Photo

Video game genres you simply don't like?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,808 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:51

Music games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Singstar, etc.), sport games (Fifa 4330, Pro Evo, Football Manager 1217, etc.) and hack and slash games (Devil May Cry, God of War, etc.). I don't find them fun in the slightest. An exception to the sports games genre is driving games, though. Gran Turismo, Burnout, those games are fun.

#17 vetScorpus

Scorpus

Tim Schiesser

• 1,376 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:55

Sports games and MMORPGs

#18 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• 2,168 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:03

Zombie games. That seems to be its own genre now, and I am frankly so sick of it. I never liked it to begin with, and thought it die quickly, but was I wrong.

Also, racing. I love Forza... the buying my car and speccing it out is fun. But I never race them. The simulation aspect is fun, not the actual purpose of the game. :p
Racing isn't a sport, which is why it is its own genre. A very boring one at that.

#19 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:18

, Black Cops 2 was a turn off

??? bahahaha :D

Whatever category Super Meat Boy falls in to for me, platform/jumpy games I just don't really like

#20 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,190 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:29

Interactive Learning Games

Anything else I can pretty much play, except

The most boring game ever made...... "Dessert Bus"

http://desertbus-gam...lockquote' ><p>
Desert Bus was a minigame included in the unreleased 1995 video game "Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors". Click here to go to the Smoke and Mirrors Wikipedia page. Here is an excerpt regarding Desert Bus:
The objective of the game is to drive a bus from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada in real time at a maximum speed of 45mph. The feat requires 8 hours of continuous play to complete, since the game cannot be paused.
The bus contains no passengers, and there is no scenery or other traffic on the road. The bus veers to the right slightly; as a result, it is impossible to tape down a button to go do something else and have the game end properly. If the bus veers off the road it will stall and be towed back to Tucson, also in real time. If the player makes it to Las Vegas, they will score exactly one point. The player then gets the option to make the return trip to Tucson—for another point (a decision they must make in a few seconds or the game ends). Players may continue to make trips and score points as long as their endurance holds out. Some players who have completed the trip have also noted that, although the scenery never changes, a bug splats on the windscreen about five hours through the first trip, and on the return trip the light does fade, with differences at dusk, and later a pitch black road where the player is guided only with headlights.
Penn Jillette commented in his radio show that the overly realistic nature of the game was in response to Janet Reno and the controversy surrounding violent video games at the time.

#21 plasmarox

plasmarox

Neowinian

• 336 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:32

If you asked me this question and gave me ten seconds to answer, I would have said that I hate sports games. But, that said - I don't actually dislike playing them, unless I just can't stand the game itself. I do dislike how they're repackaged every year, though.

I like racing games - I don't think they're boring at all. I think sometimes they're just not fun (Dirt3), but they can be really good (NFS Shift).

Like most everyone here, I like FPSs and RTSs. I'm no good competitively, but that doesn't matter :)

#22 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Minecraft Stone Miner

• 229 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia M2 LTE-A D2306

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:33

Well, I love every genre of gaming. Especially RPG's and FPS's such as Mass Effect 3 and whatnot. So, basically I love every genre.

#23 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• 8,530 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:46

I hate MMO's and JRPG's.

And although I like the Mortal Kombat series I generally don't like fighting games.

#24 +metal_dragen

metal_dragen

Neowinian Senior

• 2,269 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:00

I dislike sports games (except racing games), JRPGs, most turn-based games, fighting games, and am beginning to get really tired of FPS games.

Unlike most in this thread, I love MMOs. Sure, the mechanics in most are based on grinding for more experience, but that's why you play them with other people - to make that time go by faster by chatting, talking, doing silly stuff while grinding, etc. Playing an MMO solo is very boring, but even if you have just 1 friend to come along, it's a whole different experience.

#25 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,186 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:13

i really dont like games that dont have an ending - sports games, MMOs, multiplayer. in my case, i like to beat a game and move on to the next.

i also dont like tower defense games.

#26 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,227 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:22

i have never been a fan of Fighting games, racing games, sports games, or music games

When i was younger i did not like RTS games, that was until i came across StarCraft. Ever since i have been a fan of the RTS genre.

Favorite Genre of games is still the Traditional RPG (Final Fantasy) however, anymore i see myself spending more time playing Minecraft (FPS,sandbox) and other games like Saints Row the Third, so Third person Action games.

#27 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,552 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:22

I really dislike musics games (Guitar Hero, Singstar etc) most other games I'll play, I think the only type of game that I've never tried is MMO.

#28 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,367 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:24

most sports, most rhythm, rts, open world games, building

#29 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,529 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:25

FPS games, they've all turned crap and just want to be like CoD. Not wasting my money on them anymore.

Only enjoy RTS and erm, whatever GTA is? RPG?

#30 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,569 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:29

I dislike "sim" type games... Also really hate those types, I don't know what the genre is called but I think the old Burger Time game was one. Where you have to deal with usually an assembly-line type of thing and perform a task and it gets faster and faster until you fail, you can never actually win. I know people who love these types of games, but they just stress me out :laugh: