sony xperia android xperia z

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:04

Well I can understand the Xperia S isn't perfect. Build quality wasn't as good as your average iPhone and the battery could be a bit weird at times, but I personally never had issues with it. I've been using mine for over 10 months now and still like it a lot.

On colour accuracy, I think that we're pretty much there. HTC and Apple are both very good, with very low Delta E (where Samsung does extremely bad with their AMOLED's). HTC and Sony do very, very well on colour temperature, reaching almost exactly 6500K. On brightness Sony is the undisputable winner, and on contrast the Nexus 4 does best, followed by Apple, HTC and Sony. Source: http://tweakers.net/...eer-scherm.html (in Dutch but should be easy enough to understand)

Battery is something I agree on, but I also think it's fine the way it is. I'm absolutely not doing anything to make sure my battery lasts longer (all syncs and connections pretty much always on and relatively heavy use) and my battery still lasts me all day, every day.

Yes! It's scheduled for delivery 28 Feb (the day after my birthday) but it might be sooner. Can expect a review here and on The Verge forums a few days after that!

I think you misunderstood what I meant by color reproduction accuracy..maybe I wasn't very clear.

I would like to see a phone with wider color gamut, including using wider color gamut in its camera DSP. Adobe RGB? ProPhoto? And correspond with a LCD display capable of 95% of the said color gamut.

With the $349 I paid for Nexus 4, and almost $600 I paid for Xperia S, I will never buy a Sony again. Not to mention the yellow spots, updates, and battery life problems of the first batch.

Looks good, but not 'pure' Android, like some of the Nexus devices. You'd have to root and ROM to get the most out of this phone. It's too early in the year to tell if this will be 'the' superphone, after all it's only January. There are events like MWC, and Google IO, so I'll wait till other manufacturers announce phones. I have an upgrade eligible in October, but I wouldn't be able to keep my unlimited data plan with Verizon if I did that. I'd have to buy the phone outright anyways, so I'll probably wait till later in the year.

Sony's skin is THE best 3rd party skin. Very pleasant to use and tastefully designed.

#17 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:08

Looks good, but not 'pure' Android, like some of the Nexus devices. You'd have to root and ROM to get the most out of this phone.

I'm not so sure. This one comes with 4.1.2, and 4.2 hardly adds anything. Miracast was in Sony's smartphones before Google even announced 4.2, gesture keyboard has been in Sony's since 2011 and multi-user support is irrelevant on smartphones. The only 'new' things you'd miss out on are lockscreen widgets and daydream, two things that in my opinion aren't worth sacrificing Sony's media applications and camera app. And personally I think Sony's skin looks a lot better than a clean Android. A lot more elegant, refined and neutral. Not everything has to be cyan Google :p

But even if you want to root your phone or put a new ROM on it, it's quite easy. Sony is very open to devs and is fast with releasing as much source code as possible. They allow you to unlock the bootloader and once you do that installing a new ROM is done in a few minutes. Sony's are possibly the simplest phones to install ROM's on there are.

#18 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:17

I think you misunderstood what I meant by color reproduction accuracy..maybe I wasn't very clear.

I would like to see a phone with wider color gamut, including using wider color gamut in its camera DSP. Adobe RGB? ProPhoto? And correspond with a LCD display capable of 95% of the said color gamut.

With the $349 I paid for Nexus 4, and almost $600 I paid for Xperia S, I will never buy a Sony again. Not to mention the yellow spots, updates, and battery life problems of the first batch.

Okay, a wider colour gamut would be nice. I'm not sure what one it is exactly, but Sony lists a wide colour gamut as a feature for the Xperia Z and ZL (and they've never done that before). Reviewers have said that the colour range is amazing. I'll try to compare it with my monitor (full sRGB and almost full AdobeRGB), but since I don't have any equipment I'll have to do it by eye.

#19 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:51

I'm not so sure. This one comes with 4.1.2, and 4.2 hardly adds anything. Miracast was in Sony's smartphones before Google even announced 4.2, gesture keyboard has been in Sony's since 2011 and multi-user support is irrelevant on smartphones. The only 'new' things you'd miss out on are lockscreen widgets and daydream, two things that in my opinion aren't worth sacrificing Sony's media applications and camera app. And personally I think Sony's skin looks a lot better than a clean Android. A lot more elegant, refined and neutral. Not everything has to be cyan Google :p

But even if you want to root your phone or put a new ROM on it, it's quite easy. Sony is very open to devs and is fast with releasing as much source code as possible. They allow you to unlock the bootloader and once you do that installing a new ROM is done in a few minutes. Sony's are possibly the simplest phones to install ROM's on there are.

