Wendy's franchisee slashes worker hours to sidestep ObamaCare

Stop with the looking for better jobs bs. There will always be someone doing this. People shouldn't have to find better jobs to make a living, the jobs should be providing a way to have a better life. Why else work?

If everyone just got a better job, then no one would pick up trash, serve food, or anything else that we think of as a "low job". The reality is, this is life. Our world is overpopulated, and at some point, we will completely run out of jobs for people to fill.

We, as a society, need to reform and think of a better solution, than just for someone to "get a better job".

not really. Anyone who ever starts a job doesn't do it to hire as many people as possible to give them better lives. They do it to make a ton of money. If Obamacare reduces the amount of money that this franchise owner makes he either has to fine a way to cut costs or get out of business. Most aspects of the business are dictated by the corporate owners of the brand, there's not really anything to cut except the employees, so he did.

And in cutting the hours, management will expect those employees left, to make up the extra work that will need to be done.

The customer service will likely suffer.

It already is...

They have to choose:

Is the outlook better for the US economy? No.

Should they make even more debt to pay insurance? So, no.

Will service suffer? Yes.

Can we try to manage that with human resources and hiring the best people available for what we can pay? Yes.

not really. Anyone who ever starts a job doesn't do it to hire as many people as possible to give them better lives. They do it to make a ton of money. If Obamacare reduces the amount of money that this franchise owner makes he either has to fine a way to cut costs or get out of business. Most aspects of the business are dictated by the corporate owners of the brand, there's not really anything to cut except the employees, so he did.

I never said they start a job to give people better lives. But if you are going to hire someone, you better give them a good livelihood, or else your business will be affected. That is fact. Poor health, angry, or any other negative type of employee you have, will only hurt you in the end. You always want your employees to be at tip top shape. If you can have any part in making them better, through something like health insurance, it is normally worth it.

I never said they start a job to give people better lives. But if you are going to hire someone, you better give them a good livelihood, or else your business will be affected. That is fact. Poor health, angry, or any other negative type of employee you have, will only hurt you in the end. You always want your employees to be at tip top shape. If you can have any part in making them better, through something like health insurance, it is normally worth it.

and what do you do when a government mandate cuts your profits so much as to either become unprofitable or to not just be worth the endeavor in the first place?

This theory works better in healthy economies with a high demand for employees. Or else companies try to hire the best people in the market with the benefits they can offer.

There are a lot of jobless people right now. So, this reflects the abundance of people willing to work for less... It's sad, but that's what a financial crisis does to a country.

and what do you do when a government mandate cuts your profits so much as to either become unprofitable or to not just be worth the endeavor in the first place?

What government mandate is this again? The one that starts in 2014? If you can't afford to operate properly, you probably shouldn't be opening up businesses. People might not have jobs, but at least they wouldn't feel stuck in one that isn't even decent.

But again, all goes back to society needing to evolve past what we currently think it needs to do. As the world gets more populated, we can't expect everyone to have a job, or a really really good job. We have to realize that we will have to start taking care of each other, or we will all fall. It's evolution of a society. It starts off small, and as the tribe builds, and people keep taking care of each other in the proper way, it grows into bigger societies. But as that happens, the process must change and adapt.

Decent business would already have been aiding their workers with health care. Who wants their workers to be sick? Certainly not a decent and respectful company.

None of these places are going broke, and none would. Just greedy operators.

And this is the legacy of the 99%, to make anyone that works hard and runs a business into a bad-guy with zero justification.

Since when is it evil to be successful?

People create and run businesses to make money, if you want a free hand out, thats what Obama was elected for.

Otherwise, when you agree to work for a business, you agree to work for the wage they offer, if its not enough, work elsewhere.

This entitlement garbage that the lazy class is after is going to continue to destroy businesses, if you dont want to work hard, go on welfare, if you want to work for fast food you still arent going to work hard, just expect to get offered part time, and minimum wage, if YOU agree to it, YOU have no one but yourself to blame. Want a better job? Get the skills needed and get one.

What government mandate is this again? The one that starts in 2014? If you can't afford to operate properly, you probably shouldn't be opening up businesses. People might not have jobs, but at least they wouldn't feel stuck in one that isn't even decent.

But again, all goes back to society needing to evolve past what we currently think it needs to do. As the world gets more populated, we can't expect everyone to have a job, or a really really good job. We have to realize that we will have to start taking care of each other, or we will all fall. It's evolution of a society. It starts off small, and as the tribe builds, and people keep taking care of each other in the proper way, it grows into bigger societies. But as that happens, the process must change and adapt.

This is true. I agree completely... But then again, you would fall for the theory "Who's taking our jobs?" - "Who has more children than they can take proper care of?"... Pay attention to this and you'll see for yourself. :D

it was operating just fine until Obama decided it would be fun to ruin his business model... which is probably the same business model for every fast food franchisee in the planet.

it was operating just fine until Obama decided it would be fun to ruin his business model... which is probably the same business model for every fast food franchisee in the planet.

