar, they'll just pass it down the line in some form. It sucks, but I don't know if there's anything that can be done about it. Most people that own a business want to make money as their #1 goal. Money first, employees/customers second.

• Like 2

Every Small Business and Fast Food will do the same. That is why Obama Care is a waste.

Ask any Doctor or Med Student why it's a waste.

I know of hospital systems that are going to lose $10-15 million in subsidies from the government and from health insurance companies because of ObamaCare. Individual hospitals can lose between $1 & 4 Million. They lose big time. Less money coming in means the Doctors (especially those in residency programs) make less money, and the equipment goes into disrepair.

I'm not looking forward to my residency. I'll be 35, working 90 hours a week, making $30k a year. At least right now, people like my ex are making $53k. And trust me... for the amount of work she put in, that's nowhere near enough!

First they change the premium fries to "seconds" which is what you have now, and they call them "natural cut". When they are really just the left overs of the premium cuts. Then just last week they changed their 99 cent menu and removed 11 items from it and moved some of them up to $1.49 each, also the 5 piece chicken nugget, it's 4 piece now.. and now this. This SCREAMS that they are bleeding cash and losing money, I see something major coming not sure what yet, but something has to change.

Alot of these fast food places and stores were already slashing hours before obama care.

All these places around here, including all fast food , and stores such as walmart have been part time since before Obama was even invented.

Sensational story is sensational.

This isnt the first and I doubt it will be the last. You can't suddenly expect a company to add tens of thousands to their operating costs without cutting something (hours, employees, wages etc.). Welcome to the reality of Obamacare.

Try living on 28 hours a week.

Wendy's hires all ages, with the possible exception of retirees.

They want people who are fast -- even on the cash registers.

Working more than one job creates annoying scheduling problems for those managers.

And you may get even less hours, because of the hours conflict.

When a business 'passes on' costs, they tend to get that much less business.

Only the more affluent can afford to eat there.

See this:

http://www.usatoday....s-drop/1691429/

Wendy's was already pretty much living with losses of more than 25 million.

So ObamaCare has nothing to do with this... It's called recession. :/

But... I think that if there's a way to avoid ObamaCare, than that's a right those companies have. Employees should look for better jobs if they want better benefits. The problem is... economy is not really helping this out.

First they change the premium fries to "seconds" which is what you have now, and they call them "natural cut". When they are really just the left overs of the premium cuts. Then just last week they changed their 99 cent menu and removed 11 items from it and moved some of them up to $1.49 each, also the 5 piece chicken nugget, it's 4 piece now.. and now this. This SCREAMS that they are bleeding cash and losing money, I see something major coming not sure what yet, but something has to change.

They are :/

Stop with the looking for better jobs bs. There will always be someone doing this. People shouldn't have to find better jobs to make a living, the jobs should be providing a way to have a better life. Why else work?

If everyone just got a better job, then no one would pick up trash, serve food, or anything else that we think of as a "low job". The reality is, this is life. Our world is overpopulated, and at some point, we will completely run out of jobs for people to fill.

We, as a society, need to reform and think of a better solution, than just for someone to "get a better job".

• Like 2

Gary Burdette, Vice President of Operations for the local franchise, tells the station that his restaurants cannot afford to pay for health coverage for all their employees under the new Affordable Health Care Act.

as the owner, president, vice president make more in a month then all the employees combined for a year... yup... times are tough.

Stop with the looking for better jobs bs. There will always be someone doing this. People shouldn't have to find better jobs to make a living, the jobs should be providing a way to have a better life. Why else work?

its not the owners responsibility to provide a better life for the workers. If you say people shouldn't have to find better jobs, why don't you hire them? and give them everything that you say they should have?

Wendy's closed all the Japan stores, a few years ago. I don't see there being a Wendy's in ten years.

as the owner, president, vice president make more in a month then all the employees combined for a year... yup... times are tough.

its not the owners responsibility to provide a better life for the workers. If you say people shouldn't have to find better jobs, why don't you hire them? and give them everything that you say they should have?

