Photo

iPhone 5 components order cut: Apple under pressure?

iphone 5 apple

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,641 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:43

Apparently according Wallstreet anaylst this is all noise and are the result of better component yields. The iphone 5 is still selling like hotcakes. Iphone 5 compared to anything on the market is still pretty good. I tried the S3 and was shocked how ****ty the camera is compared to both the Lumia 920 and the iphone 5.

#32 OP +sanke1

sanke1

• 2,869 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:06

I LOVE IT! I knew it would be a matter of time before Tim Cook would crumble. The management shuffle was a sign things were going south, otherwise why change? No corporation changes direction when on top of the world & climbing higher.

Tim Cook proved on his very first presentation (of the iPhone 4S), that he was not in the same league as Steve Jobs. Could barely finish the presentation. Jobs was a master at this, & even when he was very sick & knew it, didn't allow it to be an excuse to get on stage & do his thing. He actually was working around 36 hours before his death, a miracle in itself, as he knew it was coming. Cook doesn't have Jobs's work ethitc, his talent, doesn't draw the same attention when he walks into the office, & will be the downfall for Apple. He took a corporation on top of the world & single handedly wrecked it.

Now he's looking to China to be Apple's #1 market. Must have been part of his plan way back when Jobs was on medical leave & he decided to move the workforce there. Steve Jobs would never have done this (may have thought about it, but as true American hero, he wouldn't have brought it up himself), the board approved of Cook's plan on the Asia migration. At any rate, relying on China to be their #1 market smells of desperation. Apple's US customers are beginning to smell the roses & look at other products, tiring of constant issues such as battery life ones, among others.

Many analysts seen this coming, by now, most of Job's DNA is no longer in Apple's products. By the next release, it'll be zero. Steve Jobs made Apple from scratch, & Cook is a **** poor replacement for him. Cook was basically a tail kisser, a "yes" man, simply wanting the top job at Apple. Who knows, Jobs may have given Cook the job to implode the corporation, remember, he was fired from his own position by the Apple board many years ago. Sweet revenge indeed. He had to know that Cook was no clone of himself.

It's time for someone at Apple to come up with a new gadget, unfortunately, they don't have Jobs to do all of the creation any longer. And I doubt that Tim Cook will be the creator of it either.

The shareholders should have cashed in when Apple hit $700, as it's unlikely that the corporation will hit those numbers again. Mabye if a true innovator comes on board again, however that's a once in a lifetime deal. Steve Jobs & Bill Gates are of a rare breed, no one can copycat them. The chances of hitting a Powerball ticket are better.

Apple has some truly rough days ahead of them. Deservedly so.

Cat

Some epic hate here!

Buddy relax. This is a good thing if it pushes Apple out of complacency. We will see better innovation and ultimately it's us who will benefit.

#33 catilley1092

catilley1092

Neowinian

• 26 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64, Zorin OS 6.1 LTS x 64, Win 7 Ultimate x64 (in that order)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:22

That all makes sense when you're high, I guess....

Steve Jobs, by his own admission was high himself (on acid) when he created some of the things that he did, at least in his earlier years.

Being high can work both ways, one can be a obvious druggie, while the other may function quite well. Prior to becoming disabled, I smoked on the job everyday for over 23 years & never got caught. I was in route sales, & quickly moved forward to a operations manager position. Marijuana made me very focused on my tasks, nothing distracted me. Paid very close attention to details, & got compliments on my work (as well as the salespeople that I trained).

Unfortunately, just as I had received another promotion, to a regional sales manager position that I had chased for the better of 10 years, I had health issues to develop, which after surgery left me unable to work at all. Having 20+ pounds of extra weight in rods, screws, cages, nuts & bolts in the lower region of my spine left me in more pain than marijuana could relieve.

My point being, that many successful people gets high. I know several home builders, other highly paid skilled workers such as electricians, A/C servicemen, other independents such as tree service owners, roofers, plumbers, & even a handful in the medical profession who smokes weed & are very dedicated to their line of work.

