Photo

old win98 compaq laptop help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 togermano

togermano

hot top for the bottoms

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:51

I have an old windows 98 compaq laptop I lost the restore cd so i installed windows 98 using the cd I had of it and unfort the compaq drivers check to see if its a windows 98 that came from compaq. THere must be some kind of reg hack to make the drivers think I am using the windows 98 version from compaq...

#2 Aasum

Aasum

Neowinian

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:05

What is the model?

#3 OP togermano

togermano

hot top for the bottoms

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:36

What is the model?

1600-XL145

#4 Head of Tech Geek and More

Head of Tech Geek and More

Head Geek of Tech Geek and More

Posted 11 January 2013 - 16:55

You should be able to visit http://h10025.www1.h...&product=95193 and then select let HP find my drivers (toward the top right). If your internet is down because your missing the NIC driver, I suggest finding someone with a USB wifi card or USB ethernet and loading those drivers to get you internet access.

Hope that helps

#5 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:00

1600-XL145

Did you download the drivers for Windows 95? http://h10025.www1.h...duct=95193#N261

On older machines, drivers extract to a folder rather than install, and require you to navigate to that location and click install. Install the drivers again, write down where they installed, go to that folder, and click the exe in that folder.

#6 OP togermano

togermano

hot top for the bottoms

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:53

You guys dont understand..... I have the right drivers its just that the windows 98 cd that ships with compaq computers were slightly modified maybe inf files or cab files so that it knew it came from compaq and these drivers unfort check that :(

#7 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:58

Well, Windows 98 is no longer supported by any computer brands anymore not to mention Microsoft as Windows 98 has been around for a while and most people don't use it anymore. So, I think it may be time to upgrade to a better laptop that has Windows 7 on it or something. As Windows 7 is supported until 2017, if you were to have any issues from now until 2017, they would be able to get fixed as Computer manufacturers usually push out BIOS updates on a regular basis and all the other drivers will be updated as well. If this helps, let me know. Thanks!

P.S, if you stick with your regular computer, it will be hard to find answers as like i said above, Windows 98 is no longer supported. Is the Windows 98 computer your regular PC?

#8 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:02

whats the error it shows?

#9 OP togermano

togermano

hot top for the bottoms

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:02

I built a nice i5 z77 computer this laptop is just for running old games.....

whats the error it shows?

not a compaq mobile platform computer verification failed

#10 mduren2445

mduren2445

Neowinian

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:10

try this

http://www.restoredi...aq Laptops.html

#11 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:13

Well, Windows 98 is no longer supported by any computer brands anymore not to mention Microsoft as Windows 98 has been around for a while and most people don't use it anymore. So, I think it may be time to upgrade to a better laptop that has Windows 7 on it or something. As Windows 7 is supported until 2017, if you were to have any issues from now until 2017, they would be able to get fixed as Computer manufacturers usually push out BIOS updates on a regular basis and all the other drivers will be updated as well. If this helps, let me know. Thanks!

P.S, if you stick with your regular computer, it will be hard to find answers as like i said above, Windows 98 is no longer supported. Is the Windows 98 computer your regular PC?

we all cant just buy new stuff because something gets old, he asked for help fixing his problem "buy a new one" is not help in fixing a problem

#12 Kamran Mackey

Kamran Mackey

Apple Fanatic

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:20

Oh, well sorry...

#13 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 January 2013 - 17:07

Can you not extract the installers with a decent archiving utility like 7zip or Winrar and just manually install drivers?

#14 alphamale

alphamale

Neowinian

Posted 12 January 2013 - 17:39

you really will have to work at finding some solution that works. compaq made it hard, they felt special. one shortcut maybe to install some form of linux. i do not use it so i can not guide you. i mention this because people have trashed most of the old driver/restore cds. i did last year. they gave a total restore solution in their restore disks. on some of the machines the bios was on a partition on the hard drive. very convoluted. i feel your frustration

#15 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 January 2013 - 17:45

So the issue is the install media your using not the laptop........so get one elsewhere theres sure to be some still available

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!