Californians deal with freezing temps, snow

SAN DIEGO (AP) ? Oddly enough, even polar bears at the San Diego Zoo are getting a helping hand with the unseasonable freezing temperatures sweeping across California.

Zookeepers turned up the heat for some animals and offered shelter to polar bears as a cold snap continues through the weekend, promising to bring the coldest overnight temperatures.

While polar bears tolerate frigid climes, the zoo animals lack the fat layers that naturally occur in the wild to fully protect them from the cold so zookeepers offer them shelter and "warming apparatuses" in case they seek it, zoo spokeswoman Jenny Mehlow said.

"The animals do take this in stride because they're wearing a nice, warm fur coat," she said.

The National Weather Service forecasted near-record low temperatures Saturday and Sunday nights.

Frost and freeze warnings were in effect early Sunday for parts of San Diego County with lows in some areas dipping to 25 and even lower in the mountains, according to the weather service. On Saturday, the town of Ramona in eastern San Diego County recorded a low of 23 degrees, breaking the 24 degrees set in 2007.

Freeze warnings were issued for Sunday morning across wide swaths of the Los Angeles Basin. Residents were being urged to cover outdoor plants and bring pets inside.

more

Yup, it's freezing here. Bones are aching so bad, I can barely move. I feel like I'm over 125 years old!!!!!!!!!

lol@freeze-a-fornians... saw this on Jimmy Kimmel the other night. Wonder how well off those people would be in West Texas... temps have been in the teens a few times already this winter. They are wimps. lol

Yup, it's freezing here. Bones are aching so bad, I can barely move. I feel like I'm over 125 years old!!!!!!!!!

Canada would like to have a word with you.

Where are you, Global Warming ... :(

ugh, huge pet peeve when people say this. Hence why it was renamed to climate change, but one of the key points of the theory revolves around temperature fluctuation (both cold and warm) with the planet due to warming, melting of the polar ice caps that change large currents in the ocean, affecting temperatures in combination with la nina, el nino, etc...

Hell, here in Tucson, its currently 33 at 11am, with a high today of 45 and a low tonight of 19. Its brisk.

Oh come on, are people really complaining about these temperatures? I do proclaim they need fur on their peaches. See, I love when winter comes around here in Pennsylvania. It seems like most are miserable, and their misery makes me happy. So these warm days here are interesting, feels like spring. I look forward to having the bone-chilling cold temperatures and snow back.

Good thing i'm on the east coast, it's t-shirt weather here. :)

Same, a bit further west (Central Ohio), going to be pushing upper 60's, near 70 today. 20+ degrees warmer than Texas. (WTF?) Tomorrow.. low 30's. The weather is just weird this year.

Oh come on, are people really complaining about these temperatures? I do proclaim they need fur on their peaches. See, I love when winter comes around here in Pennsylvania. It seems like most are miserable, and their misery makes me happy. So these warm days here are interesting, feels like spring. I look forward to having the bone-chilling cold temperatures and snow back.

Well considering these temps in Tucson are 20 below average, and we have alot of people come here to escape the barren wasteland of snow, it is news.

Canada would like to have a word with you.

And what is that supposed to mean? Never cold where I live, and I very seldom ever see snow. And I love snow.

There are a hell of a lot more countries a hell of a lot farther up than Canada, and ya never hear people mention them.

People are always saying Canadians live in igloos for some reason. Where that comes from is beyond me.

And what is that supposed to mean? Never cold where I live, and I very seldom ever see snow. And I love snow.

There are a hell of a lot more countries a hell of a lot farther up than Canada, and ya never hear people mention them.

People are always saying Canadians live in igloos for some reason. Where that comes from is beyond me.

Vancouver is kind of special with that though. Here in Montreal we had like 2 or 3 foot of snow 3 weeks ago.

Looked something like this here for about a week.

snow-cleanup-northcott-122812_lead_media_image_1.jpg

Its been very warm the last few days though, so most of it melted.