Photo

old win98 compaq laptop help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 thechronic

thechronic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 17:48

Someone may well want to lynch me for this but have you tried Windows 2000 or as a last resort, ME?

The error message suggests you are using the wrong drivers. I don't think that is the case however as someone else had a similar issue using those drivers so try and locate them elsewhere, looking for the specific drivers for each hardware from whatever location has it.

#17 Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 12 January 2013 - 17:59

I know what your problem is. There is a simple fix, but finding what you need may no longer be so easy. You are trying to re-install windows 98 using a non-OEM win 98 disc. If you try to install windows 98 using your OEM key it will tell you it is invalid. So, you have a couple of choices if you want to stay with win98. The answer I believe that is best for you, is get your hands on a win98 OEM disc. The next option, would be get your hands on an unused Win98 full retail version key. Of course, as others have stated, if those seem impossible you can either go for a newer version of windows, or do the Linux thing. I think I have an OEM win98 disc floating around here somewhere, but it won't really help you since, well, you don't have it.

#18 mduren2445

mduren2445

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:31

ummm....just buy the restore disks from the link i mentioned before and your problem is solved

#19 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:46

Well, Windows 98 is no longer supported by any computer brands anymore not to mention Microsoft as Windows 98 has been around for a while and most people don't use it anymore. So, I think it may be time to upgrade to a better laptop that has Windows 7 on it or something. As Windows 7 is supported until 2017, if you were to have any issues from now until 2017, they would be able to get fixed as Computer manufacturers usually push out BIOS updates on a regular basis and all the other drivers will be updated as well. If this helps, let me know. Thanks!

P.S, if you stick with your regular computer, it will be hard to find answers as like i said above, Windows 98 is no longer supported. Is the Windows 98 computer your regular PC?

Since when do BIOS updates get pushed out on a REGULAR basis? I've NEVER seen more than one Bios update for ANY computer. Computers age so fast, companys never mess with updating them more than once, as a general rule.

ummm....just buy the restore disks from the link i mentioned before and your problem is solved

Usually pretty cheap to buy those restore discs also.

#20 Jlobb2

Jlobb2

Neowinian

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:06

Since when do BIOS updates get pushed out on a REGULAR basis? I've NEVER seen more than one Bios update for ANY computer. Computers age so fast, companys never mess with updating them more than once, as a general rule.

My Dell D630 had several BIOS updates during its lifespan, as well as a few for my Dell Optiplex 755. I think you would be hard pressed to show a particular model that has only one BIOS update in it's lifetime. I've even seen multiple BIOS updates for an e-machine I had the pleasure of repairing once.

#21 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 13 January 2013 - 17:01

yes and no, definitely true with OEM boards though