Mum vs Windows 8 - attempting a shutdown

This again?

It's only three clicks to shutdown an 8 machine. No version of Windows has an power off button visible from the desktop, everyone had to learn where it was and everyone will learn again once they're told once.

• Like 3

You can either continue to complain, or put on your big boy pants and get with the times, because from what you say, you're on the verge of being left behind.

Oh grow up. So just because I'm not falling over myself to switch to this magical Windows 8 I'm being "left behind" in some form? Are you going to say the exact same thing for IT Techs in Enterprises (like me) that are not rushing to install it on on their networks as well?

Why don't you put on your "big boy pants" and finally accept that allot of people think Windows 8 is sucks on non-touch devices and stop acting like a big baby when we dare to speak out against it. If you personally love it then good for you, stop telling us we have to love it.

Actually in my case on my windows 7 pc, I can shut down by 1 press, my keyboard has a power button on it, can turn it on or off from there :p

(Turbo Spero, yes I'm aware it's a dinosaur compared to what's available, but hey, if it ain't broken......)

On a plus note, one thing I did like about win8 was having different wallpapers on each monitor, and having them scroll independantly, I wish they could have built this into 7 and not have to use stuff like displayfusion, but that's just me

Oh grow up. So just because I'm not falling over myself to switch to this magical Windows 8 I'm being "left behind" in some form? Are you going to say the exact same thing for IT Techs in Enterprises (like me) that are not rushing to install it on on their networks as well?

Why don't you put on your "big boy pants" and finally accept that allot of people think Windows 8 is sucks on non-touch devices and stop acting like a big baby when we dare to speak out against it. If you personally love it then good for you, stop telling us we have to love it.

I'm not strictly talking Windows 8. I'm talking future sense in general with any technology. The desktop GUI and workflows we have today, are not going to last forever. 10 years maybe less, before we're doing things daily, that's not currently possible with the desktop GUI on any OS.

I'm disturbed by the severe lack of any future outlook from posters here. As technology enthusiasts, we should be what's carrying computing forward, not holding it back.

I am sorry, the Desktop (or similar UIs) will not go anywhere. I have MANY people at work that have dozens and dozens of windows open. They sometimes have 6 windows open per screen. Going from complete free floating windows with no restrictions to a UI that has ANY APP run at full screen (does not matter if it needs it or not) and a 70%/30% two-apps-at-once UI is BETTER?

How? Why? I just fail to see how this is the MUST NEEDED step in computing or else the world will end? I will never get rid of the Desktop environment. I will never use a touch screen for my work/productivity....sorry it is just a stupid idea.

Again.....I am talking about the desktops here. Do not bring up the fact that this change was SOOOOO NEEDED because of tablets. Take a look at the latest OS X. Launchpad is 100% optional, and there is still the Dock. Until there is an official statement from Apple, you cannot make the argument that "OS XI WILL HAVE TO BE the same concept as Windows 8".

Finally, your parents or grandparents get a new computer because their old one dies....it has Windows 8 on it. You expect them to learn TWO COMPLETELY different UI paradigms? Assuming they work, they are most likely using Windows XP or Windows 7. I remember the issues helping people who have Windows 7 machines at home but Windows XP at work.

Not for you, no. So use the desktop. It's right there, still fully functional. Personally I use the 70% for the desktop and have a WinRT app off to the side of it.

So don't. I don't plan to use a touch screen for anything either.

I'm talking about desktops too.

If my parents bought Windows 8, I'd show them where the start button and shutdown options were, tell them a few things, and they'd be on their way. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a clue what you're all so annoyed about.

Not for you, no. So use the desktop. It's right there, still fully functional. Personally I use the 70% for the desktop and have a WinRT app off to the side of it.

So don't. I don't plan to use a touch screen for anything either.

I'm talking about desktops too.

If my parents bought Windows 8, I'd show them where the start button and shutdown options were, tell them a few things, and they'd be on their way. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a clue what you're all so annoyed about.

I was saying that to Dot, who believes the desktop UI only has about 10 years left. I can never see myself doing photoshop, programming, working on video timelines, without a mouse/keyboard.

