Mum vs Windows 8 - attempting a shutdown

By placing the shut down options in the charms bar you have access to them from anywhere in the system.

If you place them on the start screen you always have that extra step of going back to the start screen.

Seems like they made the right choice to me.

• Like 2

Change is good but only if it's for the better, in the case of windows 8 the change is obviously not for the better.

says you, i think the change in windows 8 is great, my brother came over the other and looked at me and said what are u running told him it was windows 8, soon enough he had figured out how to snap apps and windows and move around like normal and i didnt have to show him

Change is good but only if it's for the better, in the case of windows 8 the change is obviously not for the better.

The changes in Windows 8 are for the better, and will only get better with time. Cry all you want, they're not going away.

The changes in Windows 8 are for the better, and will only get better with time. Cry all you want, they're not going away.

lol I'm not crying just stating a fact, this fact is further reinforced in the real world at most retailers that are selling computers with windows 8 installed on them.

Being a manager at one of these very large retailers I get to see up close and personal the customer reactions toward windows 8, not all are negative but the overwhelming majority of customer reactions are indeed negative and can even sometimes become hostile.

Corporate actually tries to force us to push windows 8, we tried and failed, people just don't like it, it really is that simple, for every 10 windows 8 machines we sell at BARE MINIMUM 6 will come back for either a refund or exchange for something with 7 on it.

Like it or not those are the facts in the real world, and it's not going to get any better unless microsoft does something about it.

Start, Arrow, Shutdown. > Win7

Settings, Power, Shutdown > Win8

Start, shutdown. > Win7 (2 steps)

Swipe charm bar, Settings, Power, Shutdown > Win8 (4 steps)

• Like 2

lol I'm not crying just stating a fact, this fact is further reinforced in the real world at most retailers that are selling computers with windows 8 installed on them.

Being a manager at one of these very large retailers I get to see up close and personal the customer reactions toward windows 8, not all are negative but the overwhelming majority of customer reactions are indeed negative and can even sometimes become hostile.

Corporate actually tries to force us to push windows 8, we tried and failed, people just don't like it, it really is that simple, for every 10 windows 8 machines we sell at BARE MINIMUM 6 will come back for either a refund or exchange for something with 7 on it.

Like it or not those are the facts in the real world, and it's not going to get any better unless microsoft does something about it.

Not with that attitude, you're not. You spit vile on here daily. How are you supposed to sell something you immediately turn your back to?

• Like 2

says you, i think the change in windows 8 is great, my brother came over the other and looked at me and said what are u running told him it was windows 8, soon enough he had figured out how to snap apps and windows and move around like normal and i didnt have to show him

The fact that you like the changes done in windows 8 is perfectly fine and I am happy for you and have no intention of belittling you or posting anything negative against you for it, but I'm far from being the only one who has pointed out the shortcomings and total failure of windows 8.

The customers who come in to buy a windows pc just don't like windows 8, I even had one customer come in the other day who said she has heard a ton of positive remarks about windows 8 and wanted to demo one and possibly buy it, she played with that laptop for a good 30 minutes and then approached me only to say "I think I have been badly misinformed".

After talking to her for a bit I realized she had been a victim of one of the notorious fanboy forums which I shall not name lol.

Not with that attitude, you're not. You spit vile on here daily. How are you supposed to sell something you immediately turn your back to?

I "spit vile on here daily"? perhaps you would be kind enough to post proof of this horrible accusation against me, show me one post per day I have made dating back for the last 7 days that I "spit vile" on here, I don't believe you at all.

You would think people who are lost on shutting down would click on the account pic in the top right corner and "sign out" from there they would see the power button on the screen. She also could have just hit the power button or the guy could have taught her where it was and she should remember it. Why did she look it up online?

• Like 1

Start, shutdown. > Win7 (2 steps)

This sounds more fair:

Move cursor to bottom left corner, Start, shutdown. > Win7 (3 steps)

I grew up to NOT touch the button on the front. You always shut down from the OS, and once it told you it was safe, you could touch the button.

Now we're being told to do the opposite.

I wish MS had a refund policy for this useless OS.

