AMD's Vishera 8350 outclasses Intel's Core i7

A lot of paid reviewers favor the Intel chip compared to AMD's latest offering but this dude right here is gonna break down what's what with Piledriver

The wife bought the pile driver - she likes it. Needed to replace the stock cooler but other than that - zero complaints. Games on it quite frequently - I will see if she will bench it against my i7 and see what happens with Crysis 2.

It's not even worth discussing this review. All the independent reviewers including the most knowledgeable (AnandTech, Tech Report, etc) have repeatedly and uniformly demonstrated that Ivy Bridge just trounces Vishera in games, as well as any application where single-threaded performance matters. Heck, Vishera fails to beat the ancient Phenom II in many tests. It's not necessarily a bad value, but trying to claim that it's faster than the i5 3570K in games will take a lot more convincing than that.

If all those "paid" Website really pushed down AMD to make Intel shine brighter, I think AMD would have done something about it.

So, is AMD being stupid for not doing anything or is it a fact that Intel i5 is (quite) faster, that is the question.... But I think I'm going to keep on reading AnandTech or TomsHardware for my CPU info...

AMD is pretty awesome. But Intel is the best. All processors Intel makes now are fast, and stable. I'm a person who has a Celeron processor in my laptop, yet it should have a i3 at least as my laptop was made in 2011...

It's not even worth discussing this review. All the independent reviewers including the most knowledgeable (AnandTech, Tech Report, etc) have repeatedly and uniformly demonstrated that Ivy Bridge just trounces Vishera in games, as well as any application where single-threaded performance matters. Heck, Vishera fails to beat the ancient Phenom II in many tests. It's not necessarily a bad value, but trying to claim that it's faster than the i5 3570K in games will take a lot more convincing than that.

If all those "paid" Website really pushed down AMD to make Intel shine brighter, I think AMD would have done something about it.

So, is AMD being stupid for not doing anything or is it a fact that Intel i5 is (quite) faster, that is the question.... But I think I'm going to keep on reading AnandTech or TomsHardware for my CPU info...

What they said 10X....

Well, I personally love AMD. If I had the cash, I would build a system with the Vishera and an i7 system and do my own benchmarks. But even though I'm an AMD lover, to this day, I have not seen and AMD out perform an i7 in any benchmarks.

I'm pretty sure this guy is only testing the integrated gpu on the respective chips. Any serious gamer would have a discrete card, making this review irrelevant to most people. On the CPU side, the intel solution trounces. No fanboyism, just facts.

I'm pretty sure this guy is only testing the integrated gpu on the respective chips. Any serious gamer would have a discrete card, making this review irrelevant to most people. On the CPU side, the intel solution trounces. No fanboyism, just facts.

Nope. He says multiple times he's using a Radeon 7870.

Though I think some of these results are a bit weird, as I get slightly higher framerates in metro 2033 with my weaker gtx 660 and first gen i7.

Nope. He says multiple times he's using a Radeon 7870.

Though I think some of these results are a bit weird, as I get slightly higher framerates in metro 2033 with my weaker gtx 660 and first gen i7.

Doh! You got me..Saw those framerates for the 2.5d sidescroller and couldn't imagine it was from a discrete solution. Guess it was more taxing than it looked.

I've bought my Phenom x6 1090t a couple of years ago and it kicks ass to this day; most of the stuff i do don't stress it and even games behave very good in it (mostly because games this days are more GPU hungry than CPU). Also the price tag; much cheaper than a i7 or i5 (back then) and...

...real men use real cores!

i used to love AMD (still do in a way) but generally the intels are better. if you cant afford the intels AMD's offering is still quite good and at least you dont have to change ya motherboard everytime a new cpu comes out

Yes an i7 probably is faster. I have no reason to doubt that.

BUT why do you need an i7. if you're a gamer, you're only throwing money out the window. the i7 isn't ging to give you increased game performance over an i5 or the Vishera, not today or for the next 5 years, CPU requirements in games have plateaued at a far lower level than the i7, and will stay there. there is no cpu intensive gaming technologies on the horizon. all the new taxing technologies coming to games, are all GPU or GPGPU stuff.

Meaning you can buy a high end AMD for cheaper or an i5 if yo must have intel, and save more money for things that will actually affect gameplay like an even better GPU or monitor or mouse or whatever.

the only people who have any need for the i7, is people doing heavy video editing and 3D rendering. i.e. long intensive CPU tasks like rendering that goes on for hours. then you can render in 20 instead of 21 hours.

• Like 1

I hate to break this to the Intel lovers but, you do realize that AMD with far less resources is about keeping up with intel's billion dollar budget? Heck AMD doesn't have fabs for crying out loud, and oh and btw its funny how intel's tick tock stratergy has failed to leave AMD in the dust... think about it, AMD keeps up with intel for a better price.

Meaning you can buy a high end AMD for cheaper or an i5 if yo must have intel, and save more money for things that will actually affect gameplay like an even better GPU or monitor or mouse or whatever.

Well, you could buy an i3 and still go toe to toe with AMD.

Plus, you'll probably make up the difference in price between an i5 and a comparable AMD processor in your electric bill.

I'm an AMD fan, I the last time I bought a processor I tried to come up with every excuse to get one, but with places like Microcenter selling i5s for $169 + $40 off any motherboard, it's hard to justify the current AMD lineup.

I hate to break this to the Intel lovers but, you do realize that AMD with far less resources is about keeping up with intel's billion dollar budget? Heck AMD doesn't have fabs for crying out loud, and oh and btw its funny how intel's tick tock stratergy has failed to leave AMD in the dust... think about it, AMD keeps up with intel for a better price.

Finally a person with some common sense.

• Like 2

Not hard to "keep up" when you are not shooting for the top but somewhere in the middle, it's sad that AMD's best could be and is bested by an i3 powered PC, and the only reason they are still around is because they don't have to maintain any fabs, those things cost a lot of money to keep running

Seems to me that AMDs only purpose in life is to be "competition" to Intel to keep them form any bogus monopoly or anti trust claims

You missed my point by about a country mile....

Look at INTEL's r&d budget. and then look at AMD's... if intel can push out the holy grail on cpus and then right behind them comes AMD and misses their performance benchmark by a few clicks then its game over. now if AMD had the same budget that INTEL had like it did when the AMD ATHLON 64 Socket 939 intel would have to swallow its pride.

Remember AMD doesn't have the cash that intel does, and with the AMD FX they can either keep up or surpass intel, if I were an INTEL fan, id be ashamed. and oh by the way... how much more do you have to spend to get an CORE I7 vs an AMD FX 8 Core 8350.....exactly!

I rest my case.

• Like 2