Photo

WP7 to WP8 MicroSD Card Issues

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 16 January 2013 - 18:58

You aren't trying to get the data on it though are you or just make it usable space on the new device. There are few devices that can reformat a protected SD card properly. For the what, $20 a new SD card costs, is it really worth the hassle? If your original device wasn't dead then you would have an easier time clearing it for the new device.

#17 OP Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 16 January 2013 - 20:41

You aren't trying to get the data on it though are you or just make it usable space on the new device. There are few devices that can reformat a protected SD card properly. For the what, $20 a new SD card costs, is it really worth the hassle? If your original device wasn't dead then you would have an easier time clearing it for the new device.

I want my pictures off it lol I don't care if whatever process there is destroys the card afterwards. I think I just have to take it as a loss

#18 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 January 2013 - 20:44

I want my pictures off it lol I don't care if whatever process there is destroys the card afterwards. I think I just have to take it as a loss

You won't be able to read any data off the card if your phone is broken.

#19 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:03

^Exactly. Your OP made it sound like you just wanted to reuse it on your new device, not extract data from encrypted storage.

So really, your post title should have been 'How do I break the encryption on WP7 removable storage'. To which the simple answer is, you can't.

OT, this is still one area that the lack of updates for WP7 really ****es me off. There was painfully little thought put into how it backs up the camera roll.

#20 OP Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 17 January 2013 - 00:01

^Exactly. Your OP made it sound like you just wanted to reuse it on your new device, not extract data from encrypted storage.

So really, your post title should have been 'How do I break the encryption on WP7 removable storage'. To which the simple answer is, you can't.

OT, this is still one area that the lack of updates for WP7 really ****es me off. There was painfully little thought put into how it backs up the camera roll.

When I made the OP I wanted to use it as storage, but then as people were posting links to msdn and stuff I realized it will only work in original phone so I changed my mind to be happy with just recovering my stuff.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!