Gasoline or diesel?

I'm pretty torn in the debate so ill see if Neowin can help me....

I'm going to do at least 90km daily

Europe

4 door (or 5 whatever)

Big ass (I think everyone know that)

Used car

I'm not going to be much in the city; mostly highway

So which to get: gasoline or diesel?

I've always been told, diesel is better for longer distances on highways/motorways at a constant speed. So from that, I'd say diesel is your option :)

http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/Diesel.pdf

It's not as cut and dry as one would think :) And there's arguments both ways.

Also, since diesels generally get better mileage, there's less pollution from the production of it than gasoline since less is being used. This would be true even if gasoline use equaled diesel use.

• Like 2

Not being disrespectful, but modern diesel engines, like the new Volvo and BMW engines, have been proven to be less polluting than equivalent petrol combustion engines, now I''m afraid I don't have the news story available to back that claim up.

I just remembered something I heard in 5th Gear, and Top Gear (UK Motor tv shows, in actuality, Top Gear has been described as Children's TV for dads) when they were doing reviews on these cars.

In the UK tho, the diesel engine is rapidly becoming the king of the hill, because of how much fuel prices are, it also lets low income families, (and me) have larger cars than we could normally afford, due to some degree on savings per mile. My own car A Vauxhall Omega, is a gas or petrol engine vehicle which I'm looking to replace with either a Chrysler Grand Voyager minivan or possibly a Toyota Previa, 1, for family reasons, a 5 seater car is no longer practical because my mom has moved back in with us and in our family hierarchy, the youngest son looks after the parents when they become old, and 2, I sat down and worked out even with more than usualy mileage, beyond the ususal commute to work, get the shopping, pick up the kids etc... I stand to gain an additional 15 or if I'm careful 30 miles, per gallon.

But like I said, this is being dictated to us due to finances. I do not have a problem with Petrol engine cars.

So for the OP if you're in a similar financial situation, I'd unfortunately have to recommend a diesel engine car. (But acknowledge, that any small enigne car would do you well if you're only doing town and city driving) :)

Get diesel! Who cares about pollution if you are saving money.

besides new cars are not as polluting as the cars 10yrs ago.

I drive 99 golf tdi and sometimes I get black smoke, which newer Mercedes bluetec cars don't have for example.

Do you think you will run out of fuel on your journey?

If yes, diesel will be a PITA

Do you think your battery will die at any point ?

If yes, diesel will be a PITA, although not impossible to bump it doesn't do the engine any favours

If yes, diesel will be a PITA, although not impossible to bump it doesn't do the engine any favours

He is in an area where diesel can be had almost anywhere unlike in the US rual areas. I would say diesel as well.

If i had the choice I would use Diesel, as even though the cost per unit is more with the savings in efficiency you would save money. However, i would also take into account what environmental features a vehicle offered to counter the fact that it is more of a pollutant than gasoline.

Also, since diesels generally get better mileage, there's less pollution from the production of it than gasoline since less is being used.

Apparently you've never noticed those big tractor-trailer trucks going down the highway.

The stink and smoke takes my breath away !

And please don't tell me this is 'rare' -- I see and smell trucks like this every week.

post-37120-0-37944700-1358954261.jpg

Apparently you've never noticed those big tractor-trailer trucks going down the highway.

And please don't tell me this is 'rare' -- I see and smell trucks like this every week.

That was a little unfair Hum, you're talking about a huge engine workhorse, diesel cars have miniscule engines compared to semis, artics, tractor trailers, and if well maintained, they can be clean, no engine is perfectly clean, and I do agree with you that diesel is a dirty fuel.

Many decades ago, there used to be petrol, or gas engined artics, used to go through gallons of fuel per mile.

I'm not trying to change your mind, and to be honest, My post wasn't supposed to defend diesels as much as it has, but any engine, as long as it's well maintained pollutes less.

Since 2006 diesel in most countries has been replaced by ULSD, which is cleaner, but not as good for fuel economy as the older diesel fuel. I think if you ran a comparison now between a diesel and a gas engine in the same car, you'd find the costs comparable. In the US ULSD made diesel engines practically non-existent, the price is higher than gas and the distribution is terrible.

if you're not going for speed, diesel is the way to go.

just in case, don't forget to carry backup fuels.

err, why in the hell would he run out of fuel lol

err, why in the hell would he run out of fuel lol

He said he was going to be driving mostly highways and around 90km a day, people who only drive to the store and back run out of fuel!

90km daily? Diesel, hands down. It's cheaper, far better mileage at highway speeds and since the introduction of DPF and EU regulations it's definitely come a long way. Also, you'll enjoy the torque ;-)

He said he was going to be driving mostly highways and around 90km a day, people who only drive to the store and back run out of fuel!

mm.. tbh only idiots run out of fuel ;)

worrying about if you run out of fuel is probably not the largest concern as to which fuel you are looking at, just seemed such a strange thing to cite as a reason. :)

There's obviously something wrong with that truck. Gasoline engines pollute a lot when they're not running properly also.

I've owned diesel pickup trucks, ran different types of machinery and grew up around logging trucks, and I've never seen any real pollution come out of em.

I don't know where the hell you live, but it ain't like that where I live.

And diesel doesn't smell bad when running properly either. I'd take the smell of diesel over propane powered vehicles any day.

mm.. tbh only idiots run out of fuel ;)

worrying about if you run out of fuel is probably not the largest concern as to which fuel you are looking at, just seemed such a strange thing to cite as a reason. :)

I only suggested it because Diesel engines can't just be fed new fuel and started again (Not the last time I checked anyway) they needed bleeding to get the air out of the lines etc before they would start again, which although I know about that, would not really know where to start to actually do that

Petrols are happy to just be turned over a few times until they receive fuel again :)

I only suggested it because Diesel engines can't just be fed new fuel and started again (Not the last time I checked anyway) they needed bleeding to get the air out of the lines etc before they would start again, which although I know about that, would not really know where to start to actually do that

Petrols are happy to just be turned over a few times until they receive fuel again :)

New common rail diesel engines have a pump to bleed out any air which might get sucked in - and yes, the procedure does involve ignition on/off a few times with waiting in between. At least that's the case on my BMW, though admittedly I've never been close to running out of fuel ;-)