Photo

Automated Robocall That You Can't Hang Up?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Master of Everything

• 1,248 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:32

Just received this odd robocall, likely some medicare/medicaid insurance fraud/scam. When I heard a pre-recorded voice play I decided to hang up or at least thought I could hang up as I was getting ready to call my parents. Despite trying to hang up I couldn't and the pre-recorded message continued to play all the way until a live person answered and then the call ended. I am wondering what the heck is this crap that I can't even hang up. Number is on the dnc registry as well but does crap to stop robo calls from illicit parties out to scam people that conduct their shady "business" out of the country.

#2 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:29

dnc never works. it actually made me get more calls.

#3 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:31

afaik if you call someone and they hang up but you do not, when they lift up the receiver again you will still be connected

#4 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,838 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:41

Land line ? Pull out the wall plug.

Cell phone ? Take out the battery, I guess.

#5 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:44

afaik if you call someone and they hang up but you do not, when they lift up the receiver again you will still be connected

I've never heard of it working like that back when they had to manually connect each call maybe but not today.

#6 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:53

I've never heard of it working like that back when they had to manually connect each call maybe but not today.

Its worked like that for years in the UK

In fact not that long ago there was a scam where the scammers would call house lines and claim to be debt recovery department of BT, they were telling the customer that they owed £X amount to BT and if they didn't pay via card over the phone to them right there and then, that they would cut them off

They continued by saying if you need proof, hang up, wait 5 seconds, then try to make a call, you will be disconnected

So some people were hanging up, then lifting the receiver and hearing no dial tone, hanging up again and waiting for the scammers to call back

All they were doing was hitting 'Mute' when they heard the customer hang up, the customer obviously can't make a call as they are still connected to the scammer, and they can't hear the scammers end of the call because they have it muted

So some people waited for the call back and gave their card details to some guys in a flat scamming thousands of people out of their money

Try it, call someone, tell them to hang up and then pick back up, you`ll still be connected (Only works on landlines)

I used it about 15 years ago to seek revenge on a cheating girlfriend, she had given me her charge card number so I could call her house free, when I found out she cheated I walked to a pay phone in the middle of nowhere, called her with that card number then left the phone on top of the box

#7 Azusa

Azusa

Neowinian Senior

• 10,000 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:01

Its worked like that for years in the UK

In fact not that long ago there was a scam where the scammers would call house lines and claim to be debt recovery department of BT, they were telling the customer that they owed £X amount to BT and if they didn't pay via card over the phone to them right there and then, that they would cut them off

They continued by saying if you need proof, hang up, wait 5 seconds, then try to make a call, you will be disconnected

So some people were hanging up, then lifting the receiver and hearing no dial tone, hanging up again and waiting for the scammers to call back

All they were doing was hitting 'Mute' when they heard the customer hang up, the customer obviously can't make a call as they are still connected to the scammer, and they can't hear the scammers end of the call because they have it muted

So some people waited for the call back and gave their card details to some guys in a flat scamming thousands of people out of their money

Try it, call someone, tell them to hang up and then pick back up, you`ll still be connected (Only works on landlines)

I used it about 15 years ago to seek revenge on a cheating girlfriend, she had given me her charge card number so I could call her house free, when I found out she cheated I walked to a pay phone in the middle of nowhere, called her with that card number then left the phone on top of the box

Ok 15 years ago maybe cause the system was pretty old and broken then but im sure those scammmers could have been using something to keep the connection alive.

#8 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:18

Ok 15 years ago maybe cause the system was pretty old and broken then but im sure those scammmers could have been using something to keep the connection alive.

No, the scam was recently, just try it instead of not believing.

The only person who can disconnect the call, is the caller

#9 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,838 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:45

^ Er, I disconnect when I hit End on my cell phone, and also if I use a wireless home phone. :huh:

#10 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:48

^ Er, I disconnect when I hit End on my cell phone, and also if I use a wireless home phone. :huh:

Landline to Landline only ^^

And no idea about the US, I'm in the UK

EDIT -
http://forums.digita...037&postcount=6

and
http://forums.digita...96&postcount=10

and
http://forums.digita...25&postcount=13

and
http://forums.digita...54&postcount=21

Looks like you can press "R" on the phone and it will clear the call if the other person won't hang up
http://forums.digita...26&postcount=17

#11 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,838 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 14:42

^ R for retard ... ? :p

#12 OP Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Master of Everything

• 1,248 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 23:39

The question is how is this able to be done? When I hang up I expect that the call is ended regardless of whether or not I was the one who called. This is the first I've experienced something like this and it's quite annoying,

#13 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• 5,041 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 23:45

Doesn't work like that in Belgium, when you hang up the connection is gone on both ends

#14 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,838 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 00:01

The question is how is this able to be done? When I hang up I expect that the call is ended regardless of whether or not I was the one who called. This is the first I've experienced something like this and it's quite annoying,

Maybe it was with the phone company's cooperation.

Or maybe the phone hackers can send a signal to keep the connection alive.

#15 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,038 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:17

In the US, once you hang up, the call is disconnected. Been that way for as long as I can remember.

OP: Was this on a landline or cell phone?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!