Photo

iPhone 5 components order cut: Apple under pressure?

iphone 5 apple

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,706 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:07

The thing is, you can now get very nice android phones with larger higher-res screens for just around £100 imported or a decent one like huewei g300 for £70-100. Android has word of mouth now, 3yrs ago most people hadn't heard of it. Now they realise they can do virtually everything on an android phone for a fraction of the cost. The fact that they haven't released anything for a few years, just minor updates. Also they have awful P.R from the lawsuits.

#17 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 9,978 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:19

It's not surprising, Apple declined after Steve left back in the 80's, and it's declining now that he's dead. He was the only one that really brought fresh ideas to the table. Look at their bounceback when he came back in 1997.

The Apple of the 90s was nothing like the Apple today.

#18 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,024 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:27

me and a bunch of other people have been saying for a long time the stock was wayyyy overvalued,and that one day it was going to bomb. all the apple fanboys were saying that it was going to reach $1000. all the dumbass analysts were inflating the stock with their ****ty nonsense.

its no surprise considering that recent consumer research shows teens think of apple as done,and think of Microsoft and Samsung as cool.

its all over for apple. this is just the beginning.

#19 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:30

Also lack of innovation , 1 MORE ROW OF tiles... Yawn

Hows that different than android. Just another row of tiles OS. I've used BB, iOS, android and WP and the only one I can truly say made me care that I had a phone so far is WP.

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,540 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:43

most people have a phone right not and as fast as these phones are coming out people just do not need a new phone right now so yes sales have to slow down sooner or later.

when most people can not upgrade but once every 2 years I myself can not get a new phone for 1 year 10months because of contract.

so the parts apple would have to order for my upgrade need to be cut - see how that works.

now do that with 20-30 million people ask them if they can upgrade right now.

this type of thing happens with all products every day all year round.

some of these topics smell funny to me

I agree, I miss the old, upgrade once a year method, and did think to myself that this could impact buying trends, especially for those who can just about afford it, myself included but alas, a lot of phone companies have adopted this method without a care of what their customers want, (I said a lot, not all and I am pleased that there is still the odd 1 or 2 providers out there that still offer the 12 month contracts

#21 Somnus

Somnus

Ban this ^^^ guy!

• 536 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:09

I found it totally surprising this last weekend when my son's iPhone 4 died and when I asked which phone it wanted it replaced with, he immediately said a Windows 8 phone. I got him the Lumina 920 and I was quite impressed with it. He absolutely loves it.

When kids are switching from Apple because it's no longer cool, they are headed no where but down.

In another surprising twist right after getting the Lumina, he wanted Windows 8 on his desktop.. blew me away. Teenagers are starting to flock to Win8 based devices. It's the new cool.

#22 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,786 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:55

i knwo i have less and less people ask for the iphone 5 more are going to the lumina 920 i was shocked at first then i got to play with one for a week ..... i see why they are growing in popularity

the only weakness i see really is the app store imho

in my area the 3 best selling phones

sgs3
lumina 920
iphone5

but whats shocked me the most is the amount of teenagers NOT wanting the iphone5

#23 TurboShrimp

TurboShrimp

Neowinian

• 320 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00

I found it totally surprising this last weekend when my son's iPhone 4 died and when I asked which phone it wanted it replaced with, he immediately said a Windows 8 phone. I got him the Lumina 920 and I was quite impressed with it. He absolutely loves it.

When kids are switching from Apple because it's no longer cool, they are headed no where but down.

In another surprising twist right after getting the Lumina, he wanted Windows 8 on his desktop.. blew me away. Teenagers are starting to flock to Win8 based devices. It's the new cool.

let us know how he likes the windows phone in two months once he starts to complain about the lack of and quality of apps

#24 javagreen

javagreen

Neowinian

• 1,439 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:30

let us know how he likes the windows phone in two months once he starts to complain about the lack of and quality of apps

I doubt he'll miss 1000s of the same-o crappy rebranded iOS apps and the stupid n00by apps which make up most of the "Top 25" or whatever-they-call-it of the Apple App Store.

Nice try, but Nope.

#25 OP +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,081 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:41

The only area the iPhone 5 losses out is the screen size. Needs to go up to 4.5". Right now it's a non-contest compared to the likes of Lumia 920 or SGS3

#26 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• 1,704 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:50

What are you smoking? WP has tons of quality apps. Sure it doesn't have 500 fart apps like iOS or Android. The same tired "lack of apps in the store" complaint is getting old and and tiring. Why can't trolls be more creative. Please just one creative troll that doesn't copy and paste the same generic excuse over and over.

