• This topic is locked This topic is locked
185 replies to this topic

#151 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:14

The US has almost 18 times the population versus the UK.

18 times ? ROFL? Did you pull that number from your behind?

UK has around 60M population.

US has around 320M population.

60M * 18 = 1080M

Next time, just google. These are public data and easily obtainable and doesn't make you look like a.......

#152 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,267 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:15

I think the point he was trying to make is that an AR15 is not an an Assault Riffle

The AR in the AR-15 does not stand for Assault riffle but Armalite named for the company that originally came up with the design.

that is one thing he was trying to make clear.

It doesn't make a difference to my point :p

#153 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,106 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:15

most due to drugs an alcohol..Not due to carrying a pocket knife..

I fail to see how the UK is a police state for jailing people carrying dangerous weapons when the US jails people for carrying small amounts of harmless drugs. The very argument you used against the UK actually applies more to the US. I like debating stuff with you, as you keep digging a bigger and bigger hole and doing all the work for me.

Okay let us see..... the reason that it is 500% higher is simple because....

The US has almost 18 times the population versus the UK.

The incarceration rate is measured per 100,000 people, like most statistics. It's best not to make assumptions if you don't know what you're talking about.

#154 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,925 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:17

18 times ? ROFL? Did you pull that number from your behind?

UK has around 60M population.

US has around 320M population.

60M * 18 = 1080M

Next time, just google. These are public data and easily obtainable and doesn't make you look like a.......

I did google and google reports the population of England as 53,013,000

#155 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:18

I did google and google reports the population of England as 53,013,000

OK.

53M * 18 = 954M.

Just stop.

#156 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Prisoners per 100,000 people:

US - 730
UK - 154

The number of people in the entire population doesn't matter when they're comparing a sample from each.

Assault rifles, semi-automatic rifles, whatever they are... even walking around with handguns completely in the open is a bad idea.

Personally I wouldn't open carry by myself but if it was for an organized rally and was legal to do so then I would. You reckon someone would start shooting? Wouldn't last long with dozens or other gun owners openly carrying rifles.

#157 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• 2,948 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:23

from looking at someone, can you tell if he holds a permit or no permit? Under the logic of "criminals will only have guns" then why is there laws for anything?

Open carry is legal in most states. If they're carrying concealed you won't know it anyway, it's when they commit the act that things change and that's when I'll be glad that I'm carrying concealed as well.

#158 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,106 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:23

You reckon someone would start shooting? Wouldn't last long with dozens or other gun owners openly carrying rifles.

That's incredibly naive! Most mass shooters aren't trying to come out of it alive - it's simply assisted suicide.

#159 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,925 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:25

I fail to see how the UK is a police state for jailing people carrying dangerous weapons when the US jails people for carrying small amounts of harmless drugs. The very argument you used against the UK actually applies more to the US. I like debating stuff with you, as you keep digging a bigger and bigger hole and doing all the work for me.

The incarceration rate is measured per 100,000 people, like most statistics. It's best not to make assumptions if you don't know what you're talking about.

You should also include the whole EU as well as Canada. Then they are more closer than you would think... if I wanted to do the same stat

OK.

53M * 18 = 954M.

Just stop.

is the US population including territories . So please check your sources I did google and the source that I quoted was the same that also includes territories for the UK. 954M is close to that.. that is why I said About.
and for the UK it said 52305910
Yes I included the territories because the UK also includes territories when they report population.

With the Us population that is not normally counted.

So I added them in.

Not so ignorant as you would think.

#160 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:27

That's incredibly naive! Most mass shooters aren't trying to come out of it alive - it's simply assisted suicide.

How many people you think he'd kill with dozens of rifles pointed at him? Why doesn't it happen at gun ranges or gun shows? Because they pick easy targets.

When was the last mass shooting at a gun show or range?

#161 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:30

If it was, why do they kill themselves?
Assisted means they want external help.

Bottom line, they need to start the killing with themselves, then think about where to go after that.

#162 Empyrean Glow

Empyrean Glow

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:32

It doesn't make a difference to my point :p

I'll break this down for you and try to be as simple as possible; the AR-15 is the semi-auto version of the military M-16 rifle, although most AR-15s now more closely resemble the M-4 carbine in features.

What this means is, that the AR-15 will fire one round each time the trigger is depressed, after the weapon has the intial round manually chambered.

M-16s and variants are more of a long-range weapon, where as the M-4 carbine is a more close-quarters weapon designed primarily for urban combat situations. The military versions will fire in either semi-auto, 3-round burst or full-auto, although the full-auto versions have been mostly phased out.

(I'm ex-military, former weapons instructor and maintainer for Army, Navy and USAF personnel.)

#163 CJ33

CJ33

Neowinian

• 552 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:33

Same here.

America: where it's illegal to drive above the posted speed limit but you can openly walk around carrying a gun, which can kill people in an instant.

A car can be just as dangerous as a gun.

#164 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:34

You should also include the whole EU as well as Canada. Then they are more closer than you would think... if I wanted to do the same stat
is the US population including territories . So please check your sources I did google and the source that I quoted was the same that also includes territories for the UK. 954M is close to that.. that is why I said About.

O my geez.

http://quickfacts.ce...ates/00000.html
http://www.census.go...w/popclock.html
http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States
http://geography.abo...spopulation.htm
http://www.factmonst...a/A0004997.html
http://www.indexmund...cs_profile.html
http://www.infopleas...a/A0004997.html

Please paste the link you got your 944M number. Don't just pull a number from nowhere.

If you include all US territories should the commonwealth countries to be included in UK?

Not sure if I can take you seriously anymore.

#165 Myrdhinn

Myrdhinn

Neowinian

• 78 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:35

Probably been posted, I gave up reading the whole thing... but to the person that said an AR-15 isn't an auto weapon, well, even me in canackia know those that can convert them to full auto, and really probably your average NRA gun nut can too.