Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

vLite & unattended Windows 7 install?

16 posts in this topic

Posted

For those who tried helping me with the Lenovo problem - i've given up & i'm going a different route as nothing suggested ever worked out, despite following it to the letter.

I've installed vLite http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-unattended-windows-7-installation-setup/ & i got to the bit where it wants me to install the WAIK.

Now this is downloading a 1.3GB file & i'm all set to go out for a few hours, so will leave this downloading. I've looked through the how-to on that link & at no point does it mention actually doing anything with the WAIK .iso. I have UltraISO which is the program i use to open them.

What good is this WAIK .iso where it doesn't get mentioned again throughout the guide?

Posted

Vlite wasn't developed specifically for win 7, and I guess the author nuhi was forced to drop support since was hired

by microsoft. In order to integrate file/recreate win 7/vista iso , vlite needs a specified file (I think a dll from waik).

It was before bundled with old version of nlite, but Microsoft was already unhappy and forced nuhi

to not distribute the required files using copyright as a pretext. Now the fact that the waik iso is 1.3gb probably helps to dissuade people to use such tools.

Posted

vLite is very deprecated; I suggest Win Toolkit for help with creating an unattended image (along with a zillion other tasks, and you don't need to download any large files). I mostly use it to integrate the hundreds of post SP1 Win 7 updates to create an updated image.

1huk4z.jpg

Posted

Posted

My bad - i didn't read the instructions. I needed to burn the 1.3GB file to dVD & then install it.

I used nLite back in the day for WinXP & wanted to do something similar for Windows 7. I remember with XP when i tweaked quite a bit, it ended up being unstable, so i didn't want to go too much into the tweaking. Just enough to speed up the install & probably a couple of tweaks.

Posted

Hmmm, something isn't right.

I just used vLite to make an unattended .iso. Started off at about 3.2GB for the beginning ISO, when finished the .iso is 7.34GB. I haven't even added anything.

One thing i found irritating is that i can't change the UI language from US English. I can do the keyboard to UK English, but not the UI language.

Posted

Hmmm, something isn't right.

I just used vLite to make an unattended .iso. Started off at about 3.2GB for the beginning ISO, when finished the .iso is 7.34GB. I haven't even added anything.

One thing i found irritating is that i can't change the UI language from US English. I can do the keyboard to UK English, but not the UI language.

Use this

http://www.rt7lite.com/

Posted

Using that now

When i start it up i get a script error message

It's just ran the iso for 5 minutes & then it tells me something about some name error. Not looking good.

Posted

Which OS are you running it from?

Maybe run in Win 7 compatibility mode if you're using 8, run as admin too

Posted

I'm running from Win7 Pro & i did run as admin.

It's currently stuck at "gathering info" & has been for the past 5 minutes or so.

Posted

The two other tools (rt7lite & vLite) mentioned in this thread are no longer being actively developed (i.e. more apt to have bugs), unlike Win Toolkit.

Here's the link to download it: (nevermind, site doesn't like linking of files, so just go here http://www.nsanedown.com/?request=132056199 and click on Download)

Homepage: http://www.wincert.n...e/5-win-toolkit

Posted

I'll try Win ToolKit in a sec if the others continue to not work.

I uninstalled RT7Lite using Revo uninstaller pro & then installed the 2.6 beta (i had installed the latest one).

I run as admin & get a blank sponsors page as well as the script error which i'll attach to this post. I'll update in a few minutes when no doubt the other error will appear. Just for the record, i clicked yes on this script error.

post-37542-0-24889800-1358094928.jpg

And sure enough, it happened again....

post-37542-0-06220400-1358095618.jpg

EDIT: Just tried Win ToolKit - i don't like it. It's not as simple/user friendly as RT 7 Lite & vLite.

Posted

EDIT: Just tried Win ToolKit - i don't like it. It's not as simple/user friendly as RT 7 Lite & vLite.

Some things in life are worth the initial learning curve, but good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish.
1 person likes this

Posted

Got it sorted in the end.

Tried vLite once again - no problem.

Posted

RE: RT Se7en Lite

rt_7_lite_win7_Vista_x64    [15.8mb]  (you can get the 64 or 32bit install)   link: http://www.rt7lite.com/downloads.html

I  have seen some who have tried to use RT7Lite and seem to stop at the

Posted

These sort of tools worry me. I'm always afraid i'm going to make an install use it on 100 machine ,then down the road it will have done something to cause an update to to install on all 100 machines. Which is why I use original Microsoft iso's