Really.....does the desktop UI HAVE....absolutely HAVE to change? Are we that desperate? The wheel design has not evolved to something else. Why do we NEED....NEED to move from a completely open environment? Open meaning that everything is a fully floating window, with no restrictions on how many you can have per screen besides the screen estate. I do not care if that UI is 17 years old, it is fully functional.

Now on to your statement. Yes the desktop is still there, but it is more annoying than on Windows 7 without third party programs to disable the hot corners. Again....all we want is OPTIONS.

I was saying that to Dot, who believes the desktop UI only has about 10 years left. I can never see myself doing photoshop, programming, working on video timelines, without a mouse/keyboard.

Really.....does the desktop UI HAVE....absolutely HAVE to change? Are we that desperate? The wheel design has not evolved to something else. Why do we NEED....NEED to move from a completely open environment? Open meaning that everything is a fully floating window, with no restrictions on how many you can have per screen besides the screen estate. I do not care if that UI is 17 years old, it is fully functional.

Now on to your statement. Yes the desktop is still there, but it is more annoying than on Windows 7 without third party programs to disable the hot corners. Again....all we want is OPTIONS.

I never said the keyboard was going away. Nor the mouse. You're putting words into my mouth.

And "HAVE" in all caps, really? Yes, we HAVE to change. It's natural evolution. You don't change to fit the environment, you die out. It's a fact of life. The environment is changing, more so every day. We can't have progression without it. Did we HAVE to move away from the abacus? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from the large ENIAC systems? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from the CLI? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from Program Manager? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from Windows 95? No, but we did anyway. Same principal applies here. Do we HAVE to move away from the desktop? No, but we're never going to get anywhere by clinging to it.

The GUI will evolve to incorporate new technologies like touch and Kinect/motion sense. Things the old 80's/90's desktop can't and never will handle. Again, all you have to do is look at science fiction film/TV to see what's can and almost will be possible in the future. All you need is some vision.

Again....all we want is OPTIONS.

And you have them. Hell you just mentioned them. Why does MS have to provide for everyone in the universe when that's what third party developers are there for in the first place?

And you have them. Hell you just mentioned them. Why does MS have to provide for everyone in the universe when that's what third party developers are there for in the first place?

Um maybe for businesses that do not want to use third party programs/hacks?

And "HAVE" in all caps, really? Yes, we HAVE to change. It's natural evolution. You don't change to fit the environment, you die out. It's a fact of life. The environment is changing, more so every day. We can't have progression without it. Did we HAVE to move away from the abacus? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from the large ENIAC systems? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from the CLI? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from Program Manager? No, but we did anyway. Did we HAVE to move away from Windows 95? No, but we did anyway. Same principal applies here. Do we HAVE to move away from the desktop? No, but we're never going to get anywhere by clinging to it.

Listen to Dot guys or the human species as we know it shall die out.

ALL HAIL, OUR PROPHET, DOT MATRIX!

• Like 3

Um maybe for businesses that do not want to use third party programs/hacks?

They'll adapt. Just as they always have. Businesses were the ones who first mocked the mouse. Just an FYI. ;)

So, people in science fiction (which often drives technology development) aren't getting work done? Star Trek? Avatar? Nothing? You're argument makes no sense. It leaves little room for any development. You really think the PC will just stagnate with the desktop? Think again... This change was brought to unify platforms. There's nothing wrong with that.

I agree with both sides. With the move toward BYOD and smaller more mobile devices, people are computing in applet-bytes. Real work, content creation, will be done on desktops and most likely in a MDI environment. I would like the Modern UI to implement windowing, but then, wouldn't it be the desktop environment?

He's right in that DE won't go anywhere, at least not soon. The Modern environment just can't handle long lists IMO, Search is abhorrent for real search and context operations on the results, and file management is practically non-existent and IMO can never be as efficient as the explorer or even Finder UI for that type of work.

Updating and tasks along the lines of note taking will work in Modern UI but it is mostly for consumption. Creation needs an MDI in most cases. Drag and drop is basically non-existent in Modern UI. Snap just isn't there. The potential for a Modern UI only environment is there, with snap, but I see that being two major Windows releases, at a minimum, away.

One thing is for sure, either environment alone, will be better than both together.

Listen to Dot guys or the human species as we know it shall die out.