#27 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

• 1,451 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:54

The nice thing about being on straight talk is you can bounce between different phones, currently I'm using a galaxy note international and it works great however.... the quality of the apps can be pretty bad, most apps are good and work as intended.
Prime example, I use key bank and their apps, the apple version of the app is top notch, works without any issues and is very fast, the android version is horrible, it really sucks, slow, buggy and crashes constantly.
Google voice crashes every once in a while on android and is sometimes slow and laggy but works flawlessly on ios.

2 months ago i was using a galaxy S3, for some reason it just wouldn't hold a strong cell signal, dropped a few calls here and there, the note is a little better, the iphone has never dropped a call and will still have 2-3 bars in some areas that neither one of my samsung phones could even hope to achieve.

I'm certainly no apple fanboy but I can't ignore the higher quality of their products, my iphone works flawlessly and is superior to my samsung phones in most areas, I doubt apple will be going anywhere anytime soon regardless on where their stock is sitting at.

#28 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:50

I'm certainly no apple fanboy but I can't ignore the higher quality of their products, my iphone works flawlessly and is superior to my samsung phones in most areas, I doubt apple will be going anywhere anytime soon regardless on where their stock is sitting at.

i too "upgraded" to a Samsung galaxy 2sx about 8 days ago, tried to force myself to like it. The only thing that is better then my iPhone 4 is screen size and that is it. The whole adriod ICS is better then 2.2 but still cumbersome and horrible to navigate around. The screen (model specific i know) is ok from straight on but horrible at angles. Apps are of lesser quality on the ones i use and are missing features that i actually use. battery life (model specific i know) sucks compared to iphone. Don't even get me started on auto-correct. Its so horrible on the andriod that it actually corrects my "correct" words into something else. Frustated me so much i basically have cut back my texting 75% this week while using. Google+ hangouts, yahoo, skype all suck extremely bad when compared to facetime. tomorrow i am "downgrading" back to iphone 4 thankfully. The small screen sucks but over all its worth the sacrifice. If apple ever gets the genius idea to "invent" a bigger 4.5-5" screen i will go with them too in the future, but for now, iphone 4 is fine for my needs.

#29 catilley1092

catilley1092

Neowinian

• 26 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64, Zorin OS 6.1 LTS x 64, Win 7 Ultimate x64 (in that order)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:59

Their stock is dropping like a brick. They've hit below $500 today.

I LOVE IT! I knew it would be a matter of time before Tim Cook would crumble. The management shuffle was a sign things were going south, otherwise why change? No corporation changes direction when on top of the world & climbing higher.

Tim Cook proved on his very first presentation (of the iPhone 4S), that he was not in the same league as Steve Jobs. Could barely finish the presentation. Jobs was a master at this, & even when he was very sick & knew it, didn't allow it to be an excuse to get on stage & do his thing. He actually was working around 36 hours before his death, a miracle in itself, as he knew it was coming. Cook doesn't have Jobs's work ethitc, his talent, doesn't draw the same attention when he walks into the office, & will be the downfall for Apple. He took a corporation on top of the world & single handedly wrecked it.

Now he's looking to China to be Apple's #1 market. Must have been part of his plan way back when Jobs was on medical leave & he decided to move the workforce there. Steve Jobs would never have done this (may have thought about it, but as true American hero, he wouldn't have brought it up himself), the board approved of Cook's plan on the Asia migration. At any rate, relying on China to be their #1 market smells of desperation. Apple's US customers are beginning to smell the roses & look at other products, tiring of constant issues such as battery life ones, among others.

Many analysts seen this coming, by now, most of Job's DNA is no longer in Apple's products. By the next release, it'll be zero. Steve Jobs made Apple from scratch, & Cook is a **** poor replacement for him. Cook was basically a tail kisser, a "yes" man, simply wanting the top job at Apple. Who knows, Jobs may have given Cook the job to implode the corporation, remember, he was fired from his own position by the Apple board many years ago. Sweet revenge indeed. He had to know that Cook was no clone of himself.

It's time for someone at Apple to come up with a new gadget, unfortunately, they don't have Jobs to do all of the creation any longer. And I doubt that Tim Cook will be the creator of it either.

The shareholders should have cashed in when Apple hit $700, as it's unlikely that the corporation will hit those numbers again. Mabye if a true innovator comes on board again, however that's a once in a lifetime deal. Steve Jobs & Bill Gates are of a rare breed, no one can copycat them. The chances of hitting a Powerball ticket are better.

Apple has some truly rough days ahead of them. Deservedly so.

Cat

#30 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,401 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:41

[Cook] took a corporation on top of the world & single handedly wrecked it. [...] he decided to move the workforce [to China]. Steve Jobs made Apple from scratch [...] Cook was basically a tail kisser [...] Jobs may have given Cook the job to implode the corporation [...] Sweet revenge indeed. [...] they don't have Jobs to do all of the creation any longer.

That all makes sense when you're high, I guess....