fb monetisation

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

• 822 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 14:47

You guys do realise web sites like facebook can be useful right ?

One of my best friend is now living in France. Another of my best friend is now living in BC, Canada. I have a lot of family living in USA. Facebook and skype is a great way to keep in touch with everyone without spending money on long distance calls. It's a great tool with a terrible UI.

While I agree with Skype is great way to see people while your talking to them. Great way to reassure parents when their kids are on the other side of the country how they are doing, eating etc.
Meanwhile just catching up with friends, email has been around for many years and works perfectly well. I can't see why using FB to keep in touch offers anything different. Plus there are plenty of IM clients out there that offer more if that's your thing too.

#17 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 14:52

Old news: http://www.neowin.ne...sage-apparently

#18 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,051 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:00

One of my best friend is now living in France. Another of my best friend is now living in BC, Canada. I have a lot of family living in USA. Facebook and skype is a great way to keep in touch with everyone without spending money on long distance calls. It's a great tool with a terrible UI.

just email...

Skype is neat if you want to see the person. I use it to talk to my sister.

#19 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:23

While I agree with Skype is great way to see people while your talking to them. Great way to reassure parents when their kids are on the other side of the country how they are doing, eating etc.
Meanwhile just catching up with friends, email has been around for many years and works perfectly well. I can't see why using FB to keep in touch offers anything different. Plus there are plenty of IM clients out there that offer more if that's your thing too.

Well it let people share important events in their life without the need to bother everyone everytime.

I have a big family. 26 uncles/aunts. About 100 cousins. Couple of friends. They are all scattered over north america. NY, Quebec, Ontario, BC, Florida, California, Vermont and France.

It's just not realistic to contact everyone everytime you have something to share. Even by mail it requires to send more than 100 mails everytime and bother people with things that might not interest them.

This year i left my job and accepted a new one. Sending over 100 mails just to tell that fells 1990 to me. It's more simple to post the information on my facebook so people who cares can see it.

#20 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,658 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:34

Some people say the stupidest things.
I didn't even think people really used email anymore, other than getting subscribed stuff and notifications.
Email isn't even close to being something good for socializing or keeping up with family/friends.
Way too slow, plus the chance of the person reading it is slim to none, more than likely not right away, that's for sure.
I'm not even a fan of Facebook, but like I've said before, if that's where your friends and family are, then you have to be also.
And as for the topic here, if Marc wants to charge 100 bucks, good for him. I would, then at least he wont get a ton of em.
And Facebook should charge something for people that are not a contact to send you a message.

#21 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

• 4,161 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:49

They've really turned desperate.

#22 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:58

Doesn't mean Facebook can't be replaced with alternatives or even services predating Facebook.

Instant Messaging and emailing come to mind.

Heck, even a blog for sharing your holiday pictures to friends and family without sending dozens of emails.
Way more personal, too.

I do use Facebook, but I think it's mostly a "hey look at my cool life" billboard rather than a proper communication tool.

I like the theory of the service, but hmm...

Very related video:

Glassed Silver:ios

#23 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,918 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:03

I will totally admit, until I read this, I never knew about the Other inbox myself. :laugh: Not a big Facebooker myself, been using it more as a result of finding it really helpful during Hurricane Sandy, to keep track of friends and family and get updates on power, etc., but I really did not know about the Other box until reading this article.
I had 21 messages, and I have to say, they were not messages I really care either way that i read or not. So it does a decent job with the filtering.
As far as charging $100 to send a message, really hope this is some sort of joke.

#24 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,974 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:22

Imagine paying $100 asking him something and he replies "Yes".

#25 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,366 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:22

Lovely, mark's taking a page out of UK politician's books!
'£10,000 for lunch and to 'suggest' a new law, yes, I shall copy that!'

#26 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:25

I have FB blocked.

#27 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• 2,120 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:35

anyone else not use Facebook? :)

me, 6 months free of the invasive progression and facebook-itis. Not to mention the added bonus of spying snooping "friends" best thing I ever did! :p

#28 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,958 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:44

i wish i could charge people to send me messages :p

*still would not make much*

#29 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:46

In relative terms, if you need to have a letter/document/parcel sent quickly to someone on the other side of the planet, then I'd say a hundred dollars is about an average price DHL or Fedex would charge you; it's certainly not extreme.

I, personally, wouldn't pay $100 for a one-way e-mail. However, if the price entailed a reply, then I'd be ready to pay even more for such an option. To ask some guru a question, why not? Warren Baffett charges like half a million for a chance to have a lunch with him.

Really? And how do you know the reply you are getting is from Mark Zuckerberg himself and not from some personal assistant of his? :no:

#30 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,161 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:36

Totally agree. It annoys me how antisocial or anti-social networking people seem to be pushing for it to fall. If you don't like it, DON'T USE IT. I cannot stand these people that don't want others to enjoy something because they don't like it. It'd be like me wishing for the sci-fi genre to die away simply because I don't like it.

I don't say this as a "fan" of Facebook either, but rather out of the love I have for many of the people I've met, kept up with, and especially two of my friends who are very very close to me, of which would have never happened without social networking. 2012 was a difficult year for me. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been without them...

Also, it's rather trivial how many emails people have, along with phone numbers that we could be expected to keep up with all that so easily. As if I'm gonna remember who dark_drag0n21@blah.com is, or that you don't think they might actually change that somewhere down the line when they realize they'll be handing out resumes or applying for jobs. Or that people reliably read email as often simply due to the nature of spam.

Kind of a vicious circle, is it not? :huh:

And yes, there are other messaging apps out there too, but how many people have run across friends that stopped getting on those messengers? That's kind of why I stopped using AIM a long time ago, then WLM... now Skype is the new hot thing, but it was just off the front page news today that we were talking about the bloat related to Skype. No one is saying "use Facebook", nor did LaP suggest they needed to use it as he said,"You guys do realise web sites like facebook can be useful right ?"

---

Anyway, as for the subject at hand, I find all this rather stupid. If someone wants to spend that much to message me, let them. If I didn't want to talk to them, at least I'm getting the enjoyment of knowing that they wasted $100 or whatever amount of money Facebook ends up settling on. Let them fund the site I utilize, I don't have to read their garbage.

Though it is funny, the thought of messaging Zuckerberg. The biggest joke is thinking he'll actually read it. (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at least, as he may respond just to promote it)