ALL HAIL, OUR PROPHET, DOT MATRIX!

hahaha, yeah, DOT can go over the top sometimes. But he's just young and enthusiastic about technology. A lot about the Modern UI is cool, at least potentially. And the whole BYOD movement is cool. We were all that blindly enthusiastic once. In a few years reality and the bottom line will set in. Let him enjoy it for now, lol.

Couple of basics which I would have done for Win 8

Start page is great,should still have the nice and easy Start Button to access it - why have such a great tool hidden in a corner?

Shutdown/ Restart - Make it part of the Start Page - we have all grown up with it there

Desktop - Unless your on a tablet, boot to the Desktop make Modern UI apps a second choice for opening files.

How are people at MS getting paid?

They'll adapt. Just as they always have. Businesses were the ones who first mocked the mouse. Just an FYI. ;)

lol yeah but in all fairness, the mouse made things more precise on a good GUI (at the time)

If the windows 8 design team had been involved at that time, they probably would have probably just moved some of the most used keyboard keys to the back of the monitor - because people are already standing up when they want to shutdown their pc and therfore it makes more sense....

hahaha, yeah, DOT can go over the top sometimes. But he's just young and enthusiastic about technology. A lot about the Modern UI is cool, at least potentially. And the whole BYOD movement is cool. We were all that blindly enthusiastic once. In a few years reality and the bottom line will set in. Let him enjoy it for now, lol.

What bottom line is that?

What bottom line is that?

IT & Department Budgets, the ramifications of lost productivity and downtime; all the things that prevent mass un-planned change. Many of the things that make some of the changes Windows 8 brings, immediately undesirable.

Right now you see these things as people being resistant to change, because they don't want to change or ride with the new ... sometimes the bottom line takes the fun out of the latest greatest gizmo, gadget, or OS upgrade. And it really is a shame.

My favorite piece of software right now? MAME 64 emulator with Donkey Kong and Pac Man ROMS. Technology is fun again.

I'm 25 . Been using computers since I was 3. It took me like 2 full minutes to find the damn shutdown. And the same as in the video, not even the more convenient charm bar thing.

I'll agree there, even some of Microsofts own Windows 8 apps aren't even preinstalled with Windows. You have to go find them in the "Store" (like Remote Desktop app etc) and the location for printing is terrible!

well maybe they're taking some cautionary steps. shipping IE with windows caused them no end of trouble back in the day.

Here's an easy way to have Shutdown even closer to hand, for people who need to shut down frequently.

Download OblyTile.

Make a new tile with the following parameters (images provided in attachment).

Shutdown with a single click to your heart's content.

post-17075-0-10599500-1358192703.png

post-17075-0-64103000-1358192713.png

post-17075-0-83935300-1358192745.png

• Like 2

We've been telling people for 2 decades not to do that! Besides, why should I have to bend over and push a button on my computer? On Windows 7, shut down is 2 clicks away. 2 FRICKIN CLICKS AWAY FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!!!! Not swipe, click settings, click power, click shutdown or push a power button.

No "we" haven't. Pushing the power button to shut down has been a part of Windows since Windows 95 and is even a part of the Energy Saving specs.

Educate yourself before spouting nonsense.

Like anything, our experiences is what determines the "norm".

I had a friend once ask the simple question, "Should I get a mac - all my friends said I should?", in-which I replied, "Not unless you want to re-learn everything." - to keep it simple.

She decided to ignore me, which is fine, and bought a Mac Book and I was curious - so I asked her, "How is the mac?", and the reply of, "This is the 3rd Mac I sent back, they keep giving me left handed macs", came back to me and had me curious.

The problem was the window minimize, full screen and close was on the left side of the window but because her experiences / expectations where different, she was lead to believe - this is wrong.

IF we rewind this just a little bit in time and say - IF we did not try change, the minimize, full screen and close window controls would not even exist.

Lets be honest, ALL popular OS's now make use of the same usability models and to separate themselves from the competition, which only now begins to edge in - is a smart move.

They will fix everything, they just needed to make the jump first - you can only keep you secrets - secret for so long.

No "we" haven't. Pushing the power button to shut down has been a part of Windows since Windows 95 and is even a part of the Energy Saving specs.

Educate yourself before spouting nonsense.

Well obviously 9+ people agree with me. Stop trying to start stuff up. I mean really? C'mon.