Most people who smokes weed are good people. In fact, if it came down to it, I'd much rather be in the company of a room of marijuana smokers than heavy drinkers. They tend to get aggressive & pick fights at parties, while the weed smokers typically just has fun & ends up raiding the fridge. Note that there are exceptions to every rule.

I noted that you did make a accurate observation from my post above & quoted some of the highlights, which I fully agree with & stand by. Had Steve Jobs still been at the helm, Apple's stock would have continued to climb, because he's a proven leader. If he weren't, the folks at Apple wouldn't have brought him back (after, once again, someone else ruined the company) to rescue them from certain bankruptcy.

The thing was, Apple was in litigation with other companies, but they didn't have time for the courts to settle matters, Apple needed a infusion of cash, & right then, not 6 months to a year down the road. Steve Jobs cut the deal with Microsoft (to the disbelief of many) that allowed Apple to flourish down the road. It was a $150 million loan from Microsoft that kept Apple afloat, & it wasn't "the board", nor Tim Cook (if he was around then), but Steve Jobs that negotiated the deal with Bill Gates to keep the wheels at Apple turning. Jobs had to swallow some pride, but that's business. There was & still is plenty of business for both corporations to thrive.

Yes, it does make a lot of sense. Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs, as much as he'd like to be, he isn't. Looking at the top Forbes 25, Cook isn't even Steve Ballmer, let alone Jobs.

Steve Jobs was the heart & soul of Apple. He ran a tight ship for many years, & it was only after his passing that it began to crumble. It just didn't appear right off the bat to the consumers (& Wall Street) because his DNA was still in another product cycle release.

Cat

#34 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,131 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:52

Jobs had to swallow some pride, but that's business.

He then spent the remainder of his life vomiting it back up.

#35 catilley1092

catilley1092

Neowinian

• 26 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64, Zorin OS 6.1 LTS x 64, Win 7 Ultimate x64 (in that order)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:57

Some epic hate here!

Buddy relax. This is a good thing if it pushes Apple out of complacency. We will see better innovation and ultimately it's us who will benefit.

No, it's not a "hate" post, I'm no fanboy of any brand of OS. I can run Windows & Linux. Windows 8 is a very good OS, most likely, it'll be the last $40 version of Windows released. Zorin OS is also good, I've been running Linux OS's for 4 years now.

Would have been a iMac owner back in 2005, had the salesman used his time more to push his product, rather than belittle mine (a Dell Latitude D610 running XP). He spent 20 out of 30 minutes telling me how inferior my product was, rather than telling me how good his product was. I got up & left, stating that I'd better get my notebook out of the building before it fell apart. Didn't even take the Mac for a test spin.

I was a professional salesman for 23 years & the first thing that I learned, is that you tell potential customers what they want to hear. No one wants to hear that their current computer (mine was less than a year old) is a piece of junk. The customer is #1, no matter what.

That attitude was what never made me second guess my decision, & I'm glad. One can almost buy two quality Windows PC's of equal or better specs than a base model iMac. For $1,300, one would expect at least 16GB RAM to be there, as well as a i7 CPU & a 2+GB discrete GPU, as well as a SSD + HDD combo. For that price with a iMac, one doesn't get half of that. A 512MB discrete GPU? They were being pushed, in what, 2007 or so?

I'm glad that it happened now. And you're right, other doors are opened. One can tell that Apple is a desperate corporation when low class outfits like Cricket Wireless (a no-contract, pay as you go provider) has the iPhone 5. These were once AT&T exclusives, which I'm also glad is busted up, between the two, they were monopolizing the industry.

Hopefully Samsung, Google & MS will now gain a lot of ground. MS has a ways to catch up, however, Google & Samsung will forever & always be a thorn in Apple's side. It will tickle me pink to see Apple's stock selling at the price of MS. Being that they plan to make China their #1 market, it may well happen.

