Photo

What would Han Solo really see from the Millennium Falcon?

physics

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,577 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 17:38

That's a good point.

I personally prefer the depiction of hyper-speed travel in space as seen in the beginning of the original the Planet of the Apes. It looks closer to being real as you've described it.

I just liked the way he smoked a cigar before putting on a nicotine patch and then shooting up. No wonder he saw all those lights :)

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:00

And that's the thing. This article makes no sense because it's trying to apply the rules of physics to something that's clearly FTL travel. Immersion restored.

Well, yeah, I mean there's no reason to worry about it. The bigger issue of the Star Wars hyperdrive is that a ship coming out of it would probably emit a bubble of energy strong enough to blow up a Death Star all by itself.

#18 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

• 1,964 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:06

The Star Wars special effect is fine; nothing wrong with it at all. It's science fiction after all, not science fact.

#19 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• 7,337 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:34

So we can expect another George Lucas remastered remaster of the original? :p

Edit: The same effect was also used in Star Trek, but not mentioned :( oh well :p

Please no :laugh: but I think we are safe since he sold his company with all the rights to Walt Disney last year.

Read a little more into the sale, he owns $2 billion in stock in the company, which I believe makes him one of the top/major share holders, so he still has a lot of say so in what Disney does with the Lucas branded divisions.

#20 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 21:31

The Star Wars special effect is fine; nothing wrong with it at all. It's science fiction after all, not science fact.

Wait till wretched time dilation gets mentioned and how it (probably totally backforwards) works in FTL :whistle:

#21 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,335 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 21:38

but they didn't answer the question 'what happens when you're traveling at faster than the speed of light, and you turn the headlights on?'

#22 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,941 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 22:33

Technically, Star Wars is Science Fantasy not fiction. ;)

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 23:21

Oh well, one guess is as good as another I suppose. :D

#24 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 19 January 2013 - 18:35

but they didn't answer the question 'what happens when you're traveling at faster than the speed of light, and you turn the headlights on?'

Don't worry no one will see you coming. ;)