Windows 8 Creating a System Image

Windows 7 had the option to create a system image, loved this cause i could backup a new install machine and apply it back when needed. I cant find this option with Windows 8, does it exist or has MS decided to remove it.

System Image for what? They have a restore option where it won't mess with files, and a restore option to go back to factory default. Or do you want to update your image from time to time and restore that?

It's hidden and stupidly named!!

Go to Control Panel and change Category View to Large Icons then look for "Windows 7 File Recovery".

This option shows all the old backup options, including creating a system image :)

A little bit of an oversight on Microsoft's part I think.

Microsoft intentionally deprecated it and hid it away in Windows 8 because they found that the majority of the mouthbreathing, knuckle-dragging idiots with PCs never used it, therefore it should be removed.

Microsoft intentionally deprecated it and hid it away in Windows 8 because they found that the majority of the mouthbreathing, knuckle-dragging idiots with PCs never used it, therefore it should be removed.

So why not just remove it? Rather than leaving it there, hiding it and naming it stupidly?

So why not just remove it? Rather than leaving it there, hiding it and naming it stupidly?

That's how deprecation works. First you stop updating a feature, then you make it crappier in a later release, and then finally you remove it altogether.

That's how deprecation works. First you stop updating a feature, then you make it crappier in a later release, and then finally you remove it altogether.

Well I hope they eventually replace it with something more like Time Machine.

Proper backups every hour that I can selectively restore.

I hate how Windows doesn't have a proper Backup solution. "File History" works for the most part, but it's just not the same :(

I just did this last night, right before I removed 8 from the new laptop my sons gf just got..

Its not all that difficult to find, if you use the OS as designed. Charm Bar, Seach "recovery" there you go... Simple google would find you that info in like 2 seconds

Here is good guide

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-create-recovery-media-144098

I just did this last night, right before I removed 8 from the new laptop my sons gf just got..

Its not all that difficult to find, if you use the OS as designed. Charm Bar, Seach "recovery" there you go... Simple google would find you that info in like 2 seconds

Here is good guide

http://winsupersite....ry-media-144098

Thanks people. Dont know why Microsoft changed this. Going to Control Panel / System and Security / Backup and Restore / Create a System Image was fine. Why change something if it not broken!

Im upgrading my SSD in my laptop and not keen on a fresh install!

Yes. You should always create a system image just in case. Better safe than sorry, right?!

Windows 7 had the option to create a system image, loved this cause i could backup a new install machine and apply it back when needed. I cant find this option with Windows 8, does it exist or has MS decided to remove it.

And THE_OBSERVER, you just have to go into Windows 7 File Recovery. Then you will find the option to create a system image again on the left hand side.