The fact is, 1) she's on a multimonitor setup making access to the charms bar slightly more annoying on the main screen in front of her. And the OOBE and main instruction for USING windows 8 is to have a go and see what it does when you stick your mouse in the corners! SO, tell her that and THEN see how long it takes.

Fact is someone put his mother in front of his multi monitor computer, added windows 8 to it, told her to shut it down without telling her anything about hot corners or giving her the tutorial video, and filmed it to troll windows.

Fact is shutdown, which is used AT MOST doesn't need primar GUI real estate, especially not when the idea is that you're not supposed to shut down computers anymore.

I grew up to NOT touch the button on the front. You always shut down from the OS, and once it told you it was safe, you could touch the button.

Wow.... You've been using windows 95 for 17 years....

• Like 2

This sounds more fair:

More fair for who? Okay, let's be equally fair then:

Move cursor to right hand side "sweet spot" to get charm bar out, Swipe charm bar, Settings, Power, Shutdown > Win8 (5 steps - more if you have dual monitors :p)

C'mon, let's stop nitpicking. It's not as easy to shutdown a Win8 computer using the mouse only. Move on.

idea is that you're not supposed to shut down computers anymore.

I'll be honest, I missed that one. I like to save my power bill, my hardware and the environment by shutting down. I recommend it for everyone! :)

Edited by Raa
  • Like 2

... ok. People have been using the power button for shutdown in windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, and other non-windows OS.

So.....moving the shut down option from the start menu (now start screen) is a GOOD change? Why? Everybody I know that has tried Windows 8 defaults to going to Start in order to shut down. Even if they watched the intro tutorial. Even if it is their 100th time shutting down. They either grew up having that method indented on their mind, or they learned for over 20 years to use that method. How is randomly moving an option a good change? Even if she did see the intro video, you know there are things known as habits. Even I still go to the start screen looking for the shut down button. Not because I "suck at computers", but because I grew up and had that habit indented in my mind.

Look I am all for change, but most of the changes is Windows 8 are not for the better. I use it 100% for desktop tasks for professional work. I DO NOT need to see the charms bar AT ALL, I have no need for the start screen AT ALL, I have no need for the app switcher AT ALL. All most people I talk to want is options.....what the heck is so wrong with options that you guys jump down our throats saying we need to "change our ways or die" or we "simply suck at computers because we cannot adapt". Man, when we bring up the fact that Windows 8 should have options, which would make it A BETTER SYSTEM since it will fix all the complaints, you guys act like if they add options, the world will end.

Thank god for Start8 just for the option to disable the hot corners.....it is so annoying.

Oh and no, you are not right that "The changes in Windows 8 are for the better, and will only get better with time. Cry all you want, they're not going away."

If you sell a product or make a program/game/OS, and you make a massive change WHICH FAILS, you most certainly will revert back. That is the way businesses work. Not that this will happen, but you expect if Windows 8 is a MASSIVE....MASSIVE failure, they would just continue with the way things are? No. We are consumers....we buy the product. If you make changes that annoy us so much, we will not buy which means you will not get a sale. That means your business will fall if you do not do something about it.

Again, I am NOT saying this will happen, but when people say things like "X will NEVER be back.....LIVE WITH IT" makes no sense in the business world. New Coke anyone?

• Like 2

More fair for who? Okay, let's be equally fair then:

Move cursor to right hand side "sweet spot" to get Charms bar out -> Swipe charm bar, Settings, Power, Shutdown > Win8 (5 steps - more if you have dual monitors :p)

C'mon, let's stop nitpicking. It's not as easy to shutdown a Win8 computer using the mouse only. Move on.

It's really not harder or easier. It's just in a different spot.

People need to adjust, it will take a while but once you know it's just the same

• Like 2

It's really not harder or easier. It's just in a different spot.

People need to adjust, it will take a while but once you know it's just the same

Again....why do people NEED to adjust to a SHUT DOWN button change? What is so horrible about having it in the Start Screen. Log out is there....

It is not like the world would have ended if MS did not move the shut down button.

Yeah, because if you put someone on Windows 7, who has never used computer, they will automatically know that Start Menu is the holy place for Shutdown option. We are all born with that knowledge, right? :rolleyes:

No, we all learnt that. Of course, there is a change in design now and one just needs to be told that there are options that can be accessed by taking mouse to right corners.

