Photo

Automated Robocall That You Can't Hang Up?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,930 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:30

Only way I could see this happening which - COULD explain it.

If you had call waiting and they placed the second call just shortly after you answer the first... so when you hang up on one you actually answer the other call.

#17 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,600 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:51

Actually if you quick hang up the landline, (or quick press and release the hang up button) the call gets temporarily disconnected and you can dial out (like call waiting but I dont have it for my landline, but have noticed it works)

#18 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,676 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:17

I know where I live, the call is terminated instantly when either party hangs up. always has been that way.

#19 -Himanshu-

-Himanshu-

Everybody Lies.

• 1,676 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 5235

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:47

What I have noticed is that in my landline connection, I can't disconnect unless the other party hangs up if the other part was the one who called me. It has been irritating sometimes, someone called by mistake and don't disconnect. But on the mobile phone, no matter who called, if I end the call, it gets disconnected.

P.S. : Didn't know about pressing the R trick, will try to see if it works.

#20 OP Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Master of Everything

• 1,261 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 16:04

In the US, once you hang up, the call is disconnected. Been that way for as long as I can remember.

OP: Was this on a landline or cell phone?

Landline and I live in the USA.

#21 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,417 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M7 - Blue

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:11

Against the law to do the non-disconnecting calls:

http://www.cnn.com/2...alls/index.html
http://www.ftc.gov/b...ites/robocalls/

While the article doesn't specifically address hanging up and they are still there, it does talk about the regulations. Not only that, but I remember (Can't find the source at the moment), that there was a law put into place that basically mandates disconnection if hung up on. This was brought to light by the need to dial an emergency number if need be and the caller wasn't allowing that to go through, then the caller would be liable. Since I can't find the source - probably something I heard, but do think some regulation is there for that purpose (would predate everyone having a cell phone on hand).

I used to have fun with robocalls - usually press the number or wait for the other person to answer (Depending on the robocall message), and play with them. Once gave a home refinance caller bogus information on some commercial property, over valued it and gave a phony name. Spent well over 30 minutes of his time feeding him the information including phony name and address. (he called my place of work). At the end of the call, he said he had to do a credit check for some refinancing figures, so after being asked for my social security number, I fed him the date in a manner that wouldn't be easily recognizable (something like 011 42 01333 which is today's date with an extra digit or two in there). Funny part was he didn't catch it and we hung up. About 10 minutes or so later, another coworker got a call looking for a man named "Rusty Boltz" (Yes I used that name), and was promptly told nobody here by that name, he rebutted saying he just spoke with them at the same number. We all knew what was going on in the office, but he really was upset that he was taken for a ride. We all got a laugh out of it and never heard from that caller or group again. Sometimes it is fun to play with the trolls. :)