san rafael corporate power hefty fine

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:52

Corporations aren't human beings, yet they're treated as such by the supreme court.
Your logic is flawed.

And you logic is incomplete. You, and everyone that is 100% against corporations having personhood status in court ignore the fact of what a corporation is. A corporation is a group of people. Hence, a corporation has the same collective rights as those people. The moment that the government started taxing corporations and not just the workers in those corporations, the government gave corporations personhood as well as a voice in government. If you want to argue that a corporation is not a person, stop charging it taxes as if it is a citizen of the country.

#17 jwjw1

jwjw1

Neowinian

• 4,435 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:54

put the idiot in jail....bubba will ride him...er!...I mean ride with him... :laugh:

#18 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,278 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:19

And you logic is incomplete. You, and everyone that is 100% against corporations having personhood status in court ignore the fact of what a corporation is. A corporation is a group of people. Hence, a corporation has the same collective rights as those people. The moment that the government started taxing corporations and not just the workers in those corporations, the government gave corporations personhood as well as a voice in government. If you want to argue that a corporation is not a person, stop charging it taxes as if it is a citizen of the country.

This is possibly the most unintelligent post I've ever read on Neowin. Oh dear god...

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:23

The technical term for this guy is "idiot."

Ha, I hear ya. Even calling him an idiot is being kind to him.

#20 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:41

They should just change the law to say "homosapien"

Way too many of those in San Fran alone...and the rest of Cali.<face palm>

#21 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:56

This is possibly the most unintelligent post I've ever read on Neowin. Oh dear god...

PLEASE...do elaborate...

#22 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:13

I drive in the carpool lane with a baby raptor and the cops are totally cool with it.... they even pet his head and he purred.

#23 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,329 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:17

If this guy wins his case, that is because of the US courts, which since the 19th century keeps granting more rights to corporations than necessary, and blurring the line between a natural person (like you and me), and a legal person or entity (I prefer the term entity, like any business or non-profit corporations). Corporate personhood is very particular in the USA compared to the rest of the world.

We can call this man many things, but he sure knows how to use the laws in his favour.

#24 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,241 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:52

If you want to argue that a corporation is not a person, stop charging it taxes as if it is a citizen of the country.

Corporations can't vote. Corporations can't serve on jury duty or in the military - which are required of citizens. Would you like to change that?

I can't wait to see Microsoft, Google, and Apple serving jury duty on a murder trial.

And no, they aren't charging it taxes as if it was a citizen of the country. If that were the case, corporations would pay the individual income tax rates.

#25 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:54

I totally support this guy after having been in situations when you're are stuck in traffic while delivering some corporate papers that you have prepared and have to submit to some government agency asap or else you are fired!

#26 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,456 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:11

He was completely right though. Corporations are a private legal entity made up several people all of whom have individual human rights. They are simply extending the same human rights to the collective. If it makes you feel any better did you know that the government also believes that all individual people are their own corporations ? It's true. Banks, public and private, buy and sell and trade shares in your birth certificate. The fact is, your government gets loans from banks by placing your birth certificate up for collateral.

#27 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,291 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 15:37

During the time I lived I lived in CA it seems like no one followed the law id see cars driving in them with no passengers all the time.

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:43

I drive in the carpool lane with a baby raptor and the cops are totally cool with it.... they even pet his head and he purred.

I've got to see a picture of that. :D

#29 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,685 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:49

Posted Image