Again, can you put the actual thing that is destroying bussines in a link or something? I'd like to see that.

this article already places Obama care as the thing destroying the business. Fast food already runs on the barest of margins as far as profit goes. Everyone knows this. To increase costs like this is damaging to his business. There is no free lunch. Someone pays for it sometime, somewhere. This business owner simply decided that it wasn't going to be him. I congratulate him on making a stand.

I suppose I could ask someone at Wendy's the article says it's the one at 84th and Giles. That's just two miles up 84th street from where I live.

This is why there should be Universal Health Care in the US instead of "mandatory" health insurance.

so now you're trying to make it completely mandatory. Trying to shut this business down?

This is why there should be Universal Health Care in the US instead of "mandatory" health insurance.

I would actually agree with this, even if it was just a bare level of healthcare that was mandated, its a good start, if you want more, then start looking into insurance.

We should really ask ourselves as a society why we tolerate the people handling our food not having access to healthcare....

I would actually agree with this, even if it was just a bare level of healthcare that was mandated, its a good start, if you want more, then start looking into insurance.

Some countries do this, quite successfully. Germany, for instance.

I mean, really every socialized healthcare system implemented by any industrialized nation is arguably more successful than the US setup, in regards to outcome/cost ratio.

so now you're trying to make it completely mandatory. Trying to shut this business down?

Somehow, every other industrialized nation on the face of the planet manages to care for its population. All while paying significantly less, per capita. The vast majority of them do it through a single payer or mandatory insurance setup. Of the extreme minority that does not use such a system, they do things like enforce caps on prices.

Wendy's closed all the Japan stores, a few years ago. I don't see there being a Wendy's in ten years.

Actually, Wendy's have since come back to Japan. Haven't been to one since their re-entry, though.

Nevertheless, you are right that Wendy's, and other fast food chains, days are numbered.

Perhaps they will do like the tobacco companies and give up in the West to target Asia, and then Africa, until there is no one left on the planet stupid enough to buy their unhealthy caca.

Burdette says the decision affects around 100 employees. It was a tough one and he understands why people are upset, but the hour reduction is effective in two weeks for all non-management. Management employees will continue to have benefits as they are officially full time.

Obamacare is $1000 per employee. That makes this a $100,000 cost. You got a $100G laying around? Didn't think so.

How do you know it will ruin his business model?

Actually, Wendy's have since come back to Japan. Haven't been to one since their re-entry, though.

Nevertheless, you are right that Wendy's, and other fast food chains, days are numbered.

Perhaps they will do like the tobacco companies and give up in the West to target Asia, and then Africa, until there is no one left on the planet stupid enough to buy their unhealthy caca.

again, the leftists brag about how their economic and social policies are the policies of destruction.

How do you know it will ruin his business model?

I worked in fast food through college because of the flexible hours. I saw the revenue and costs. It's humbling to see how they get by.

They blame it on ObamaCare but I'm not so sure that is the problem. A lot of the service industry seems to be moving from a small staff of permanent workers toward more workers and more temporary help. It seems that's their answer to increasing employee benefits.

Well this and similar topic clearly shows you the people that are born with silver spoons int heir mouth.

it's the ones who think minimum and below wage people should be able to pay for everything and that the workplace has no responsibility for their workers. and the ones that think the people with these jobs can afford or have the possibility to refuse these minimum and sub minimum wage jobs...

essentially the people that think modern day slavery is perfectly fine.

I suppose I could ask someone at Wendy's the article says it's the one at 84th and Giles. That's just two miles up 84th street from where I live.

proper universal health care is the cheapest and best option in every way.

this article already places Obama care as the thing destroying the business. Fast food already runs on the barest of margins as far as profit goes. Everyone knows this. To increase costs like this is damaging to his business. There is no free lunch. Someone pays for it sometime, somewhere. This business owner simply decided that it wasn't going to be him. I congratulate him on making a stand.

Considering fast food is inherantly bad for you anyway, it SHOULD be more expensive than it is. Maybe that would reduce its appeal and lead people to having a healthier diet, which will reduce the obesity problem, and thus health related costs.

Well this and similar topic clearly shows you the people that are born with silver spoons int heir mouth.

it's the ones who think minimum and below wage people should be able to pay for everything and that the workplace has no responsibility for their workers. and the ones that think the people with these jobs can afford or have the possibility to refuse these minimum and sub minimum wage jobs...

essentially the people that think modern day slavery is perfectly fine.

proper universal health care is the cheapest and best option in every way.

I think you're missing the fact that this is fast food. if you're making a career out of this you better be a damn manager or owner. This is a job for students, not adults.