Fact is someone put his mother in front of his multi monitor computer, added windows 8 to it, told her to shut it down without telling her anything about hot corners or giving her the tutorial video, and filmed it to troll windows.

Fact is shutdown, which is used AT MOST doesn't need primar GUI real estate, especially not when the idea is that you're not supposed to shut down computers anymore.

Wow.... You've been using windows 95 for 17 years....

Lets make a dumb argument to counter what I said so it suits your argument right?

I was taught at an early age that the button doesn't get touched. Obvisouly I know how to use the bloody thing now. It's stupid that it's so difficult to find a shutdown in the GUI. Simple.

Anyway. Microsoft offers refunds for anyone that bought that stupid OS, so I just had one processed.

... ok. People have been using the power button for shutdown in windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000, and other non-windows OS.

People have been using the operating system button since 1995. What's your point mate?

Start, Arrow, Shutdown. > Win7

Settings, Power, Shutdown > Win8

Hats off! Never knew people here could bull**** that much. This thread is just another flamefest.

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I missed that one. I like to save my power bill, my hardware and the environment by shutting down. I recommend it for everyone! :)

Sure it's easy. Quick movements I mouse to lower corner and up, then click and click

It's called sleep. Your computer should go to sleep automatically when unused. Besides that, compared to other stuff, your idle computer barely uses power.

Windows 98 and I believe 95 also supported acpi shutdown, it was mostly the hardware that didn't. Which changed around the win98 time anyway.

Lets make a dumb argument to counter what I said so it suits your argument right?

I was taught at an early age that the button doesn't get touched. Obvisouly I know how to use the bloody thing now. It's stupid that it's so difficult to find a shutdown in the GUI. Simple.

Anyway. Microsoft offers refunds for anyone that bought that stupid OS, so I just had one processed.

People have been using the operating system button since 1995. What's your point mate?

Except you know, it's not difficult, it's just been put in its proper and more logical place.

So.....moving the shut down option from the start menu (now start screen) is a GOOD change? Why?

Because you shouldn't have to go to "start" to "shutdown". And because now, with shutdown in the settings charm, you have access to all system settings (volume, screen brightness, wifi, power) everywhere. Otherwise, you have to add the step of opening the start menu/screen. Instead they put settings in a universal location. It's all about consistency. That's the direction they are heading.

It's better the way it is now. It's more intuitive. But it's different. So it's difficult and seemingly unintuitive to existing users who are used to it working the old way. But is that really a reason to not move forward?

My favourite way, (and yes I actually did try it)

Remove the base unit, take it outside, smash it to pieces :p

Note:

That PC was ancient, I've had it since 2000 and nothing was salvageable on it

Because you shouldn't have to go to "start" to "shutdown". And because now, with shutdown in the settings charm, you have access to all system settings (volume, screen brightness, wifi, power) everywhere. Otherwise, you have to add the step of opening the start menu/screen. Instead they put settings in a universal location. It's all about consistency. That's the direction they are heading.

It's better the way it is now. It's more intuitive. But it's different. So it's difficult and seemingly unintuitive to existing users who are used to it working the old way. But is that really a reason to not move forward?

Well, the PS3 Controller is a 12 year old design, no one changed it because it didn't need it, looks like the PS4 might have that very same controller, sometimes it's better to leave things alone (time will tell if this was one of them)

Edit, just to clarify, I'm not against Microsoft trying something new, but the old, 2 click imo was better, all the other settings are available to me from the system tray, I'm not damning you in any way, I just don't think change for change' sake is always the best option.

Everyone is forgetting the fact that you are not an average Windows user. The fact that you are registered at Neowin and posting replies in this thread already puts you in the "well above average" to "expert" category amongst Windows users.

The OP is merely showing a video clip of what would most likely happen to an "AVERAGE" Windows user that has not followed up with W8 developments for the past several months. I think the OP is trying to show that there will be millions people like the OP's mum who will purchase a brand new PC with W8 installed and most likely encounter the same experience at shutdown.

We all know how to work with W8 but the bottom line is the average users without any knowledge in major UI changes in W8 will run into the same problem.

Having said that, after couple months of using W8, I have absolutely no desire of going back to W7.

• Like 2