Wii U sells 890,000 units in U.S. in first six weeks

OFqNt.jpg

Nintendo said today it has sold more than 890,000 Wii U systems to date in the U.S.

The new game console debuted on Nov. 18 and sold more units than the original Wii did in its first holiday season in 2006. Nintendo sold more than $300 million worth of Wii U hardware in the U.S after 41 days on the market. That beats sales of the Wii by $30 million for the comparable period in its first season, Nintendo said. However, the Wii U is priced higher than the original Wii, so the unit sales may not actually be better.

In December alone, Nintendo sold 470,000 Wii U systems.

?While the Wii launch established new benchmarks in the United States, Wii U has surpassed its predecessor in perhaps the most important category: revenue generation,? Scott Moffitt, a Nintendo of America?s executive vice president, said in a statement. ?The demand for the Deluxe SKU, which was essentially sold out at retail this holiday, and the strong attach rate of New Super Mario Bros. U show that we have the value and the games to drive momentum in 2013. We look forward to offering great new experiences and bringing smiles to millions of new faces throughout the year.?

Nintendo sold more than 2.65 million hardware units in the U.S. in the month of December. The Japanese company said that 2012 marked the 11th consecutive year that Nintendo has sold at least 8 million hardware units in the U.S.

The New Super Mario Bros. U has now sold more than 580,000 units, an attach rate of more than 65 percent. Nintendo sold more than 1.25 million units of the Nintendo 3DS handheld gaming machine in December and sold 7.7 million units in the U.S. to date. Nintendo sold 475,000 units of the Wii in December, outselling the Wii U, and more than 40.8 million units to date in the U.S.

Ubisoft?s Just Dance 3 became the tenth Wii title to sell more than 5 million units life to date.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/10/wii-u-sells-890000-units-in-u-s-in-first-six-weeks-beating-wiis-record/#lP48oA07C7OuHrfa.99

SK[' timestamp=1357902589' post='595447152]

And yet the xbox sold 1.4m in December. Pretty poor sales for a new piece of hardware in comparison.

The Wii U is too pricey IMO for a small upgrade from the Wii U.

Just curious, do you not remember that the 360 only sold 600,000 in it's launch??? And the reason it is still selling so well is it is pretty much half the price from when it was launched?

So 890,000 Units sold in just the US alone, for a console that was labeled as doomed to fail by so many, is actually damn impressive. Yet somehow the 360 lovers are going to find a way to spin it so it is not I am sure.

• Like 2

Just curious, do you not remember that the 360 only sold 600,000 in it's launch??? And the reason it is still selling so well is it is pretty much half the price from when it was launched?

So 890,000 Units sold in just the US alone, for a console that was labeled as doomed to fail by so many, is actually damn impressive. Yet somehow the 360 lovers are going to find a way to spin it so it is not I am sure.

The market has expanded exponentially since the launch of the 360 so it is worthless to compare launch numbers.

The Wii has sold 98 million units yet how much impact has it had on gaming. The console is should be judge by how many people use it.

The Wii has sold 98 million units yet how much impact has it had on gaming. The console is should be judge by how many people use it.

Sales = money. Money = businesses stay in business. So sales numbers actually do matter. That is why there is such a fixation with them.

And the Wii had no impact on gaming? Really? One could make the argument Sony never tried the Move, and MS never tries Kinect, if the Wii does not exist. So I personally do not agree with that statement whatsoever.

I personally could care less about sales numbers at the end of the day, I never purchased anything because it was or was not popular. With that said, if people want to point to sales numbers like they are the end all be all, especially just to paint one console better than another, I will happily point out the fact they are not recalling history correctly.

I am just so, so damn tired of the 360 is better than the PS3 and the PS3 is better than the Wii and the WiiU is better than the 360 and so on and so forth. It is truly the most childish immature **** in the world. It is 7 years after the fact and it is still being discussed.

Having a weak software library doesn't help things either.

That is my main reason for not buying it now. Later on, when they fix that problem, I will probably reconsider.