It's not just about Android 4.2. It's about future updates - at least with a nexus device, you will get updates from Google, and quick. Also, the dev. community at XDA and other sites will be tremendous. You can easily mod your phone to whatever you want it to look like. Subjective, but after you use a Nexus phone, there really is no going back to a manufacturer skin. If I had to get a non-Nexus phone, I'd have to make sure the dev. community behind it is big (plenty of custom and AOSP ROM's) :) I'm not bashing on this device - we just need to wait and see what other devices are announced.

You don't have to tell me about installing ROM's, unlocking bootloader, etc. It's easy enough to look it up, and to just do it.

#20 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:19

No. After Xperia S, No more Sony.

Besides the LCD resolution, I failed to see which part of this phone is better than Nexus 4.

And frankly why do we need 5 inches screen? Why do we need 1080P in a 5 incher?

Im looking for a 5"+ display for work. Im currently looking at the Note2 but I might hold off and wait for this cause Im still not 100% sure I want something that large. Id like to see a size comparison of the two.

#21 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:35

It's a brilliant looking phone. I love it. Unfortunately, I've moved to WP8 for a bit, so won't be getting one.

Look forward to seeing some reviews.

#22 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:38

Im looking for a 5"+ display for work. Im currently looking at the Note2 but I might hold off and wait for this cause Im still not 100% sure I want something that large. Id like to see a size comparison of the two.

The Z is the same physical size as the Galaxy S3 (even though it has a 5" display), so you can compare the S3 and Note2 to see what it's like.
Since you're in the US the ZL might be more interesting. It is actually physically smaller than the Galaxy S3 but still packs the 5" display (tiny bezels)!

Xperia Z vs Galaxy Note 2:

#23 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:01

Ya I was just going over the specs of all 4, S3-Note2-Z/ZL. I want a large display to work, trade off of but the Note 2 S-pen offers a great fine pointer option that no other high end phone Iv seen offers. Other stylus pens have that fat end piece that doesn't give me the small detail I need when I want to place orders into my trading program. That's why Iv been looking at the note 2. If I can find a fine point stylus pen that would work with the sony, I might hold off for that.

#24 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:02

Ya I was just going over the specs of all 4, S3-Note2-Z/ZL. I want a large display to work, trade off of but the Note 2 S-pen offers a great fine pointer option that no other high end phone Iv seen offers. Other stylus pens have that fat end piece that doesn't give me the small detail I need when I want to place orders into my trading program. That's why Iv been looking at the note 2. If I can find a fine point stylus pen that would work with the sony, I might hold off for that.

The Sony doesn't have a digitizer for a stylus so you'll never be able to use anything other than those typical big-pointed (and pretty crappy) capacitive styluses. Note 2 is probably the phone for you if you need that.

#25 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:07

The Sony doesn't have a digitizer for a stylus so you'll never be able to use anything other than those typical big-pointed (and pretty crappy) capacitive styluses. Note 2 is probably the phone for you if you need that.

Posted Image

#26 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:10

Well there are almost no phones that do have a proper digitizer on board, the Note 1 and 2 are the only ones I know about. It's not really a much-requested feature.

#27 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 15:53

Yes for you a 5 inch + display is what you are looking for because you plan to use it with a stylus. For most of people who uses the phone with one hand most of the time, 5+ is too big.

#28 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 12 January 2013 - 17:46

Bought Sola 4 months ago as my first Smartphone, to play with android
Sony is famous to be kind enough to get updates to its phones.Sony respects users
I will definitely buy a Z if I have enough money.I was planning to buy S IV.

#29 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:48

Bought Sola 4 months ago as my first Smartphone, to play with android
Sony is famous to be kind enough to get updates to its phones.Sony respects users
I will definitely buy a Z if I have enough money.I was planning to buy S IV.

The ironic thing for Sola is, it should've launched with ICS, instead of GB.

After what I heard Sony lied with the Xperia S, I'll never buy again.

#30 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 January 2013 - 13:27

After what I heard Sony lied with the Xperia S, I'll never buy again.

How did Sony lie with the Xperia S?