At least one person listened to me, my sister in law, she dumped hers when it hit $700, all of it. No way with the current competition, could Apple hold that high of a market share.

Cat

#36 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,461 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:08

I wouldn't be surprised to see demand for the iPhone slowly dropping. It's an exceedingly boring, overpriced device with a dated UI and has lacked any innovation for years now. Having said that, I think its demise will be slow as lots of people will have invested heavily enough in Apple's ecosystem to give them a reason to stick around a while longer.

#37 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,385 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:19

The Apple of the 90s was nothing like the Apple today.

And the Apple of today is nothing like the Apple of a year ago. Jobs was Apple, and without him, they're just another mediocre tech company that overcharges for its average quality products.

#38 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,254 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:33

It's not surprising, Apple declined after Steve left back in the 80's, and it's declining now that he's dead. He was the only one that really brought fresh ideas to the table. Look at their bounceback when he came back in 1997.

The problem isn't the lack of fresh ideas. Apple has plenty of them but the problem is there is nobody to "cultivate" them and they are all allowed to produce fruit (products). Jobs was able to make Apple so successful (in my opinion) because he was brutal with how he selected what products made the cut and what direction the company went in. Jobs was never driven by money (he cared little for it) and just wanted to make the most perfect products no matter the cost (yes over generalized but you get the point I think), this is what elevated Apple above the pack. The people currently in charge (and who ousted him the first time) just care about the bottom line and investors, that's the problem. They need a CEO brutal like Jobs was, not afraid to make the hard decisions and who relentlessly cuts through what the company is doing and planning to do and cut it down to the bare essentials, because Apple was successful when they had a smaller line up and offered less choice but better options if that makes any sense :p maybe I'm just rambling nonsense but is how I feel about it.

#39 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 804 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:51

Yes, Apple needs to risk and launch game-changers like it used to with Jobes.

I dont think this new Head-Man is up for this, i think he will be Milking the Cow instead of pointing the way

#40 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,475 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 January 2013 - 00:16

There have been multiple reports now that the next iPhone will be introduced in June/July. Which means production is going to start within two months or so. Apple cutting back on iPhone 5 components could very well have to do with that.

#41 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:41

I'm not sure this is as much about Apple as Android. Android is eating Apple for lunch. Apple may sell 25 to 30 million phones a quarter but Android will sell twice that. The thing is, without Jobs Apple doesn't seem to have an answer.

#42 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,675 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:08

Totally different marketing, I would rather sell 10 million Pancakes for $10 each then 100 million for $1 each. Less shipping, less packaging, less everything for same turnover. Android is to phones what McDonald's is to fast food.

#43 TurboShrimp

TurboShrimp

Neowinian

• 320 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:15

iphone 5s coming soon nothing new stock prices will even out over time has nothing to do with tim cook lol

the amount of apple hate on this site is at an all time high

the amount of trolls in one topic is crazy

#44 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,675 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:19

the amount of apple hate on this site is at an all time high

been like that for years now with the younger kids here... they will move on eventually

#45 TurboShrimp

TurboShrimp

Neowinian

• 320 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:22

I'm not sure this is as much about Apple as Android. Android is eating Apple for lunch. Apple may sell 25 to 30 million phones a quarter but Android will sell twice that. The thing is, without Jobs Apple doesn't seem to have an answer.

you know why they sell twice as many ?

do you know how many android tablets are for sale in New York that are only $50-80 USD ?

cheap phones and tablets all over the world with crappy super super crappy specs all count to the total number its really a shame

here is a link to 12 under $100 cheap A@@ pieces of junk
http://staenz.com/75...s-with-wifi-3g/

its not fair because every apple product is top quality

India unveils $30 tablet PC (Android) – India’s iPad

http://latestpctable...ndias-ipad.html

this is why when I hear droid out sells apple I laugh because of a $30 Droid

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!