I Love my WiiU it is a fantastic console the build quality is outstanding and it runs very cool very very cool no overheating red rings or yellow lights to worry about.

and like ever nintendo console in earth history it gets better with time .

i would not trade it for the world

That is my main reason for not buying it now. Later on, when they fix that problem, I will probably reconsider.

wiiU is on what month #2 or 3 lol

3 months alive there will be so many games on the way

I Love my WiiU it is a fantastic console the build quality is outstanding and it runs very cool very very cool no overheating red rings or yellow lights to worry about.

and like ever nintendo console in earth history it gets better with time .

i would not trade it for the world

wiiU is on what month #2 or 3 lol

3 months alive there will be so many games on the way

Think it might be a little early to say it has no build quality issues. RROD and YLOD issues took some time to come to the attention of gamers, so could be the WiiU has the same kind of issue and we do not know about it yet. I hope not, but cannot say for sure yet that is not the case.

I can say it is easily the quietest console out there. The only time I hear it is when a disk is in it.

I have personally been playing it more than the 360 or PS3 thanks to the GamePad.

Think it might be a little early to say it has no build quality issues. RROD and YLOD issues took some time to come to the attention of gamers, so could be the WiiU has the same kind of issue and we do not know about it yet. I hope not, but cannot say for sure yet that is not the case.

I can say it is easily the quietest console out there. The only time I hear it is when a disk is in it.

I have personally been playing it more than the 360 or PS3 thanks to the GamePad.

both the 360 and the ps3 issues were because of HEAT major heat

the wiiU runs under full load just above room temp its safe to say Nintendo did its homework

both the 360 and the ps3 issues were because of HEAT major heat

the wiiU runs under full load just above room temp its safe to say Nintendo did its homework

Wrong, the 360 issue was because of heat cycles, hot,cold,hot,cold.... and so on, under the heat it was designed to handle. the heat itself wasn't a problem, it was deformations cause by the heat cycles. the WiiU could have similar issues, doesn't even have to be heat related.

the bigger problem with the WiiU is that to play MP with my GF, I don't only need two wii motes in addition to my tablet, I need two pro controllers, and for some games I even need two classic controllers. so far the only developer to support ALL controllers in their game, is EA with Fifa. of course neither of us are soccer people so...

People now want to use the "because xbox 360 is half price" excuse? Oh the irony. You guys don't remember what you were saying to the xbox and ps3 fans when the wii was half the price of the xbox360/ps3? Sorry that **** doesn't fly.

Wrong, the 360 issue was because of heat cycles, hot,cold,hot,cold.... and so on, under the heat it was designed to handle. the heat itself wasn't a problem, it was deformations cause by the heat cycles. the WiiU could have similar issues, doesn't even have to be heat related.

the bigger problem with the WiiU is that to play MP with my GF, I don't only need two wii motes in addition to my tablet, I need two pro controllers, and for some games I even need two classic controllers. so far the only developer to support ALL controllers in their game, is EA with Fifa. of course neither of us are soccer people so...

and the reason Microsoft had like over 20 revisions of heatsinks and cooling heatpipes and then then gpu /cpu shrinks just because .. don't think so the system ran way to hot and melted the system .

I had 4 of them all 4 melted from the inside all red ringed.

the new slim has got correct cooling now with direct fan on the heatsink .

no matter what the cause it was heat if it did not heat up and had correct cooling like the wiiU and every Nintendo console in history it would never have been an issue

and the reason Microsoft had like over 20 revisions of heatsinks and cooling heatpipes and then then gpu /cpu shrinks just because .. don't think so the system ran way to hot and melted the system .

I had 4 of them all 4 melted from the inside all red ringed.

the new slim has got correct cooling now with direct fan on the heatsink .

no matter what the cause it was heat if it did not heat up and had correct cooling like the wiiU and every Nintendo console in history it would never have been an issue

Wasn't even near to close to that many revisions, and no, it wasn't the heat, the heat is the same today, well on the non slims, but the redesigned heaters that don't flex and boards that don't flex from the heat prevent the failures of the originals.

You need to understand the root cause of the 360 issue. it was a combination of multiple factors, yes heat was a factor, but wouldn't have mattered if not for the others. the method for soldering with the pellets for example was one factor, the flex was another, those two in combination, along with repeated heat cool cycles, caused the ultimate failure after time.

It's irrelevant anyway, the WiiU is a new device, some of these faults take a year to show up in a quantifiable numbers, the Wii could have any number of late in life failure causes that is unknown at this time. the risk is of course reduced significantly by the fact it uses fairly old hardware in general.