Cause my business operates just fine with me and the few others I have. I don't have the money for any more workers than I already have. But they have full health insurance through BSBC, and a good life, as far as I can help lol. Their personal matters is another story :p

Also, I never said people need to hire or others should go get another job. You completely missed the point I was making, that as the times are changing, our thought of how a society works is going to need to evolve as well.

In star trek, not everyone worked. They had things that just made food and everything. At some point or another, we will have to band together and evolve as a society, or fall into the same pitfalls as other previous societies, and crumble with time.

Sure, we aren't near the technology and such as I mentioned, but it is just an example.

If you want someone to make your living, you better make theirs as well.

The business could chose NOT to cut the hours. Then they would lose a ton of money, as the reason they're doing it is because they can't afford it. When the business goes out of business, there are NO hours. Let alone 28 hours. So what can we expect these places to do? They're simply making a business decision.

• Like 2

I hope this franchise location goes out of business because the employees don't perform as well as they were if they were being treated with respect. I certaintly wouldn't perform well at a job I knew didn't value me enough.

I hope people show their "respect" for this "respectful" business owner by not giving him their money until he decides he has actual humans working for him

• Like 2

If everyone just got a better job, then no one would pick up trash, serve food, or anything else that we think of as a "low job". The reality is, this is life. Our world is overpopulated, and at some point, we will completely run out of jobs for people to fill.

We, as a society, need to reform and think of a better solution, than just for someone to "get a better job".

Yes, jobs should provide everything to us. But that should be provided with a salary and if the company wants, benefits like insurance. What the government can't do is to oblige companies to provide insurance for everyone. A free market must work both ways, just as well regarding the laws of demand and offer. If the jobs are low, consumption is also low... Companies can't do much about this, but they can manage their expenses to stay alive. If companies die, so will jobs and everything included, like the economy.

Yes, jobs should provide everything to us. But that should be provided with a salary and if the company wants, benefits like insurance. What the government can't do is to oblige companies to provide insurance for everyone. A free market must work both ways, just as well regarding the laws of demand and offer. If the jobs are low, consumption is also low... Companies can't do much about this, but they can manage their expenses to stay alive. If companies die, so will jobs and everything included, like the economy.

And they don't. Maybe you should read up on what the health care coverage actually entitles, and how it applies to businesses. You don't seem to know much about it. It doesn't apply to a business with less than 50 people. If that store has less than 50 working there, they don't have to provide it.

http://www.billlosey...ll-business.php - educate yourself please.

I don't have to, because my busines has 4... sometimes 5 or 6. But I do, because if the health of my employees drop, so does the revenue coming in. It's simple really.

• Like 1

I thought the leftests would be happy about this. They always brag about how their unions shortened the work week to 40 hours and now Obamacare has effectively reduced it to 30. They should be so proud of themselves.

• Like 2

And they don't. Maybe you should read up on what the health care coverage actually entitles, and how it applies to businesses. You don't seem to know much about it. It doesn't apply to a business with less than 50 people. If that store has less than 50 working there, they don't have to provide it.

http://www.billlosey...ll-business.php - educate yourself please.

I don't have to, because my busines has 4... sometimes 5 or 6. But I do, because if the health of my employees drop, so does the revenue coming in. It's simple really.

Ok, but I don't need to go deeper on this. Thanks :)

I'm talking about basic laws here... If a company can provide the health benefit, than that's ok. Congress approved, so that is a law. But it's not because a company is big that it is spilling money through the pores. That's the case with Wendy's... They're having losses. If a company has too many losses, it breaks just like a small company.

What I'm trying to make a point here is that it is legitimate for the company who's having losses to manage it's expenses if that's within the law. If Apple denied that to it's employees, then that should be ethically debatable, because there are huge profits coming out every quarter.

And in cutting the hours, management will expect those employees left, to make up the extra work that will need to be done.

The customer service will likely suffer.