Photo

Best tablet for gaming around the $200 price point?

android tablet gaming nexus 7 kindle fire etc

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 SkyDX

SkyDX

Anime Computer Enthusiast^^

Posted 14 January 2013 - 13:41

Well I sadly can't say anything about the Nexus 7 but I have to say pairing a DualShock controller makes gaming on a tablet very very convenient :) And my Galaxy Tab 2 pulls this off even in CPU limited mode:

Posted Image

#32 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 14:19

I mentioned the pocket comment because it just shows you how small the device really is. I personally wouldn't pocket it either, but I definitely can fit it in my jeans. What's the point of rooting/custom ROM'ing your kindle fire? Why go through all that trouble when you can get a Nexus device for the same exact price with better specs and runs stock Android (with timely updates)? Like I said, unless you are invested in Amazon Prime, there is no advantage to having a Kindle Fire over the Nexus 7, in many ways the Kindle Fire is far inferior than the Nexus 7. Besides if you are interested in rooting/ROM's, the Nexus 7 has an excellent dev. community that whips out custom ROMs. There's a reason why the Nexus 7 gets so much praise for what it offers at that price point...

Well the reason I chose the Kindle Fire HD over the Nexus is the storage space, to me 8GB isn't enough and if you want more than you're going to have to up the money you want to spend. I'm not a techy and I really don't care about doing anything to the device, I am invested in Amazon prime, the 2 day shipping, free movies and books are at my disposal on my kindle so why should I change it? What little gaming I do on it I don't notice any lag or slow downs so it doesn't really matter what specs the Nexus has as the kindle performs nicely for me.

#33 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:00

Well the reason I chose the Kindle Fire HD over the Nexus is the storage space, to me 8GB isn't enough and if you want more than you're going to have to up the money you want to spend. I'm not a techy and I really don't care about doing anything to the device, I am invested in Amazon prime, the 2 day shipping, free movies and books are at my disposal on my kindle so why should I change it? What little gaming I do on it I don't notice any lag or slow downs so it doesn't really matter what specs the Nexus has as the kindle performs nicely for me.

They come with 16GB or 32GB at the same price points now, the 8GB version seems to have been discontinued.
https://play.google....?id=nexus_7_8gb

#34 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:54

Like Deranged said, the Google play store only sells the 16 GB ($199) or 32 GB ($249) variants. I agree, Amazon Prime service is great. I just find the Instant video service to be very lacking in titles, so I just use Netflix. There are rumors that the Instant video service is coming to all other Android tablets, as they released an iPad app. The only thing I'm missing is the Kindle lending library feature.

#35 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:41

They come with 16GB or 32GB at the same price points now, the 8GB version seems to have been discontinued.
https://play.google....?id=nexus_7_8gb

I Never thought to look on the google play store, amazon is selling it for 259. I may pick up the Nexus 7 when I get paid.

Like Deranged said, the Google play store only sells the 16 GB ($199) or 32 GB ($249) variants. I agree, Amazon Prime service is great. I just find the Instant video service to be very lacking in titles, so I just use Netflix. There are rumors that the Instant video service is coming to all other Android tablets, as they released an iPad app. The only thing I'm missing is the Kindle lending library feature.

I had Netflix but I changed to prime as its cheaper in the long run and you get more content (more than just movies).

#36 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:05

I'm curious, something I haven't heard to much about but is probably important being the Nexus 7 doesn't support memory expansion (mostly) - how much of the 16GB (which is the one I'm getting) is usable and how much is taken up by the OS itself?

#37 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:54

ever heard about razor gaming tablet to be released soon?

#38 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:01

ever heard about razor gaming tablet to be released soon?

what does it matter? it's definitely not going to be in his price range
heck, I'd be surprised if that thing will be as low as $1,500

I'm curious, something I haven't heard to much about but is probably important being the Nexus 7 doesn't support memory expansion (mostly) - how much of the 16GB (which is the one I'm getting) is usable and how much is taken up by the OS itself?

android only takes about 2 - 2.5 gigs

#39 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:39

Ah, that's not bad actually. I suppose if I go the USB OTG thingie route, I won't have to worry to much about it either way.

And yes medhunter, I've heard of the Razor tablet from CES. If that comes out at $200 or so, I'm pretty sure the internet would implode.

#40 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 15 January 2013 - 22:38

Yeah the Nexus 7 didn't use too much, but 16GB wasn't enough for me. I'm glad I sold it off and can acquire a 32 now.

I'd rather get a Windows RT box bot those don't have much of an ecosystem and seem to be geared more to business users than casual users at the moment.

#41 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 20:15

Well, got my Nexus 7 today. Got it loaded up with a few apps and games, but so far i'm just trying to get used to it. Heh. Not sure if I'm gonna root it or not yet though.

#42 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 27 January 2013 - 19:41

Nexus 7 here, cant fault it. Great wee gaming machine. Plays all my roms and anything else I can throw at it with ease.

Cant imagine life without it now tbh :)

Well, got my Nexus 7 today. Got it loaded up with a few apps and games, but so far i'm just trying to get used to it. Heh. Not sure if I'm gonna root it or not yet though.

No real need to root it yet here tbh, theres an app for using usb memory sticks etc without needing root access aswell.

i may root mine at some point when I can gain a performance boost from it, but so far it just seems so uneeded.

#43 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

Posted 27 January 2013 - 19:46

like Colicab said, you don't necessarily need to root the nexus 7, but if you do decide to at least you'll know that it's a very easy device to root :) http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

#44 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:37

Hmmm, if you can use a memory stick without rooting, I'll go that route for sure then. Also, I hate all these stupid Zynga like mobile games! Though Dead Trigger sure looks amazing considering what it's running on and all. Kinda disappointed Epic didn't bring over Infinity Blade to android now, dumb dumbs.

#45 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:27

Hmmm, if you can use a memory stick without rooting, I'll go that route for sure then. Also, I hate all these stupid Zynga like mobile games! Though Dead Trigger sure looks amazing considering what it's running on and all. Kinda disappointed Epic didn't bring over Infinity Blade to android now, dumb dumbs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is paying them a good amount for them to keep it iOS only :/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!