f.lux os x computer screen imac

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:06

I was wondering if anybody uses and seen any actual results in use F.lux (http://stereopsis.com/flux/) I use my computer late at night quite a lot and the lighting in the room I use my iMac is not great. Although the iMac does adjust its brightness to the ambient lighting in the room I was wondering if this program actually does help your eyes late at night.

#2 azspeedbullet

azspeedbullet

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:09

I use it for windows and i notice it helps me sleep at night after being on the pc for hours on end

#3 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:10

Try it!

To be honest, the weird colours annoy me but in theory the app should work. Seeing a lot of cool blue light can affect your eyesight and sleep patterns if it's at a time that it wouldn't ordinarily be daylight.

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:11

a friend mine swears by it (he is a developer) and he will be up late working on code.
I personally cannot stand it because it yellows out what I am working on.

#5 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:16

I just started using it about a week ago and I love it. It seems weird and "red" at first, but that's the point, red light doesn't interfere with melatonin production and sleep and stuff. I no longer have that painful squinty moment if it's dark and I come back to the PC, because it doesn't blind me with the full spectrum anymore. It does have the option to easily disable if you're working on something colour-sensitive. Highly recommend.

#6 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:19

I swear by it on my ipad, I wasn't aware it existed on desktop platforms, but can only imagine it's a good thing there too

#7 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:20

I tried it to improve my sleeping habbits, but I couldn't get used to the color.

#8 billyea

billyea

Your Two Cents

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:22

How to know that f.lux works:

1) Use f.lux for a week.
2) Disable f.lux at 11 pm
3) Be blinded by the intensity of your suddenly very-blue screen.

Before flux, your eyes endured that every night.

#9 Renvy

Renvy

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:26

set the at night mode on 4000k at first. I installed secretly on my mom's pc and set the gradient to 1 hour. She never noticed it.

a friend mine swears by it (he is a developer) and he will be up late working on code.
I personally cannot stand it because it yellows out what I am working on.

There's a mode where you can disable it for an hour in case you're an artist or something.

#10 GarakObama

GarakObama

Neowinian

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:30

I have night mode at 4200k. It the difference in color was noticeable at first but not once I got used to it.

I don't think I've ever seen an attempt at doing a study on the effectiveness of the program though. It could the placebo effect everybody is experiencing like those magic bracelets..

#11 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:37

I use it constantly to read a lot of pdfs... just put the "disable for an hour" option and see how it hurts the eyes when there is to little light and screen is at max bright.

#12 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:45

Just installed it on my work PC and like it so far (tis dark here) will try it on my PC at home, will be interesting to see how it goes.

#13 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 15 January 2013 - 17:16

just tried it, wow its so orange ?!

#14 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:57

I have f.lux on my jailbroken iPhone 4 and I love it. After using it for awhile, it seems like non-corrected screens at night are bright florescent blue bulbs. I believe it does help me fall asleep faster (in that using a non-corrected screen at night kept me up longer).

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:09

OR you could all just run your screens at the proper warm color setting instead of the terrible wrong colors cold setting every monitor, OS and tv is set to by septa dared today.

Turn down contrast, turn down brightness, set to warm color. Enjoy comfortable proper colors n your screen.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!