• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 +D. FiB3R

D. FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 800

Posted 12 January 2013 - 21:23

They either work, or they don't.. so they are either good or faulty. There is no "gradually lose capability over time" with hardware...

Not actually true. Leaky capacitors can be a bitch.

#17 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 12 January 2013 - 21:56

Might have spoken too soon. After playing some Far Cry 3 and exiting to the desktop, the game froze on a loading screen. Then a few minutes after running a stress test in Furmark everything stopped responding in Windows and I had to force restart. Looks like I should be checking out a new PSU...

Aww...well that's a crock. :( What PSU are you going to get? Do you have another machine you can at least test and benchmark the card in?

#18 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 January 2013 - 22:05

Everything degrades in time and with use. So do electrolytic caps. Especially bad quality ones.
And while we're on the subject, so does magnetic field of hard disk platters, charge in flash drives decreases, if unused, and, in fact, semiconductors do degrade, albeit very slowly.

Caps do fail gradually, inhibiting their performance. Rest of things mentioned work until they fail.

#19 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:46

I'd test the card on a friend's PC before buying the PSU, just to be sure.

#20 Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:50

They either work, or they don't.. so they are either good or faulty. There is no "gradually lose capability over time" with hardware...

Here's a footnote from a power supply calculator site.

Electrolytic capacitor aging. When used heavily or over an extended period of time (1+ years) a power supply will slowly lose some of its initial wattage capacity. We recommend you add 10-20% if you plan to keep your PSU for more than 1 year, or 20-30% for 24/7 usage and 1+ years.

http://extreme.outer...n.com/PSUEngine

#21 OP DigitalManifestations

DigitalManifestations

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 13 January 2013 - 18:55

Well silly me, I forgot to change my voltage on my CPU back down to stock after decreasing my OC. Running at stock speeds with stock voltage and everything is fine. I'll gradually overclock my PC and test for issues but for now all is well. I had it stable at 3.2 with stock voltage before the GPU upgrade so I'll try that again and see. Maybe it was just my voltage all along. I guess I should pay more attention :p.

#22 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 13 January 2013 - 19:27

Well silly me, I forgot to change my voltage on my CPU back down to stock after decreasing my OC. Running at stock speeds with stock voltage and everything is fine. I'll gradually overclock my PC and test for issues but for now all is well. I had it stable at 3.2 with stock voltage before the GPU upgrade so I'll try that again and see. Maybe it was just my voltage all along. I guess I should pay more attention :p.

haha, Alright. Tell us if you run into anything else. Glad it's working for you. :)

#23 Colin Bisson

Colin Bisson

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:22

So I was playing some Diablo 3 tonight and my computer froze. I rebooted and saw these two lovely screens.

#24 OP DigitalManifestations

DigitalManifestations

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:48

Sorry about that - I was logged in to an out of use FB account on my phone and didn't realize it. Plus, I wasn't able to upload those images.Untitled.gif Untitled1.gif

I guess the whole reason I was thinking PSU (and forgive my ignorance) is things just started crashing..For example, I opened Chrome and it just ran sluggish and unresponsive. Even trying to pull up the task manager to end the task was delayed and after the system "caught up", I had to restart to have any type of performance I could use. I just didn't think a GPU could cause those issues. Again, my own ignorance.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!