Photo

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 January 2013 - 16:57

You'll be happy to know that at the moment i'm working my way back around to Android. Last night I was downloading some applications to my fascinate to see if any one them did location reminders using my voice. I'm surprised how none of them did.There was one application that was really nice but didn't support location reminders yet. iOS as been supporting it for quite a while, I'm surprised, still there is nothing on the android side, that lets you use your voice.

#17 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:55

So for the last month i've been using my Samsung Fasinate. Which is great. It's been working well. But it only has 512 megs of ram. Verzion does not let LTE phones activate on the prepaid network. Are there any non LTE phones with 1GB of ram?

#18 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:59

So for the last month i've been using my Samsung Fasinate. Which is great. It's been working well. But it only has 512 megs of ram. Verzion does not let LTE phones activate on the prepaid network. Are there any non LTE phones with 1GB of ram?

Nexus 4

#19 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:00

Nexus 4

I've been researching that. That doesnt work on verizon does it?

#20 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:13

Nexus 4

Just an fyi on the nexus 4: http://bgr.com/2013/...d-4-2-2-327289/

#21 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:16

I'm not sure, I don't live in the US so I don't know anything about the carriers! :p

#22 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:29

I haven't used Siri, but IMO I would say that Google Voice Search is superior to Siri,.

is this possible without actually using siri?

#23 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:36

iPhone - If you use Apple's iTunes and their other devices, this would be a better choice. Their polished product is great for the bog-standard end user.
Android - If you like to tweak, customize and pirate apps you really want that aren't worth paying for.

I use Android, but desperately want to move to Windows Phone 8. Unfortunately, due to the mess the Lumia 920 availability is, then I am yet to make the change.

#24 Lunfai

Lunfai

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5 - iOS 6

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:43

I've used Android in the past and the support HTC gave me was REALLY crap. I moved on to an iPhone 4 and then recently upgraded to the 5. (Had the 4S for a month but decided it wasn't really a huge jump anyway, so gifted it to my mom). Our entire family uses iPhones now, so we love iMessage to send photos and texts to each other for free. My parents already use iMessage as it's integrated within the Messages app, and I tried getting them to use Whatsapp too, but they prefer the bog-standard.

Overall, I might give Android a try again, but I'm really happy with iOS. I'm happy with what I have, and I find no reason to change. I don't need fancy customisation or tweaks but it would be nice, so maybe it's worth a look in the future.

Definitely go for iOS if you have a Mac too, the Messages for OS X application is really useful and you don't need to switch devices to reply to iMessages. Small feature for some, but this is a huge bonus for me. (*cough* I'm lazy *cough*).

Try an Android phone and if you don't like it, you can return it under the (28 day) contract period (in the UK), if you don't like it. Trade it in for a WP8 phone or iPhone.

I'm such an Apple fanboy now, but I guess it's my money. I know there might be better things out there, but I really don't see the need for me to switch platforms and repurchase all those applications again on Play or Marketplace.

#25 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:58

No, there is no CDMA version. Regardless of LTE works or was blocked in the new update. It didn't work on Verizon before and it won't work on Verizon after.

As far as Verizon pre-paid and LTE, as far as I understand, you can activate any phone you want, but it's only going to work on 3G. I'd assume they won't even give you the SIM needed for LTE. That said, Verizon 3G is INCREDIBLY slow. If you're doing prepaid, is there a reason you need to stick to Verizon? There's a reason why they are the only carrier I've never used. Unless Verizon is the only one that services your area well, I'd look elsewhere. Then again, with prepaid, I don't think you're going to see TOO much better. For example, Straight Talk doesn't offer LTE either I don't think, but if you can at least get GSM Straight Talk, I believe they support HSPA+ which, on AT&T's network is damn near as fast as Verizon's LTE (at least what I see it run at around here).

As far as the phones, I think Android is superior to iPhone, but I understand a lot of people's likes of iPhone, and it's the best for a lot of people. These threads really are pointless because it's such an opinionated question. If you have questions about certain technologies that one or the other may support or may support better than the other, by all means, ask that to get some more info. Otherwise, just go to the store and play with a few different phones and see what you like the most. You'll never get a definitive answer asking here. I will agree, though, with what most people said. Android is more of a power users' phone. iPhone is more of the simple but does it's job well type phone.

#26 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:11

think with CDMA its a band that a chip in the phone has to support which is why most phone manufacturers release phones differing in numbers like say lumia 822. iphone prolly has same problem except they dont release different version number for it or it carrries everything required. Personally i hate apple, not cus of their products but cus of there business practices, make someat sue the competition. thats all there game plan seems to me.

spose iphone is a good bit of hardware (crap in respects to the stuff in it on each revision cus i think they hold stuff back cus theyve got nothing else in the works) but it works lots of ppl like it, lots of apps. Android is a bag of mixed reviews, i like the sgs 3 but id prefer wp myself. Guess i just hate conforming to the norm hahaha. wp is good just starting to jog atm i think, wont be long before its sprinting. Upto you, personal preference

#27 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:18

If you want a very original phone why not a XT890 RAZRi from motorola? they have a very nice x86 processor (up to 2GHz) that works wonders.

#28 +AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 February 2013 - 22:50

think with CDMA its a band that a chip in the phone has to support which is why most phone manufacturers release phones differing in numbers like say lumia 822. iphone prolly has same problem except they dont release different version number for it or it carrries everything required. Personally i hate apple, not cus of their products but cus of there business practices, make someat sue the competition. thats all there game plan seems to me.

spose iphone is a good bit of hardware (crap in respects to the stuff in it on each revision cus i think they hold stuff back cus theyve got nothing else in the works) but it works lots of ppl like it, lots of apps. Android is a bag of mixed reviews, i like the sgs 3 but id prefer wp myself. Guess i just hate conforming to the norm hahaha. wp is good just starting to jog atm i think, wont be long before its sprinting. Upto you, personal preference

Right. Even the iPhone has different model numbers for each different model. They just don't use that model number to identify their phones. They just say it's the Verizon iPhone 32 GB or whatever.

#29 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:40

Well I called verizon a while back and she told me I couldn't activate a LTE phone. Maybe it depends who you talk to.

#30 Exynos

Exynos

Android, Samsung & Windows expert

• OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).

Posted 15 February 2013 - 23:45

On my iPhone 5, I leave Bluetooth, 3G, Wi-Fi, Push and Location Services switched on all the time, as well as an app that utilises background location services

And i though that iOS users was so happy about security in iOS?

Doesn't seems like you are thinking about security when you leave all of that on all the time.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!